Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dealer Franchise laws prevent OTA updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many state franchise laws require that warranty work be done by franchised dealers. It's why GM can't open their own service centers if they wanted to. Warranty work is very lucrative for the dealers. Updates could be considered to be the same as warranty repairs.

In the comments, they claim they're working on a story with more detail about franchise agreements.

But Ford and GM, to name two examples I know, have been performing wireless updates for some time now.

If there is physical warranty work required, that needs to be done by dealers. But I find it hard to believe manufacturers would be forced to take an update that could be done wirelessly, and load it on a USB stick just to satisfy franchise agreements.

As a data point the other car in our house is a Kia Soul EV. It just received a firmware update via a PC app. They sent an email notification out. It did not update the drive train but did do all of the infotainment system and maps. I know from past experience that Volkswagen will also let you order a disc with firmware on it for some cars. I think the carriers are on the automakers not wanting to do it, not legal barriers.