TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Dealer pass through?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Johnnyo71, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Johnnyo71

Johnnyo71 Member

Has anybody that purchased their TESLA traded in their previous car for credit toward purchase in order to save the sales tax on the trade in value? If so, can you explain? Thanks

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

May be different, but I plan on doing exactly that in Canada. My car is to be delivered in a few weeks, and I e-mailed Tesla about my trade. I provided a bunch of details on the car, and they gave me a ballpark price. Closer to delivery, I'll take my car in for an assessment, arrange financing and so forth. The trade-in value will come off the before tax value of the transaction.

3. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Well, I traded in my car for a credit towards purchase, but in California we don't get to adjust our sales tax. Pretty much what mknox said. I went through a web questionnaire about the car, and they gave me a price. When I said I was interested, they (AutoNation) arranged for somebody to come by the house and inspect the car. At the end of the inspection I signed the papers and gave them the title. My MVPA had the trade in price as a credit.

4. Johnnyo71

Johnnyo71 Member

Thanks very much. I was told they are not equipped for handling trade in's.

5. spleen

spleen Active Member

Depends on the state. For instance, they are not doing trade ins in Hawaii.

6. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

What states allow this? New York doesn't.