TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Dead pedal - dead in 2020

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by XLR82XS, Nov 2, 2019.

1. XLR82XS

XLR82XS Active Member

I'm upset the dead pedal has gone away in the 2020. Seems obvious Tesla is cost-saving but a piece of vinyl over the area at least would be nice.

Anyone know if there are stainless or aluminum pedals out there for the carpeted/non-existent pedal area?

• Like x 1
  2. Skione65

Skione65 Active Member

3. XLR82XS

XLR82XS Active Member

Yes there is something available?

4. swaltner

swaltner Active Member

Let me google that for you.

LMGTFY

• Like x 3
  5. ivy_

ivy_ Member

What's that area look like now? Glad I haven't ordered floor mats.

• Informative x 1
  6. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.40.2.1

The dead pedal disappeared from the S over 2 years ago. I'm kind of surprised the 3 had one as long as it did.

7. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Active Member

Wow! Isn't the dead pedal just a cover over the wheel well? Did they move the wheel? Or did they just stop covering it with a plate and just use carpet there now? Anyone wanna take a photo? How do you not wear a hole in the carpet like the one most cars get under the accelerator pedal?

And how do we have 2020 Teslas? It's not like they have model years, so don't you have to wait until 2020 to get a 2020 Tesla?

8. XLR82XS

XLR82XS Active Member

Can grab a photo when I return from my travels but it'll be 2 weeks. There are no provisions for the mounting of the plastic plate - just straight carpet over the area.

You indeed do not have to wait for 2020 to get a 2020. I have a October 19 build - 2020 VIN/registration.

9. ivy_

ivy_ Member

4Q deliveries are flagged as 2020, based upon the VIN number.

10. XLR82XS

XLR82XS Active Member

I know man.... but there is no vendor offering an option that goes directly on the carpet. Gluing the thin aluminum ones to the carpet is rube goldberg.

11. ivy_

ivy_ Member

I expect it won't be long before options will be available, and $79.95 + S/H will make the problem go away.

• Funny x 1
  12. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

When did the dead pedal go away in the 3 ?

13. Kilotango74

Kilotango74 Active Member

Once again. People claiming there are differences in the Model 3 with no proof. Worthless without photos.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 2
  14. BreenDreams

BreenDreams New Member

• Informative x 2
  15. ivy_

ivy_ Member

So you are asserting the OP is making it all up? That he didn't take delivery of an October Build?

What would his motive be for such an assertion?​

• Like x 1
  16. Watts_Up

Watts_Up Active Member

Since everyone install floor covers in their new Model 3, the dead pedal existing aluminium cover would be covered anyway.

Note: The Website indicates now 322 miles instead of 310 miles, so Tesla must have find a way to save weight? /s

17. Kilotango74

Kilotango74 Active Member

No. But for goodness sake people post some damn photos. Is it so hard to believe that I want to see the difference. How are floor mats going to fit? What does it look like? Is it a smooth transistion across the floor or is there still a hump with no pad? Post a picture!!! That’s all I’m saying.

• Disagree x 1
  18. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Dead pedal can also be there, if there is just thin carpet over a hard base. Will give most of the feedback of a hard mounted actual pedal.

Purpose to the dead pedal for racers is to give some feedback of the road surface and tire contact. Not really of much benefit for street driven cars.

Putting the edge of your foot up against a hard or plastic surface can also give you some direct feedback.

• Helpful x 1
  19. XLR82XS

XLR82XS Active Member

None. I' m travelling and can't get a photo NOW of the dead pedal. Jesus people! The area is just carpeted.

• Funny x 2
  20. XLR82XS

XLR82XS Active Member

Not true. Dead pedals are in all my other vehicles and they prevent premature wearing since a foot is always there. The "new" floor mats do have a provision that covers the area up.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1