TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Dealer Franchise laws prevent OTA updates?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by BillyBob99, Sep 24, 2016.

1. BillyBob99

BillyBob99 Member

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Many state franchise laws require that warranty work be done by franchised dealers. It's why GM can't open their own service centers if they wanted to. Warranty work is very lucrative for the dealers. Updates could be considered to be the same as warranty repairs.

3. Breezy

Breezy Member

In the comments, they claim they're working on a story with more detail about franchise agreements.

But Ford and GM, to name two examples I know, have been performing wireless updates for some time now.

If there is physical warranty work required, that needs to be done by dealers. But I find it hard to believe manufacturers would be forced to take an update that could be done wirelessly, and load it on a USB stick just to satisfy franchise agreements.

4. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

As a data point the other car in our house is a Kia Soul EV. It just received a firmware update via a PC app. They sent an email notification out. It did not update the drive train but did do all of the infotainment system and maps. I know from past experience that Volkswagen will also let you order a disc with firmware on it for some cars. I think the carriers are on the automakers not wanting to do it, not legal barriers.

5. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

I wouldn't be surprised if the dealers received some kind of compensation when this happens. Never underestimate the power of the auto dealers cartel.