Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deal or No Deal? 2017 75 RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I came across a 2017 Model S 75 with 72,XXX miles. White on black with panoramic sunroof, EAP and premium connectivity. Aside from some curb rash on the front wheels, the car looks clean. No issues when I pulled the Carfax report. I'm almost certain that it has MCU1, the dealership could not confirm if it has been updated or not. Asking price is $48K - but I was able to get it down to $46.5K. I'm in the Los Angeles area so prices are on the high end over here, and this seems to be a solid deal.

I realize that many would recommend a buyer go with a newer model or brand new for that price, but I'm mostly interested in a Model S and looking to spend new Model S prices.

Thoughts?

Reactions: 2101Guy
If you have access to the car, you can easily confirm if it has MCU1 versus MCU2.

Touch controls -> go to software screen. There should be an option Additional Vehicle Information. Touch that and it will bring up a screen that shows you additional details about the car, one of which should Infotainment Processor.

MCU1 will show NVidia Tegra.
MCU2 will show Intel Atom

Beyond that, not sure I have a lot to add. All used prices seem crazy to me at the moment, so not sure I can help you judge much else on whether this is a good deal..

In this market, and assuming its in very good condition/all is working? That sounds like a fair price. The premium connectevity is a nice bonus as Im pretty sure that will convey. And by far, most Tesla owners will tell you that EAP is the sweet spot. You get the very good highway AP, but you also get summon/smart summon and auto lane change on the highway. You are in cali, so cold weather affecting range on a 75 pack wont be an issue. And RWD is fine in your climate and with the lower (but still a good amount) torque demands of the 75. (100's of that era put down more power and really need the traction of all 4 wheels)

Sounds like an OK deal to me depending on spec - there are some 75s out there with cloth seats, basic sound, non-premium interior etc etc.

Will the dealer disclose where they got the car? If it came from Tesla, eg as a trade-in or lease return, there's a chance the EAP will disappear.

Did it come with any other features like Premium upgrades package?

Tires good?

That seems like a decent price in the current market. The car itself is great, I have a 2017 S75 RWD. No regrets.

Good luck with your decision.

I appreciate all the responses and feedback.

The MS was purchased from auction so the salesperson couldn't tell me much outside of what's on the carfax. I haven't seen the car in-person, but the pictures show clothe interior, and the salesperson did mention tires are good (not sure what his definition of good means). Other than EAP and premium connectivity, I don't know about any other packages that might be included.

@JimmyB Can you expand on how the MS can lose EAP? I've read that Tesla will sometimes reconfigure software of pre-owned cars before putting them back on the market. Is that a concern when purchasing from a dealership or PP?

Not sure if you pulled the trigger or not, but recently picked up a MS 2018 75D with similar features. Dealer bought it from auction. Once you get the account transferred under your account, your EAP & Premium Connectivity will go away. Going away in the sense of EAP drops to regular base AutPilot and you keep the Premium Connectivity for 30 days and then it drops to Standard Connectivity.

Not sure if you pulled the trigger or not, but recently picked up a MS 2018 75D with similar features. Dealer bought it from auction. Once you get the account transferred under your account, your EAP & Premium Connectivity will go away. Going away in the sense of EAP drops to regular base AutPilot and you keep the Premium Connectivity for 30 days and then it drops to Standard Connectivity.
interesting. i bought mine from vroom which bought at auction. and while i did lose FUSC, I did not lose premium connectivity.

I actually ended up buying a pre-owned M3 directly from Tesla mostly because of what you mention here, also because of shady practices from the local dealerships and online dealers buying up all the inventory in the area.

just to chime in here I bought a 2017 MS 75 from a dealer here in Scottsdale last June. It had EAP when I bought it and it was removed a few weeks later when I registered it with Tesla as mentioned above. I did get to keep the free Premium Connectivity though.

Tesla explained that the original owner had gotten EAP on some promotional deal and that it was non-transferable. Ticked me off good.