Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead reversing camera (presumably software)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DopeGhoti

Aug 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
When I was parking at work today, the reversing camera showed naught but for the white lines predicting my car's path. I gave it a few seconds, but it never came 'online', as it were. I am still capable of using the old Mark I Eyeball fortunately, and was able to park without further incident, but is this a common problem? When I head out to lunch today, if it's still happening, I'll try a soft reboot, but if that doesn't bring my camera back is there anything further I can do rather than add an item to my already-scheduled service appointment next week for an unrelated issue?

Reboot--also sometimes going out of Reverse, back to Park, then back to reverse helps--this is a known 'feature' now better for me with later firmware updates.
"Jiggling the handle" to flip R-D-R didn't help this morning, but I'll try that next time (if there is a next time). The camera was perfectly operable on my lunch run today, happily.

When I was parking at work today, the reversing camera showed naught but for the white lines predicting my car's path. I gave it a few seconds, but it never came 'online', as it were. I am still capable of using the old Mark I Eyeball fortunately, and was able to park without further incident, but is this a common problem? When I head out to lunch today, if it's still happening, I'll try a soft reboot, but if that doesn't bring my camera back is there anything further I can do rather than add an item to my already-scheduled service appointment next week for an unrelated issue?

On some firmwares this has happened more often than others. For me, once it happens, nothing fixes it but the car going fully to sleep. Rebooting has never fixed it for that "session" in the car. The car has had to go fully asleep, then it works again. Hasent happened to me in a while though... probably 5 months ago was the last time it happened (bought my car in december of 2018).

• Informative
Reactions: vickh and DopeGhoti