Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead key card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CharleyBC

Jun 28, 2019
Talent, OR
My wife's key card has stopped working. No response at all from the 3. Mine works normally. I thought maybe the car sort of "forgot" hers for some reason, so I went into the process to add a new card, but it doesn't recognize it at the step where you put it by the cupholders. Weird. Or maybe not so weird. The card has a small stress crack in it, presumably from bending over the past 3 years. It was still working for a while after she first noticed the crack, but I guess it must have split further and broken something critical within. Sigh. Off to see about buying a new one. Have others had their keys crack or otherwise wear out?

Its a $35 part, which is basically a credit card sized device with a chip in it, so its not unusual for something with electronics in it, thats bent / cracked, to stop working.

Reactions: mspohr
Its a $35 part, which is basically a credit card sized device with a chip in it, so its not unusual for something with electronics in it, thats bent / cracked, to stop working.

$35? I bought an extra set from the SC, and they were $15.
YMMV. When I bought two at the Santa Clara Service Center Nov. 2018 they were $20 each. Before that time I heard that some people were getting them for $5 apiece.

We'll be on the road, so getting replacements via the mail isn't practical. I'm hoping to snag one for my wife in Salt Lake City or someplace. The $35 online price is apparently for two, based on the picture, thought the accompanying text is fuzzy on the point. We only need one, so $15 or $20 would be nice.

For those fascinated by our tale, here’s the closing chapter. I bought two new key cards at the Salt Lake City service center this morning for $15 each. Super nice guy even programmed them for me.

Sure beats the traditional ICE car key … $150 for the key, $300 for the “programming”!

I’ll take the phone + keycard backup system 20 out of 10 times.

Reactions: mspohr and hcdavis3

Not really. Smart cards can be wallet-carried for years with no cracking degradation. They meet a very tough ISO specification. On the other hand, my Tesla Model S key card cracked and failed in six months of normal wallet carry. Anyone else experienced this??

Attachments

• Cracked Tesla Key Card.jpeg
    Cracked Tesla Key Card.jpeg
    614 KB · Views: 313
Not really. Smart cards can be wallet-carried for years with no cracking degradation. They meet a very tough ISO specification. On the other hand, my Tesla Model S key card cracked and failed in six months of normal wallet carry. Anyone else experienced this??

That definitely was not "normal wallet carry", it was obviously bent at that spot, perhaps repeatedly. My 4 year old key card that has been wallet carried since Dec 2018 still looks brand new.

That definitely was not "normal wallet carry", it was obviously bent at that spot, perhaps repeatedly. My 4 year old key card that has been wallet carried since Dec 2018 still looks brand new.
Not really. It was sitting in my wallet with other credit cards, and it did what you see. No offense, but I used to be in the credit card business, so I know whereof I speak. I have not bothered to read the new specs at https://www.iso.org/standard/31432.html....but I am certain that the durability specifications were not reduced!

...and a 3 year wallet carry one here that looks almost new. They are more resistant than I would have expected for their thickness.

I would expect a wallet to subject the card to a slight bend on its longest side. This is a harsh bend on its shortest side. Maybe a wallet that has a lot of "smaller than credit card" things that cause stress on the card?

Not really. It was sitting in my wallet with other credit cards, and it did what you see. No offense, but I used to be in the credit card business, so I know whereof I speak. I have not bothered to read the new specs at https://www.iso.org/standard/31432.html....but I am certain that the durability specifications were not reduced!

Ok, well here is a picture of my "carried in the same wallet since Dec 2018" tesla keycard i just took a picture of:

Tesla Keycard.jpg

I am not going to challenge your "credit card standards" knowledge, but this is what mine looks like after 4 years being constantly in my wallet.

Ok, well here is a picture of my "carried in the same wallet since Dec 2018" tesla keycard i just took a picture of:

View attachment 869949

I am not going to challenge your "credit card standards" knowledge, but this is what mine looks like after 4 years being constantly in my wallet.
Probably just a bad batch. Mine looks like a different manufacturer. I suspect Tesla has plenty of these failing.

I have been carrying my keycard in my wallet (as have my father in his) for a year and 10 months, and it has a curve (going vertical instead of horizontal in yours) due to being in the outer section of a full wallet (not the card section), but no signs of cracking.

As others mentioned, you either likely have unusual conditions or a defective card if it failed in just six months. Given the marks on it, it could be there is some sort of stress being put along the lines (constant flexing back and forth along a set line might cause something like this). What kind of wallet is it? Is it made of a hard material (or perhaps the card pocket is)? Or is it made with some sort of plastic? Some chemicals may interact with plastic and may make it brittle. But 6 months still seems too short a time.

I would expect the card to last about the same as a credit card, as that's pretty much what it's designed as.