Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • We just completed a significant update, but we still have some fixes and adjustments to make. Please see this thread for more details and to find out how to revert to the old design. Cheers!

Dead key card

CharleyBC

Jun 28, 2019
Talent, OR
My wife's key card has stopped working. No response at all from the 3. Mine works normally. I thought maybe the car sort of "forgot" hers for some reason, so I went into the process to add a new card, but it doesn't recognize it at the step where you put it by the cupholders. Weird. Or maybe not so weird. The card has a small stress crack in it, presumably from bending over the past 3 years. It was still working for a while after she first noticed the crack, but I guess it must have split further and broken something critical within. Sigh. Off to see about buying a new one. Have others had their keys crack or otherwise wear out?

Upvote 0

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Its a $35 part, which is basically a credit card sized device with a chip in it, so its not unusual for something with electronics in it, thats bent / cracked, to stop working.

CharleyBC

Jun 28, 2019
Talent, OR
Not sure we've EVER used our cards (although they are in wallet/purse as backups).

Why not just use your phone?
A few reasons. For my wife, the phone has been unreliable. Even for me, once a month or so it just won't do it. The other reason is taking your car for service or having a valet--you give them the key card.

Reactions: thefortunes

RayK

Apr 5, 2016
San Jose, CA
Its a $35 part, which is basically a credit card sized device with a chip in it, so its not unusual for something with electronics in it, thats bent / cracked, to stop working.

$35? I bought an extra set from the SC, and they were $15.
YMMV. When I bought two at the Santa Clara Service Center Nov. 2018 they were $20 each. Before that time I heard that some people were getting them for $5 apiece.

CharleyBC

Jun 28, 2019
Talent, OR
We'll be on the road, so getting replacements via the mail isn't practical. I'm hoping to snag one for my wife in Salt Lake City or someplace. The $35 online price is apparently for two, based on the picture, thought the accompanying text is fuzzy on the point. We only need one, so $15 or $20 would be nice.

dmurphy

Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2018
New Jersey - Morris County
For those fascinated by our tale, here’s the closing chapter. I bought two new key cards at the Salt Lake City service center this morning for $15 each. Super nice guy even programmed them for me.

Sure beats the traditional ICE car key … $150 for the key, $300 for the “programming”!

I’ll take the phone + keycard backup system 20 out of 10 times.

Reactions: hcdavis3

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC