Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put my car on range charge on thursday night and come friday morning, when i went to the car, it only had 150 miles of charge. My HPWC had no light on and nothing was working. The breaker wasn't tripped either. So, I reset the breaker and still nothing. Luckily, there was a supercharger 90 miles away that I had to sit at to get a full range charge for the rest of my trip. If not for the supercharger, this trip would have to be made in ICE. I also called my local service center who said that they will send an electrician and a new hpwc to get replaced. That was on friday morning, but haven't heard anything back. Hopefully tomorrow morning i'll get a call from them.
So this morning I opened my HPWC (after coming back from my trip) and didn't see anything burnt in there. Is there anything specific I should be looking for inside the HPWC?
I don't have a 14-50 installed there either, but there is a new SC location 10 mins from me. I will be using that till my charger is fixed.
Also, my charger is only 5 months old and i was charging at 80 amps.
Any input is appreciated.

I put my car on range charge on thursday night and come friday morning, when i went to the car, it only had 150 miles of charge. My HPWC had no light on and nothing was working. The breaker wasn't tripped either. So, I reset the breaker and still nothing. Luckily, there was a supercharger 90 miles away that I had to sit at to get a full range charge for the rest of my trip. If not for the supercharger, this trip would have to be made in ICE. I also called my local service center who said that they will send an electrician and a new hpwc to get replaced. That was on friday morning, but haven't heard anything back. Hopefully tomorrow morning i'll get a call from them.
So this morning I opened my HPWC (after coming back from my trip) and didn't see anything burnt in there. Is there anything specific I should be looking for inside the HPWC?
I don't have a 14-50 installed there either, but there is a new SC location 10 mins from me. I will be using that till my charger is fixed.
Also, my charger is only 5 months old and i was charging at 80 amps.
Any input is appreciated.
Did you try the red reset button on the HPWC? It's on the right side toward the bottom of the HPWC.

@JdCleary ... yes I did try that and it didn't work. I am not sure what connections you are talking about. The ones in the breaker itself or something in HPWC?
@Chipper... Yes, I did try that and nothing happened.
I did open the front cover to see if I could catch something in there, but everything seems to be fine and no burn marks or anything. Thanks for all your input.
Electrician is supposed to come by in the next 2 days according to Tesla. You would think, for something such critical they would get someone out quicker. At least I have a super charger close by to use.

Sorry to hear that. Not many HPWC failures reported these days.

When I got my HPWC, there were a number of failures being reported regularly so I had my electrician install a separate NEMA 14-50 as a backup. It's controlled from the same subpanel and it's breaker is marked with the legend "use only if HPWC breaker is off"

This problem just happened to me yesterday. I had charged during the day on June 21, drove around in the evening, then came home at night. Dead HPWC. No lights, house breaker is fine, reset button does nothing. Called the 1-800 number, they told me I'd have to wait til Monday for the service center to contact me... Sort of a bummer.

Service center told me to call an electrician. They refuse to look at the unit themselves, even though I was pretty sure it wasn't the wiring. I had two electricians come look at it. One was the company that installed it. The other was some random guy the service center recommended, who I had to keep calling to get him to show up. Both said the unit was dead and couldn't be fixed by changing the fuses. Now Tesla is trying to tell me I have to buy a whole new HPWC because it's more than a year old and out of warranty. Does this seem kind of ridiculous for a $1800 piece of equipment?

Service center told me to call an electrician. They refuse to look at the unit themselves, even though I was pretty sure it wasn't the wiring. I had two electricians come look at it. One was the company that installed it. The other was some random guy the service center recommended, who I had to keep calling to get him to show up. Both said the unit was dead and couldn't be fixed by changing the fuses. Now Tesla is trying to tell me I have to buy a whole new HPWC because it's more than a year old and out of warranty. Does this seem kind of ridiculous for a $1800 piece of equipment?

Well, the price is actually $1,200; see Shop Tesla Gear Wall Connector

OTOH, Tesla should offer a repair service for out of warranty HPWC's that is less than the cost of a new unit, or better yet, a fixed fee swap for a refurbished unit to avoid down time for you.

In the mean time, you can have your electrician change the breaker to 50 Amps, replace the HPWC with a 6-50, make or buy a 6-50 to 14-50 adapter, and use your UMC. Good Luck!