Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead Car

swedge

May 12, 2020
Oakland, CA
The photo below tells the main story: Car locked and completely unresponsive. Both batteries are charged and probably fine.

2021 Model Y, ~6,000 miles. We drove to lunch spot and were ready to head home. Car would not open. Tried phone and key card, no joy. Car not connecting to the app in spite of solid cell signals. Contacted mobile service tech who had worked on the car the day before, and he sent a different nearby mobile tech who tried repeatedly but was unable to open the frunk. I think the plan was to get into the car to reset and reload the software, something like that. But no joy, frunk would not open using the dead 12 volt battery procedure. So it had to be towed into the service center where they must have some other secret way to get into a dead-dead car, like maybe a big can opener? Anyway, with the car being in Park and no way to put it into transport mode, they had to use a dolly under the front tires and lift by the back tires. Sadly, the service center could not get to it right away, so they gave us a rental car for the weekend. (A gas guzzler Silverado pickup. I feel macho just looking at it. ;) )

Has anyone had a similar issue?

Both the tech and I were shocked that the frunk open procedure did not work, but back at home I looked up that procedure in the owner's manual, and it says "NOTE: The following will not open the front trunk if Model Y is locked and has 12V power." This suggests the 12V battery is not dead, but the car's computer is some catatonia mode.

It may have nothing to do with it, but the repair the day before was to fix intermittent false frunk open indications, which was just the replacement of 5 tiny screws to improve electrical grounding. Sounds easy, right? But those five screws are the "Front Body Controller Module Grounding Screws", which meant accessing, removing and opening that module, a 2 hour round trip process. The car seemed OK after that, but maybe something went wrong with the repair. Perhaps I'll know more after the service center gets to it.

IMG_7025.jpg

swedge

May 12, 2020
Oakland, CA
Nope. It’s weird that the 9v battery didn’t work.
I see there has been some controversy in these forums about the accuracy of the manual in this regard, and maybe there have been some changes in how the cars behave as well. But the current manual does say that it will not work if the 12V battery is charged, which I believe mine was and still is. If so, the manual may be correct, that the procedure will not work if the car is locked and has 12V power. Maybe I'll test the frunk unlock myself, assuming they do give the car back to me. ;-)

SW

mark95476

Jun 21, 2020
Bay Area CA
That's a good feature to prevent someone from ripping off a Tesla owner.

I hope they get your car sorted. Let us know what the fix was.

I see there has been some controversy in these forums about the accuracy of the manual in this regard, and maybe there have been some changes in how the cars behave as well. But the current manual does say that it will not work if the 12V battery is charged, which I believe mine was and still is. If so, the manual may be correct, that the procedure will not work if the car is locked and has 12V power. Maybe I'll test the frunk unlock myself, assuming they do give the car back to me. ;-)

SW
Nope. It’s weird that the 9v battery didn’t work.

swedge

May 12, 2020
Oakland, CA
An update on my dead Model Y. It is still in the Tesla Service Center, Dublin, where it has been for over a week already. Sigh.

Here is the timeline:

Wednesday, May 5 2021 the false frunk open indication fix was applied, replacing 5 grounding screws.

May 6 the car went catatonic at lunch time, as described in my original post, and was towed into the Service Center after closing time.

Fri, May 7, Service can't get to it till late in the day, so the set me up with a rental car.

Mon, May 10, diagnosis is under way, all day.

Tues, May 11, They found "a pinched wire". Probably happened during the original mobile service work, oops. At 8 AM I am told "we are finishing up some a service bulletin and the vehicle should be done today." At 4:25 I am told the car is not ready yet.

Wed May 12, they are still working on the "PT Sensor bulletin". I stopped by and learned the PT sensors were replaced per the bulletin, but the system gave an error so we are now waiting for a different part, the Expansion Valve for the heat pump. Hmmm. There was nothing wrong with the A/C before, so why did they attempt the PT sensor bulletin?

Thur May 13 I am told they are still waiting for the PT sensor part. Sounds like the left and right hands aren't talking - is it a PT or an EV we await?

Fri May 14, Part did not arrive, they said "I suspect we will have to adjust the completion date into next week". Now the app says estimated completion is May 18, next Tues morning.

If that is what actually happens, it will be 13 days down, all to replace 5 tiny grounding screws...

• Informative
Reactions: RayB and cwerdna

swedge

May 12, 2020
Oakland, CA
Now the app says estimated completion is May 18, next Tues morning.
Well, May 18 came and went. Now the app says May 24, but a subsequent email from Tesla Service says that the needed part delivery is "pending". My service advisor agrees that this means they do not know when the part will be available, and that the May 24 date is a place holder, not an actual estimate. It should say the completion date is unknown, an option not available in the service software. He also agreed that there was nothing wrong with the heat pump till after the PT sensor bulletin procedure. So, both this and the original "pinched wire" problem were caused by Tesla service. Oops. They did offer me a Model S as a loaner, as soon as one becomes available. Hmm... We'll get right on that with waiting.

Jjrss

Mar 9, 2021
Tacoma
Well, May 18 came and went. Now the app says May 24, but a subsequent email from Tesla Service says that the needed part delivery is "pending". My service advisor agrees that this means they do not know when the part will be available, and that the May 24 date is a place holder, not an actual estimate. It should say the completion date is unknown, an option not available in the service software. He also agreed that there was nothing wrong with the heat pump till after the PT sensor bulletin procedure. So, both this and the original "pinched wire" problem were caused by Tesla service. Oops. They did offer me a Model S as a loaner, as soon as one becomes available. Hmm... We'll get right on that with waiting.
Maybe the part you are waiting for also caused the 10,000 car containment...

mark95476

Jun 21, 2020
Bay Area CA
Thanks for the update. This is an awful situation for you. I hope Tesla makes things right and you get your car back soon.

I run heat and AC occasionally and my HVAC is working so I'm not going to allow them to attempt fixing something that isn't broken.

swedge

May 12, 2020
Oakland, CA
Maybe the part you are waiting for also caused the 10,000 car containment...

My wife thought of that too, and I did email Fred at Electrek about our situation as a potential research lead. This would explain why even Midnight Auto Supply could not get us the part - there are none to steal from other cars. (Yes, I suggested lifting the part from a new car to our service advisor who chuckled at the thought.) It would also make California'a Lemon Law unhelpful, as there are no new cars to replace ours with. I suppose they could refund our purchase price, but we don't accept DoucheCoin or whatever they call it. ;-)

We hope this in not the problem, because Telsa already has our $$ and will be very anxious to book the sale of all those 10,000 cars by June 30, so our situation won't be their highest priority.

SW

swedge

May 12, 2020
Oakland, CA
I run heat and AC occasionally and my HVAC is working so I'm not going to allow them to attempt fixing something that isn't broken.
Probably a good idea for now. But the Model Y heat pump also cools (or heats) the battery, motors and electronics, so unlike in an ICE car where failure of the A/C is an inconvenience, in a Y it would render the car underivable, maybe even unbootable, as the various CPUs need cooling too. So, if there is a reliability problem in the heat pump, it is worth fixing before it strands you somewhere, at least once they prove they can fix it.

swedge

May 12, 2020
Oakland, CA
On Thursday, 5/27 we got the car back, supposedly repaired. They put in new expansion valves and that did not help. They eventually tested replacing the front body controller module, and the "heat pump" problems went away. I suspect that when the wires were damaged, the shorts to ground killed circuits in the module, just a guess. So we got the car back, yeah!

Except... the original annoying problem of false front trunk open indications is still happening. So Service broke the car on 5/5, had it for 22 days and it still does what it did before. Fortunately it has only occurred when parked, and the error can be reset by actually opening and closing the frunk. So the car is drivable. Service says they are trying to decide what to do next. I haven't yet decided if I'm going to let them touch the car again... Perhaps a testable hypotheses as to the cause would get me off the fence.

But I think the dead car story is over. Phew!

In such service SNAFUs, has anyone ever gotten any compensation from Tesla? Some free supercharging or anything?

SW

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC