Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dealers Selling Used Teslas In The DFW Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,
There are several dealers in the DFW area that predominantly sell previously owned Teslas. Has anybody on this board bought from any of these dealers? How was the purchase process? Thank you for any and all responds.

While we were looking for our Model S, we found Used Tesla Showroom Carrollton TX | Auto Centrix The UN-Dealership in the Dallas area. Their prices were higher than Tesla’s used “CPO’d” vehicles, including Tesla shipping fee. We opted not to use them. That said, having worked VERY hard to hold Tesla accountable to their own published standards, there might be value in headache/worry/stress to that cost off set by being able to see their inventory and fully understand the vehicle you are purchasing. Unlike Tesla “CPO” you will can see photos of the car, etc.

While we were looking for our Model S, we found Used Tesla Showroom Carrollton TX | Auto Centrix The UN-Dealership in the Dallas area. Their prices were higher than Tesla’s used “CPO’d” vehicles, including Tesla shipping fee. We opted not to use them. That said, having worked VERY hard to hold Tesla accountable to their own published standards, there might be value in headache/worry/stress to that cost off set by being able to see their inventory and fully understand the vehicle you are purchasing. Unlike Tesla “CPO” you will can see photos of the car, etc.
Noahweb,
Thank you for your reply. I have not talked to Auto Centrix, but them seemed to have a large inventory of used Tesl. I went to IDrive1 in Carrollton and the rep seemed knowledgeable about the Tesla product.

Has anyone had any dealings with Otto Source?

www.ottosource.com

They seem to deal with a lot of these, and if the reviews are to be believed, seem to be honest and knowledgable. Not sure but it seems like the prices are a touch high, but it does seem also like they provide service after the sale and are looking for long-term customers. They are with my work Perks program so I think my price might be a touch lower. I'd like to hear from anyone with experience, good, bad or indifferent.

Also that Autocentrix, they do seem knowledgeable and deal with quite a lot of Teslas, but again even higher on the prices for no good reason that I can tell. I will say that the sales guy that's reached out has been good about answering questions in a timely fashion.

edit: wow i sure used the word "seem" a lot. or so it appears. 🤣

I saw a new refreshed model S at Used 2021 Tesla Model S Long Range in Richardson, TX

Went by and checked it out. They let me look at it and even offered to drive it. I didn’t think I would be interested in buying so I turned down the offer but they do have quite a bit of knowledge of Tesla’s. They mentioned they do get confused with Otto source but they mainly carry newer models.

The owner was there and was pretty transparent with pricing saying how he acquired the car more than retail and he had only a little bit of Margin. He was just excited to be able to have one.

Reactions: Pacernow
I went and checked this one out at Autocentrix. Used 2015 Tesla Model S 85D in Carrollton TX and was pretty turned off by the experience there.

By no means do I expect a used car to be perfect, and a few chips and dings are to be expected, but the whole hood of this thing looked scoured like it spent its life driving behind gravel trucks or through sand storms. There was a key scratch down the side. The inside smelled of vomit.

They were of course more than happy to direct me to some other models which were more expensive, and which I did test drive since I took the hour to drive down there. They would not answer direct questions or really enter into any productive dialogue, instead preferring to redirect the conversation to how great their dealership is blah blah blah. Probably the most-irritating thing is they seemed to want to use the excuse of "we've accounted for that in the price" as a cover-all for any and all legitimate concerns I might have. I am sorry, but if there is paint damage and a key scratch etc, you need to point that out in the ad. THEN, fair enough, these things are known and yes the price accounts for that. But using that excuse ad hoc to wave away anything I find that needs explaining is disingenuous.

They used just about every "salesy" mind trick in the book to get me to commit to something, all while bleating about how low-pressure their wonderful dealership is. I just thanked him for his time. He knows now what I am looking for and what sort of flaws I am prepared to accept as "part of the price", and maybe something else will come up.

These guys have reasonable reviews, so its possible I just caught them (or me) on a bad day. But I started the day excited about this beautiful blue S85D and came away with a bad taste in my mouth. BTW that car has come down about $3000 since I started watching it. It came down $900 by the time I got home that day - but he damn sure wasn't going to budge on it for me.

Rant over, hopefully it was at least informative. I really, really hate to give this sort of report. If the situation changes, I'll glady retract it and write an equally glowing one :)

Auto Centrix mainly get Tesla Lease Returns that are sent to Auction by Tesla. I got mine from them and I think all in all it was mostly a fair deal (I'm sure I overpaid some). I was really green to Tesla at the time and there were a few issues that showed up shortly after the purchase but I worked through them all. The one I was hunting for was there and it was in good shape based on what I could see. I did also buy their 3rd party extended warranty as part of the deal (pain to use with Tesla but has saved me on a few repairs already).

What I did like was the ability to at least kick the tires and test drive before I started the transaction. They are just a used car dealer though so if you have any issues right after your purchase they will politely point you to the service center (and use the extended 3rd party warranty if you purchased it).

If I had to do it again - I would probably haggle a little more on the price and look over the car a little more carefully - but I would do business with them again.

• Informative
Reactions: ayavner
Thanks for that, always good to have a balance. I did not get the sense when I was there that they would enter into any discussion whatsoever on the price, or that the 3rd party warranty was optional. Even though I may have bought it, it rubs me the wrong way when they just tack something on without asking.

I'll keep it in mind for the future, though i have a lead on a nice private party one nearby - stay tuned!

You get more information from AutoCheck than CarFax. AutoCheck is a paid service, but it is more thorough. I have no association with AutoCheck. Just a satisfied user. PM me your email and I will send you a report on a Tesla that I have downloaded.
I agree, AutoCheck is much more thorough in all respects. 20 years in the automotive space, I had countless times when AutoCheck discovered negative history that CarFax totally missed. Cheers.