Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dealer scratched my car twice. What should I do next

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone

New guys here seeking for suggestions and help. My wife and I got a model three early Feb this year. Dealer scratched the rear bumper upon delivery. They gave us a loaner and repaint the rear bumper. It cost them around 5 days.

Then we picked up our car and found out a lot of paint defects. There are fish eyes, dust embedded in paints and what;s more is the rear trunk lid was not being cover by the color coat completely. We made another appointment at Feb, 23,2019. We point out all the issues and let them fix this. After that tesla called us every friday claim the problems are fixed. Upon visit we saw only partial of them are being done. Just recently, they made the final call and told us the last section ( rear trunk lid with no color coat issue) has being fixed. But they scratched my car again. This time is curb side rear quarter panel and the bumper. They said they will let us know when it gets fixed.

I am really disappoint on the dealer at this point. I understand tesla is new in automaker industry. I believe Toyota has the same problem when at their start up time too. We are trying to give tesla as many chances as we can tolerate. Now my car is still in their body shop. I am eligible for a replacement?

Thanks for reading and appreciate your reply

As painful as it sounds I’d stay on them to fix the paint issues. Document everything and if it keeps happening i’d say that’s a borderline case for lemon law to kick in. Have you tried a different service center or to escalate the issue in your account or app?

Reactions: FlyinDelorean
As painful as it sounds I’d stay on them to fix the paint issues. Document everything and if it keeps happening i’d say that’s a borderline case for lemon law to kick in. Have you tried a different service center or to escalate the issue in your account or app?

I haven't got a chance to get my car yet.I will definitely try another service center. I see the paint job is not something can be considered as critical to file lemon law. But it tooks them too long to fix my problems. I am wondering whatelse I can have my car fix properly.

Try to get a hold of someone in Freemont if the service center gives you trouble. Explain and document the defects. They should fix them. Talk to the manager of the service center. Keep the car there until everything is fixed. Also ask service center to escalate the issue directly with the mothership. Edit: Also, take lots of photos.

Try to get a hold of someone in Freemont if the service center gives you trouble. Explain and document the defects. They should fix them. Talk to the manager of the service center. Keep the car there until everything is fixed. Also ask service center to escalate the issue directly with the mothership. Edit: Also, take lots of photos.
I am inch there to file a lemon. I have an attorney who loves to take my case already. Since it is my first time see this dramatic issue, I just don't know file a lemon case against these issues is right or not.

I am inch there to file a lemon. I have an attorney who loves to take my case already. Since it is my first time see this dramatic issue, I just don't know file a lemon case against these issues is right or not.
The Lemon Law differs in each state. It may require that the vehicle is unavailable for a certain amount of time. Keep it under repair and don't accept it back until all repairs are done. Tell them you are considering invoking the law if they are not going to cooperate. Just my two cents. But it sounds like you got a car with a defective paint job, if you ask me. For the Lemon Law thing, you'll probably want to consult a attorney. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Reactions: super20g
The Lemon Law differs in each state. It may require that the vehicle is unavailable for a certain amount of time. Keep it under repair and don't accept it back until all repairs are done. Tell them you are considering invoking the law if they are not going to cooperate. Just my two cents. But it sounds like you got a car with a defective paint job, if you ask me. For the Lemon Law thing, you'll probably want to consult a attorney. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Do NOT tell them you are considering invoking lemon law to try to gain leverage. This will likely result in them clamming up, stop working on the car and turn the situation over to their arbitration team or legal.

• Informative
Reactions: super20g
Thank you guys for the suggestion. Just let you know. I went there pick up the car yesterday as the front desk told me my car is ready. Went over there at 11am. The adviser told me car is not ready. Keep your loaner. We will in touch with you once your car is available. LOL. I payed 50k for a model 3 and got a 80k model S for a month already......

I have the attorney already. I will keep posting the progress for others as reference till the agreement allows.

Hi Everyone

New guys here seeking for suggestions and help. My wife and I got a model three early Feb this year. Dealer scratched the rear bumper upon delivery. They gave us a loaner and repaint the rear bumper. It cost them around 5 days.

Then we picked up our car and found out a lot of paint defects. There are fish eyes, dust embedded in paints and what;s more is the rear trunk lid was not being cover by the color coat completely. We made another appointment at Feb, 23,2019. We point out all the issues and let them fix this. After that tesla called us every friday claim the problems are fixed. Upon visit we saw only partial of them are being done. Just recently, they made the final call and told us the last section ( rear trunk lid with no color coat issue) has being fixed. But they scratched my car again. This time is curb side rear quarter panel and the bumper. They said they will let us know when it gets fixed.

I am really disappoint on the dealer at this point. I understand tesla is new in automaker industry. I believe Toyota has the same problem when at their start up time too. We are trying to give tesla as many chances as we can tolerate. Now my car is still in their body shop. I am eligible for a replacement?

Thanks for reading and appreciate your reply
I believe if Tesla hold on to your car for more than 30 days, u can use the Lemon law in California.

I believe if Tesla hold on to your car for more than 30 days, u can use the Lemon law in California.
Not really. My attorney reviewed everything and told me it is almost impossible to use lemon law. He said lemon law is for breach of warranty. Mine is cosmetic problems. He will represent me to ask for remedy though.

My attorney told me for fulfilling lemon law, you have to meet one of the following three.

1. Mechanical problems which can potentially cause injury or death. two attempts
2. Mechanical general problems. 4 attempts
3. Mechanical problems puts car out of service for 30days.

• Informative
Reactions: ggnykk and T-Will