Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead Car- 12v battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove home yesterday with no warnings. Plugged the car with the home charger. This morning wife unhooks the charger, notices battery is fully charged, then car goes haywire. Warning signs pop up to pull over, battery indicator goes to 0 and cannot even plug in the charger cable. From what I've read on the forums it sounds like the 12v battery has gone dead. Service will take one week, otherwise I have a brick in the garage. Question: where can I purchase a 12v battery for Tesla Model X p100? Tesla or any retailer?

Drove home yesterday with no warnings. Plugged the car with the home charger. This morning wife unhooks the charger, notices battery is fully charged, then car goes haywire. Warning signs pop up to pull over, battery indicator goes to 0 and cannot even plug in the charger cable. From what I've read on the forums it sounds like the 12v battery has gone dead. Service will take one week, otherwise I have a brick in the garage. Question: where can I purchase a 12v battery for Tesla Model X p100? Tesla or any retailer?

If your car is newer, it uses a unique 15.5 Lithium battery that I don't think you can get a generic auto parts store.

If your car is older, it uses standard lead acid 12v and you just need to make sure it fits.

You can also buy directly from Service Center by your phone app and install it yourself if that would speed up the waiting time.

If your car is still under the new car warranty, the low voltage battery replacement has been free so there's no sense to try to buy one yourself unless you want to speed up and install it yourself.

Service will take one week, otherwise I have a brick in the garage.
Try this:

Gain access to the 12v battery (assuming it is 12v) and jump it with another battery or jumper battery - not a charger. With it connected you should be able to wake up the car. Then, turn on Sentry and remove all exclusions, this should prevent the car from going to sleep allowing you to drive it normally until your appointment.

Good luck!

Here is the bummer part: Just picked up a new Model X longe range on Sunday. My buddy who is starting a car buying service convinced me to use his service to sell the car when he goes live in 2 weeks. Otherwise I was going to trade in this car. I guess thats how life goes. Anyways I'm going to head home now and try to yank out the old battery and replace it.

I just got text a few days ago in which the service advisor thinks the issue is the main battery. A tow truck was supposed to show up yesterday and did not. When replying back via the app, Tesla stated the case was closed. I hope they are not playing games since my warranty expires at the end of the month. This is one big drawback of Tesla- service via the App. There is no human contact. If they do not contact me in the next day or two this may impact my decision buying for any new vehicles in the future- whereby Tesla will be deleted off that list.

Reactions: henderrj
I just got text a few days ago in which the service advisor thinks the issue is the main battery. A tow truck was supposed to show up yesterday and did not. When replying back via the app, Tesla stated the case was closed. I hope they are not playing games since my warranty expires at the end of the month. This is one big drawback of Tesla- service via the App. There is no human contact. If they do not contact me in the next day or two this may impact my decision buying for any new vehicles in the future- whereby Tesla will be deleted off that list.
Always keep copies of their messages, so you have documentation.

Reactions: henderrj
Always keep copies of their messages, so you have documentation.
Their messages disappear. I was trying to retrieve the message in which it said the problem was with the main battery and mobile service could not address it. I cannot find that message anywhere on the App. I guess I will have to screenshot all correspondences from them.

Tesla is definitely an evil company now. The only communication is via the App of which they reply only for their needs not yours. They rescheduled my service appt to Nov. 25. I did get a hold of someone in Tesla service. The guy kept on telling me to go thru the App and hung up on me. Tried to get roadside assistance to tow the car- no answer after 20 minutes on hold. I picked the emergency towing option- thank god the car did not stop in the middle of the freeway. I finally got hold of roadside assistance via the towing company. I guess behind the scenes they are really cutting corners or under-budgeting the service dept. After 3 Teslas it maybe time to move on.

How do you escalate Tesla service issue?

If you have any concerns or questions regarding your vehicle, please contact:
  1. Tesla Motors, Inc.
  2. 3500 Deer Creek Road.
  3. Palo Alto, California 94304.
  4. Attention: Vehicle Service.
  5. 1-877-77-TESLA (1-877-778-3752)
Good luck!

The tow truck driver states he has been a huge spike in Teslas dying out. This is due to a short in the 12V batteries, usually happens after an update. If your car is out of warranty they are charging about 2K for labor. I think there are undue problems that they are not telling us about. As for me, I am pretty sure it is the 12v battery. If this is the case I could have changed this myself and avoiding all this hassle.

The tow truck driver states he has been a huge spike in Teslas dying out. This is due to a short in the 12V batteries, usually happens after an update. If your car is out of warranty they are charging about 2K for labor. I think there are undue problems that they are not telling us about. As for me, I am pretty sure it is the 12v battery. If this is the case I could have changed this myself and avoiding all this hassle.
The factory 12V battery is a warranty item. If you replace it yourself, it no longer is. Most of the time, the 12V battery is a high priority fix. On my 2018 it was replaced twice in the four years I had the vehicle. Replaced in less than 12 hours in my driveway.

The factory 12V battery is a warranty item. If you replace it yourself, it no longer is. Most of the time, the 12V battery is a high priority fix. On my 2018 it was replaced twice in the four years I had the vehicle. Replaced in less than 12 hours in my driveway.
It's been a week. No direct communication from Tesla. On the App it states it is waiting for parts. Hopefully I will get the car back by the end of the year.