Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dealer Experience w Tire Puncture

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After noting persistent lost pressure in the rear driver side OEM tire, I visited the Tesla dealer for evaluation since tire dealers seemed loathe to repair foam lined tires (despite instructions on Continental website on how to accomplish easily enough). I had picked up a nail and, of course, it was outside the repairable tread area. I okay'd a tire replacement for $349.

Two weeks later I noticed I was losing air still. I revisited the Tesla dealership where the work was performed. "You've picked up another nail sir" I was told. Come on... another nail in the same tire two weeks later, also unrepairable?! But I saw the nail. I was frustrated at the prospect of a second tire purchase.

The service rep suggested I buy the next tire from a tire dealer where better warranty protection was included. I went to a tire dealer to get the ball rolling. When the guy went to look at the tires to conform for himself size, etc, he came back and said, "Well, you've got new tire tread on the passenger rear tire, but the one that's losing air with the nail is at the end of tread life anyway."

Wait a minute! New tire tread on the rear passenger?! The new tire was put on the rear driver where the first nail was picked up... Wait a minute... Then it hit me. The dealer had put the new tire on the wrong wheel and I still had the original nail in the driver rear tire which was never replaced. To be fair, both rear tires had 18,500 miles, destined for replacement, but still, putting the new tire on the wrong wheel? Not good form.

I called the Tesla service manager and told the story. He was very apologetic and appreciative I was just providing constructive follow up. After all I probably needed the second rear tire, so I just got it early. BUT he insisted on comping me the new passenger rear tire because their mistake was so careless.

Moral of the story: avoid nails. But seriously, practice kindness and remember we're all human and mistakes happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Discount Tire locations will patch holes if possible for free, fyi. Usually more convenient than the dealer. Some might be nervous to lift a tesla but you can just remove the wheel yourself and bring it, also.
I now own a set of pucks and will make certain anyone raising my car uses them. No serious damage because they used a floor lift and placed it predominantly on the lift point, but when I saw they had not used a puck (after I'd asked do you understand the nuances of lifting a Tesla... now I know better and will insist they use my new pucks) I was frustrated (dents and scratches in the lift point area). The main guy who I'd asked said, "We do a lot of Teslas and have had no complaints or problems." But he had no awareness of pucks or potential damage from not using them. I was just lucky.