Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead Roadster Battery in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTO84, Today at 7:56 PM
Hi to my fellow Tesla Roadster Owners , I recently purchased the car of my dreams. My Tesla Roadster arrived in Australia with a completely flat battery. Being a trainee in hybrid & electric vehicles ,fellow students & our teacher helped me remove the battery pack from the vehicle and we devised a plane to regenerate it . It took a while but we were successful.Unfortunately the area where we carried out the procedure was damaged by fire and yes ,you guessed it the battery was also destroyed. My attempts through Tesla Australia to get prices on a replacement unit have been unsuccessful. Is there anyone out there that can help me? I really want to get this Icon on the road again. Thanks BTO 84

Reactions: dhrivnak
Hi to my fellow Tesla Roadster Owners , I recently purchased the car of my dreams. My Tesla Roadster arrived in Australia with a completely flat battery. Being a trainee in hybrid & electric vehicles ,fellow students & our teacher helped me remove the battery pack from the vehicle and we devised a plane to regenerate it . It took a while but we were successful.Unfortunately the area where we carried out the procedure was damaged by fire and yes ,you guessed it the battery was also destroyed. My attempts through Tesla Australia to get prices on a replacement unit have been unsuccessful. Is there anyone out there that can help me? I really want to get this Icon on the road again. Thanks BTO 84
Can you not purchase a new 3.0 battery? I would assume that route should be open to anyone.

I would think that some sort of battery should be available. In as much as I pre-purchased the first replacement battery for my Roadster when I bought it in 2011, I know there should be a battery for me that has the same specs as my original, in addition to the offer to upgrade to the 3.0 battery for an extra feel.

I would think that some sort of battery should be available. In as much as I pre-purchased the first replacement battery for my Roadster when I bought it in 2011, I know there should be a battery for me that has the same specs as my original, in addition to the offer to upgrade to the 3.0 battery for an extra feel.
Being in Australia we cant purchase through the US Shop.
The battery pack has been destroyed by fire. Im trying to upload a picture of it but for some reason the file is too big.

You will most likely have to get a battery shipped in from the US. Have you called Tesla AU support yet? ( 1800646952) Emails can often be slow with support.

Also im curious as to the training you are taking, is it through tafe? What is the certification you will achieve when done.

I have spoken to Tesla Australia several times with little success. From what i can work out my correspondence goes through a chain of command. I have conversed several times with Adriano from the Tesla service center in Sydney. I received a rough quote from him but nothing that will suffice what is required for the insurance company. Would it not be better to deal direct with the US directly? Both the insurer & myself want to expedite a solution to this situation. Mta Queensland is conducting courses on introduction & advanced courses on electric vehicles. As Australia has no qualifications in this field at present ,a statement of attainment is issued at completion. We are currently working on an electric conversion at present as well as the Tesla

Reactions: dhrivnak
Service is something that Australians have little understanding of. You guys have laws that force companies to offer a level of service . Tesla Australia is really only interested in the S & X at present. Do you have any contacts perhaps you could forward me that could be of assistance on your side of the world. It is very frustrating for me . I just want to drive my car for the first time asap . Thanks Tony B

Part of the problem might be what you are asking for. If you want to do any of the work yourself, they won't cooperate. Working with the ESS is of course very dangerous so they don't support that, and you have already done it. You probably take adequate safety precautions but one accident in the news could have a significant effect on sales and/or share price .

Reactions: TEG
I am not doing this procedure in an uncontrolled environment . I am currently involved with a training college where we are building and converting cars to electric power . We have knowledge of the correct removal & replacement procedures . Thanks for providing me with a different angle on my challenge. The right to repair your own vehicle has been around since the inception of the motor car. At the end of the day what I am trying to achieve is not rocket science. I have successfully repaired a number of vehicles from Ferrari's to motor scooters including other hybrid & electric vehicles. If those manufacturers gladly sell replacement parts to me , I cant see what makes Tesla Motors different . Once again I do thank you for your reply . I hope that there are also others members like yourself who give me there opinion on my situation.

I am not doing this procedure in an uncontrolled environment . I am currently involved with a training college where we are building and converting cars to electric power . We have knowledge of the correct removal & replacement procedures . Thanks for providing me with a different angle on my challenge. The right to repair your own vehicle has been around since the inception of the motor car. At the end of the day what I am trying to achieve is not rocket science. I have successfully repaired a number of vehicles from Ferrari's to motor scooters including other hybrid & electric vehicles. If those manufacturers gladly sell replacement parts to me , I cant see what makes Tesla Motors different . Once again I do thank you for your reply . I hope that there are also others members like yourself who give me there opinion on my situation.
I wasn't doubting your ability. But it's hard for Tesla to know and trust your competence level when they have so much to potentially lose. I was just trying to suggest what might be one of the reasons for Tesla's reluctance to sell you parts.

I don't know the law in Australia but Stateside the right to repair laws are very weak except in a couple of states. The manufacturers don't have to sell you parts if they don't want to.