Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead MCU - options...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, looks like the MCU has died in my 2015 70DMS (75k). Black screen, no indicators, won’t charge (was on scheduled), tried multiple reboots but nothing.

There was no warning at all everything had been working fine when it was driven 2 days prior and have had no history of any of the Warning signs of up coming doom.

Have been trying to find what options there are to us in the UK and the costs. I know it’s not going to be pretty.

Am I right that MCU2 upgrades aren’t here yet? Any idea when?
What are Tesla charging at the moment for MCU 1 fix/replace
Are there 3rr party options available here?

Thanks in advance

Hi, looks like the MCU has died in my 2015 70DMS (75k). Black screen, no indicators, won’t charge (was on scheduled), tried multiple reboots but nothing.

There was no warning at all everything had been working fine when it was driven 2 days prior and have had no history of any of the Warning signs of up coming doom.

Have been trying to find what options there are to us in the UK and the costs. I know it’s not going to be pretty.

Am I right that MCU2 upgrades aren’t here yet? Any idea when?
What are Tesla charging at the moment for MCU 1 fix/replace
Are there 3rr party options available here?

Thanks in advance
If it is the memory chip then my understanding is that only Tesla can fix it as the important data on that chip is lost and last I heard it was a full MCU replacement at a cost of ~£2500

MCU 2 upgrades not been offered yet. Rumours of Tesla offering reduced rates for chip failure but no confirmation.

There are third party repair options but you have to get the MCU unit/car to them.

Only good thing is currently Tesla have loads of service appointments free.

Can you charge the car at all? I hate to think of the cost involved if the car needs to be towed to Tesla and than they do a full MCU replacement, not much change from £3k I suspect :(.

If it is the memory chip then my understanding is that only Tesla can fix it as the important data on that chip is lost and last I heard it was a full MCU replacement at a cost of ~£2500
I believe there are third parties that will replace the chip and costs around £600. However, I think I would be pushing for Tesla to replace free of charge. I would say that it is not reasonable for such an integral part of a £60k+ car to stop working after 4-5 years.

Last edited:
Around six months ago, I woke up to a blank MCU. Tried all sorts of reboots and ultimately contacted SC. They had the car low loaded to the SC and I had an Enterprise hire car. Two days later, my car is ready and it turned out it was a corrupted software update. May be worth your while speaking with them and seeing if they can 'see' the problem and if it is the same perhaps even force the update remotely.

OTOH it may not even be related to an update.

I believe there are third parties that will replace the chip and costs around £600. However, I think I would be pushing for Tesla to replace free of charge. I would say that it is not reasonable for such an integral part of a £60k+ car to stop working after 4-5 years.
Agree assuming it is the chip issue, it seems that U.K. laws are more beneficial to the consumer than in some other countries so I believe that you would have a case as the car technically had this issue from delivery it was just a matter of time and it isn’t wear and tear

Thanks, I have read about the consumer law piece in the U.K. but does anyone actually know if anybody has been successful with this? It does seem a very poor fault and something that is just a letter of time for anyone with MCU1.

I spoke to Tesla and they are quoting around 1800 for an MCU and MCU 2 upgrade is not available here in the U.K.

Thanks, I have read about the consumer law piece in the U.K. but does anyone actually know if anybody has been successful with this?

I haven't seen any actual cases in the UK which in itself is suspicious, I think if you pushed it to the small claims courts they will settle beforehand and that may include a confidentiality agreement to keep you quiet...

@sclo I’d highly recommend @LuckyLuke‘s (LaadKabelWinkel) services in replacing the eMMC (no affiliation) - also if you are anywhere around the Midlands and are stuck in removing the MCU just drop me a PM if you want a (socially distanced!) helping hand.

We have just completed a 6 hr drive through France in sweltering heat to Provence. When we arrived at our campsite in the evening and parked we left the car to put the tent up etc and then went back to connect it to the campsite charging. The MCU1 screen had gone black although the dashboard screen still worked. We thought it might have been due to the low battery state (less than 20%) but this has never happened before in the 4 months we have had the car. We connected to the charging and the dash screen showed it was charging the car but the main MCU screen remained black. We then rebooted and the MCU came back to life. Problem appears sorted but I would be interested if anyone has any comments on why the screen would have blanked in the first place? Thanks.

PS Avoid Sisteron superchargers if you can as big queue for these yesterday in crazy heat although they have around 12 new ones at the back that look very close to opening. Well needed if our experience is normal.

Thanks, I have read about the consumer law piece in the U.K. but does anyone actually know if anybody has been successful with this? It does seem a very poor fault and something that is just a letter of time for anyone with MCU1.

I spoke to Tesla and they are quoting around 1800 for an MCU and MCU 2 upgrade is not available here in the U.K.

What became of this sclo?

Yes, what became of this @sclo ? I am taking mine in to Tesla in 3 days and need to be prepared for the argument.

OK so an update on my situation, if it's of any use so anyone. Tesla recovered the data from my dead mcu1 so now it's working. They had the car for a week but kudos to them for getting it back. They said rather than replace the whole mcu, they can replace a daughterboard which will fix the issue going forward. Sounds like a good solution that I've not read about on the forums so far.

OK so an update on my situation, if it's of any use so anyone. Tesla recovered the data from my dead mcu1 so now it's working. They had the car for a week but kudos to them for getting it back. They said rather than replace the whole mcu, they can replace a daughterboard which will fix the issue going forward. Sounds like a good solution that I've not read about on the forums so far.
Good news - was that an extended warranty job or will you be paying for it yourself? If the latter, what sort of cost as I'm tempted to get mine done pre-emptively but I would be paying?