Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead destination charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The property owner is responsible.

I experienced a dead destination charger at a hotel in Phoenix. It had been out of service for over three months. Management was unconcerned.

Tesla furnishes the unit free, and anecdotally sometimes helps defray the cost of installation. But the property owner is responsible for maintenance, repair and the electricity charges.

Has anyone harvested the HPWCs yet? It seems, a good offer price might be around $200. It would be nice to see the chargers get a second life somewhere. I recommend updating plugshare.com to show the apparent shut-down of the site. I had to do that here in Texas once. Nobody likes to show up at a 'charger' that gives you the red ring.

I have the same problem with two HPWC and one Clipper Creek at the Pasco Red Lion right near the Pasco, WA airport. All are dead, which I'm assuming is ONLY possible if the hotel management has turned off breakers. I cannot believe that a single point failure can cause all three units to be off. I have complained to the hotel management, and get the same response: They are owned by Tesla and only Tesla can fix them. Sounds like BS to me. EDIT: According to Plugshare, it was BS:
positive_review_icon.png
Derek Sep 25, 2017 10:47 AM
Called ahead and asked the front desk to turn on the chargers. When I arrived both Tesla chargers were powered and worked well all weekend. I had my car set to 30 amps and I received the full 30 amps both nights. The spots are not really marked as charging only. I arrived late at night and both were open, but the next morning the other spot was ICE'd. As mentioned in my last comment, chargers will only be turned on if you ask the front desk to turn them on.
Derek Sep 5, 2017 6:39 PM
I talked with the front desk and they say that the chargers are working but they leave them turned off unless a guest requests them to be turned on. I will be staying at this hotel in 3 weeks and I will request they be turned on and report back what happens.

I have complained to the hotel management, and get the same response: They are owned by Tesla and only Tesla can fix them. Sounds like BS to me.
Definitely BS. Whoever you spoke with didn’t want to deal with the problem and apparently didn’t care about your business. Escalate your complaint up the hotel management chain. I suspect you will find someone who will not be pleased with the way that manager treated a potential customer.