Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead Space In the Front Center Console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All,

I got my new S 70 yesterday. While settling into my new car, what hit me the most was the surprising lack of storage space when compared to my old Passat:
  • No front door storage.
  • No arm-rest storage. (What's in there any way?)
  • No seat-back pouch storage.
  • No rear door storage.
  • No rear cup holders.
  • No accessories tray/compartment on the dash space between the steering wheel column and the driver side door.
  • Dubious usability of arm-rest cup-holders if you want to rest your arms and hold a cup at the same time.
  • And last but not least, the topic of this discussion, the dead space behind the adjustable cup-holders.
If you don't know what I'm talking about--there is a cavernous space behind the two adjustable cupholders in the center console. The problem is in accessing that space. The spring-loaded retractable slide-door does not retract sufficiently to reveal the entire space. As it is, it is a sort of like a small attic space where you just stuff things in.

A little trip to the Container Store helped me to make that space a little more usable, so I thought I'd share. I purchased 3 "Like-it Bricks" branded stackable storage bins which, when stacked, fit snuggly into the space behind the cup-holders. Together, they form two stackable layers with the bottom layer being a large bin and the top layer being two smaller bins. The smaller bins slide on the top and can be easily removed to get access to stuff further in.
I hope this helps. I'm also curious about what others are doing in regards to interior storage.

It's not the best picture in the world because it's hard to reach to begin with. But you can see that the top bin is stacked and can be removed to reach whatever is underneath.

IMG_20160610_113828.jpg

Reactions: Fusion