Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dealer markups drove me to buy a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because when you can hide part of the price an individual will pay for a big ticket item, it places an unfair advantage to the seller, that's why transparent pricing is a better way of purchasing a vehicle. Tesla pricing is transparent, you can freely choose which product Tesla or other best suites your individual Cost/Benefit analysis. Instead of the typical dealer practices which attempt to hide and convolute the true purchase price of vehicle.

I once traded in a BMW when buying a new one. I know they gave me a great price on the new one, but low-balled me on the trade-in. So, the day it came to close, instead of giving them my trade-in, I gave them the cash! Yep, they weren't happy about that. Then I sold my BMW, privately, for $2k more than what they offered me in trade.
I'm surprised they still honored that deal. Normally on the buyer's order the trade-in price would be listed and if you didn't trade in the car, a new buyer's order would be required (which then gives them another excuse to not honor a price).

• Informative
Reactions: WhiteWi
Actually I would argue people are forced. The car franchise system is mandated by law in many states (especially for manufacturers which already have existing franchises). You simply do not have a choice of buying a car at MSRP directly from the manufacturer in many cases (this is putting aside MSRP hides invoice price and kickbacks dealers may get, something in a direct sales approach may instead be transparently passed to the consumer).

There are also other pressure tactics dealers can apply, which includes blocking your car in (others have said they used to even lock the office door).

No one is forced to buy a car at a price they don't want to. No one is forced to haggle on a price if they don’t want to. And as far as some of the dealer tactics you mentioned, they are not the norm any more than Tesla taking orders for cars at prices they didn’t honor (which has happened) or Tesla sales advisors attempting to “abuse” the system on some Tesla incentives that have been offered in the past (which has happened), etc. Yes, things can happen in the process of buying a new car whether it be a Ford, BMW, Tesla or some other brand.

The sticker price of a new Tesla isn't necessarily any more transparent (and perhaps is less so as Tesla adjusts sticker prices, potentially rather significantly, throughout the year) than the sticker price of any other car. Prices paid for identical new Teslas over a period of time can be as much or more wide ranging than prices paid for identical new non-Tesla cars. I understand some people don't like to haggle/negotiate but that's not required for ANY car. A direct from manufacturer buying system won't make a difference, and may even be worse.

The only thing I’ e noticed about Tesla when going to buy the car is that annoying crap where they don’t default to the actual price; Tesla always shows you the price with incentives (tax breaks and such).

As far as I know there really aren't any tax breaks for buying a Tesla anymore….

The only thing I’ e noticed about Tesla when going to buy the car is that annoying crap where they don’t default to the actual price; Tesla always shows you the price with incentives (tax breaks and such).

As far as I know there really aren't any tax breaks for buying a Tesla anymore….

There are no longer tax breaks at the federal level but there are some at state/local levels.

Many others on here and elsewhere have also complained about how Tesla pricing defaults to figures with potential gas savings, state incentive, excludes the mandatory destination charge, etc.

By default, the current price of a RWD Model 3 (before options) is listed as $41,940 yet the actual retail price is $48,190.

Yes, but it’s soooo easy to just tap on the Purchase Price button. Perhaps the incentives don’t apply to me but rather than wasting time on a forum complaining about it I just tap Purchase Price. I wish it were that easy to get the same transparency when I’m at a dealership.

I'm surprised they still honored that deal. Normally on the buyer's order the trade-in price would be listed and if you didn't trade in the car, a new buyer's order would be required (which then gives them another excuse to not honor a price).
Interestingly, the contract said, "trade-in or deposit" or something like that. So, I got the price I wanted on the new BMW, they got the price they wanted on the trade-in BMW, then they didn't get the trade-in. Seemed like a win-win-lose to me. But that worked for me!

I placed an order for an M3P in February that was supposed to be ready in March. Now the earliest is May. EVERY SINGLE TIME WE GET WITHIN 3 days of EDD, they push it back. They made me waste my time evaluating my trade-in just to tell me, too bad, we need to do that again and re-evaluate later. This is the single most frustrating car buying experience I’ve ever had, and at this point, I will never recommend that someone else go through this for a car.

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi
I placed an order for an M3P in February that was supposed to be ready in March. Now the earliest is May. EVERY SINGLE TIME WE GET WITHIN 3 days of EDD, they push it back. They made me waste my time evaluating my trade-in just to tell me, too bad, we need to do that again and re-evaluate later. This is the single most frustrating car buying experience I’ve ever had, and at this point, I will never recommend that someone else go through this for a car.
I know you want your car. I don’t think you will get hurt to badly on the trade, it is still a mess out there.

Well, the pandemic, supply-chain issues, worker shortage, truck driver shortage, a war in Europe, extraordinary times. Car buying is affected throughout the whole sector, this is not Tesla-specific.

I ordered my Model 3 last October, put several holds on the order, first for potential EV credit, and then Model 3 upgrades, Tesla was very flexible and the price was locked in. So I definitely recommend ordering a Tesla, just keep in mind you will need to be patient and in the position to keep your current car until you take delivery.

Well, the pandemic, supply-chain issues, worker shortage, truck driver shortage, a war in Europe, extraordinary times. Car buying is affected throughout the whole sector, this is not Tesla-specific.

I ordered my Model 3 last October, put several holds on the order, first for potential EV credit, and then Model 3 upgrades, Tesla was very flexible and the price was locked in. So I definitely recommend ordering a Tesla, just keep in mind you will need to be patient and in the position to keep your current car until you take delivery.
It hasn't been this tough to get a new car since 1945.

@zarrack007 I love how you complained to corporate. I'm sure that was listened to. Fact is, it's a tough time to buy anything right now and cars, for the first time I can remember are in the same ball park.

I have a M3 and a 2013 Buick Enclave with 109,000 miles. I know EXACTLY what Is going to happen if I have to replace that Enclave. I am going to be paying at or over MSRP. That's the way right now and we all know why.