Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead pedal - dead in 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
but they didn't actually REMOVE the pedal. the bump is still there. they just got rid of the plastic cover. i can't imagine they'd change the interior space just because of that. from all accounts and pictures, the placing is identical, it's just missing the cover.
They probably can't remove the bump can the, isn't the wheel there? The question is whether or not the removal gives 1/4" more room or so.

They probably can't remove the bump can the, isn't the wheel there? The question is whether or not the removal gives 1/4" more room or so.
Actually you can remove the hard foam monstrosity. And I have another 1-2 inches of flexible space for my left leg. And more room to be had once I mace an incision or 2 in the carpet to allow it to lay flat. That thing is huge.

Attachments

• 20191115_201208.jpg
    20191115_201208.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 564
  • 20191115_201147.jpg
    20191115_201147.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 501
  • 20191115_200953.jpg
    20191115_200953.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 699
I'm surprised people with EAP aren't complaining about a lack of a right foot dead pedal. The few times I have tested Autopilot, I need to keep my foot ready to intercede, but you can't rest it on the throttle and placing it on the floor would be dangerous for quick action. So you have to hover uncomfortably.

• Funny
Reactions: SigNC
Perhaps you are doing it wrong.

For the most part autopilot works great, no hovering required. The only time I hover my foot is when I am testing AP it to the limits, ie. a winding two lane road when approaching a right turning bend with oncoming traffic.

Perhaps you are doing it wrong.

For the most part autopilot works great, no hovering required. The only time I hover my foot is when I am testing AP it to the limits, ie. a winding two lane road when approaching a right turning bend with oncoming traffic.
Also, with the new Hold setting you sit at a light with your foot hovering above the throttle since you don't rest it on the brake pedal. We need a right foot dead pedal.

I may be in the minority that found the dead pedal too aggressive, unless I unnecessarily move the seat way back at the expensive of rear passenger leg room.

Actually you can remove the hard foam monstrosity. And I have another 1-2 inches of flexible space for my left leg. And more room to be had once I mace an incision or 2 in the carpet to allow it to lay flat. That thing is huge.
I also removed the foam insert and replaced with a less aggressive piece that I've fabricated. Curious where did you make the incision to the carpet to allow it lay flat? Got a pic?

Reactions: beachmiles
I may be in the minority that found the dead pedal too aggressive, unless I unnecessarily move the seat way back at the expensive of rear passenger leg room.

I also removed the foam insert and replaced with a less aggressive piece that I've fabricated. Curious where did you make the incision to the carpet to allow it lay flat? Got a pic?
I still haven't done the incision. Did you fabricate the piece from a similar hard foam? I still haven't gotten around to making a 3d part that connects the left sidewall and extends it to fill the gap left from the new foot room.

I still haven't done the incision. Did you fabricate the piece from a similar hard foam? I still haven't gotten around to making a 3d part that connects the left sidewall and extends it to fill the gap left from the new foot room.
Looks like you and I are at the same juncture. I haven't committed on how I'm going to cut the carpet, because it's a single shooter. Did you notice the entire carpet lining spans the whole left of the cabin front-to-back? :eek: Not an easy replacement! I did go as far as cutting some 'x' incisions so the pegs of the dead pedal would fit through. I'm currently using a packing foam block, which is a bit softer than the stock foam. For now, I've also left the sidewall notch unaccounted for, as this was a proof of concept. Am really enjoying the extra leg room on long trips.

I think for my final approach, I will cut into the oem foam block instead. It'll already have the side-notch provisioned!

Reactions: beachmiles
Perhaps off topic, but I love the LMGTFY. Thanks for a chuckle.
Ah yes, good ol LMGTFY. Brings back memories of 2007/2008.

Coming back on topic, would be great to see pics of 2020s drivers side footwells with either:

a. dead pedal foam removed and carpet or floor mat trims
b. dead pedal retrofits (using the foam pad anchor points still under the oe carpeting)