Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead Roadster 2.5 in Norway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On page 1 you show Code 887
Code:
887 | Red | | Can’t start Version number mismatch | Paired with 1553
1553 | Red | Software problem, Service required | VMS: VMS firmware version doesn’t match car wide release Dump log over usb, check flash/messages, for most recent “VMS: VMS restarted” line, compare with VMS version in flash/firmware.rc file

I think someone posted recently about something like this. There was some firmware corruption. A refrash at the SC fixed it.

Gruber also mentions something about this in a recent newsletter and said they are working with Tesla on cause (10yr old flash memory going bad?) and solution.

• Informative
Reactions: ra88it
I did insert the Service Disconnect plug after fixing the 12v battery, before starting with the big battery.
upload_2020-6-16_8-29-14.png
upload_2020-6-16_8-30-36.png

So I guess a BMB board might have not been seated correctly or one of the cables was loose.

I'm waiting for Tesla to answer my email, do I need to bring the roadster back? I does not want to drive or charge.
Contact Gruber (call them). I know they are located in the United States but they maybe able to walk you through the steps where you can possibly fix it yourself. Visit their website and call them. Another person who would be able to walk you through is Carl Medlock in Seattle. Both have helped others around the world as well and I don't they charge you by giving advice over the phone.

Refer to attached diagram. The DMC, DMC_LD, TMC and PM are all in the PEM box, on that powertrain bus. Similarly, SHIFT (or GS).

But, HVAC is on a completely different bus (Energy Storage bus).

Problem could be CAN bus connections, or fuses powering those modules. It could also be firmware messed up, or not matching, in one or more modules. I agree that from the voltages measured the ESS looks fine - but the BMB boards themselves may have issues (hence Tesla's comment about battery issue).

I would suggest to check fuses, and CAN bus connectors (plus traffic if you can). If you have OVMS in the car, you can see all three CAN buses.

If that is ok, it would have to go back to Tesla to have them fix the firmware issues.

Firmware-Processors_diagramER.png

The answer from Tesla in Norwegian/Google translate English:

"Vår diagnose av batteriet var; ingen / dårlig kommunikasjon mellom BMB og BSM. Feilmeldingene ID: 887 og ID: 1535 er pga. at det er en ny PEM i bilen som ikke har firmware. Firmware ble ikke installert fordi batteriet fungerte ikke da vi hadde bilen og ville ikke gått gjennom men batteriet i den tilstanden det var.

Vi antar at dersom batteriet nå er OK, vil bilen til å starte og lade om firmware blir installert.

Firmware kan ikke flashes OTS på Roadster, vi må koble til fysisk for å installere det.

Vi fylte kjølevæske da vi installerte batteriet, men med batteriet i den tilstand det var satt vi aldri strøm på på bilen så vi fikk kjørt kjølevæske pumpen. Så grunnen til at du har fått fylt 2 liter væske er nok pga. luftbobler i systemet.

Den ene knappen på ladekabelen, grønn knapp merket «RESET» må trykkes inn etter kabelen er koblet til veggkontakt, dette er en automatsikring.

Vi antar at alle feilmeldingene forsvinner om bilen får firmware og lading testet."

"Our diagnosis of the battery was; no / poor communication between BMB and BSM. The error messages ID: 887 and ID: 1535 are due. that there is a new PEM in the car that does not have firmware. Firmware was not installed because the battery did not work when we had the car and would not go through but the battery in the condition it was.

We assume that if the battery is now OK, the car will start and recharge the firmware.

Firmware cannot be flashed OTS on Roadster, we need to physically connect to install it.

We filled the coolant when we installed the battery, but with the battery in the condition it was never put on the car so we had to run the coolant pump. So the reason why you have got 2 liters of liquid is enough due to. air bubbles in the system.

One button on the charging cable, green button labeled "RESET" must be pressed after the cable is connected to a wall socket, this is a circuit breaker.

We assume that all error messages disappear if the car gets firmware and charging tested."

Reactions: drewski
Time for a update. Tesla flashed the firmware in the PEM, new fault came up.

They blamed the 400V controller, and would test it and replace when they got the part.
The part arrived but, everyone was on vacation it has taken some time.

After testing, it seems there is no high voltage comming from the battery.

They took the car back for diagnosis and came to the conclution that the "HV AC Fuse" has blown inside the battery and they can only offer a battery service by shipping it to Tesla US, or replace it with a 3.0 upgrade but with no guarantee on how long it will take. It may that offer was probably Q1 2021 with no guarantee.

Now, does anyone have any information on this fuse? Location, spec, service manual?
Hard to google a HV AC fuse as it gets overloadet with "Heating Ventilation and Air Condition" hits.

Anyone know of third party service centers in Europe? As close as possible to Norway, or preferably in Norway.

After testing, it seems there is no high voltage comming from the battery.

They took the car back for diagnosis and came to the conclution that the "HV AC Fuse" has blown inside the battery and they can only offer a battery service by shipping it to Tesla US, or replace it with a 3.0 upgrade but with no guarantee on how long it will take. It may that offer was probably Q1 2021 with no guarantee.

Now, does anyone have any information on this fuse? Location, spec, service manual?
Hard to google a HV AC fuse as it gets overloadet with "Heating Ventilation and Air Condition" hits.

Anyone know of third party service centers in Europe? As close as possible to Norway, or preferably in Norway.

Been there. Done that. Exactly the same thing happened to mine. The 400V controller in the front blew, and that took out the big fuse inside the ESS (or one half of it). The symptom I had was a loud 'pop' when the car was turned on (picking it up from the service centre, with the engineers looking on, conveniently), then all power went out except for the emergency stuff on the little 12v battery. The entire ESS needs to be removed from the car, and opened up, to replace that fuse. Then the 400V controller as well.

• Informative
Reactions: drewski
Stuck again. We opened the battery and no broken fuse.

The errors that are left are 288 and 264.

According to the logs (that Gruber helped me read). The error 288 occured 16. January and has been there since.
That is probably when Tesla installed the rebuilt PEM. Tesla had the car a month before that.

How to test the PEM? I think the PEM might have issues, Tesla blames the battery.