Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dealing With Insurance After a Crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was rear-ended on the freeway back in early November and the defendant accepted full liability for the accident. An insurance adjuster from Geico came out to assess the damage and wrote a check for around $800 to have the bumper repaired and a section of the underbody cover replaced.

Last week, Tesla came back with a quote just over $1300 to replace the parts. I reached out to the insurance adjuster for information on how they'd be handling Tesla's assessment, and was informed I'd need to have a service advisor submit a supplemental for the increased cost to explain why they won't repair it.

This is where the fun begins. There was no service advisor attached to my appointment, and there is no way to speak with anyone at the service center as everything must be done through their useless app. Good job, Tesla.

This morning I went in to drop off the car and brought up the issue of the supplemental required by Geico for the payout, and they told me that this location "doesn't deal with insurance because it gets messy" and that she can't legally share any documents with a 3rd party as they contain personal information. The manager was conveniently in a meeting and not available.

I confirmed the quote from Geico was based on the assumption that the bumper would be repaired rather than replaced and they stated that they're not equipped to handle repairs and would be replacing the entire rear bumper instead.

I notified Geico of their position, and the adjuster told me to take it to an in-network bodyshop to address the issue as they're not going to payout given their belief that it's repairable or wait until late February/Early March to schedule an appointment at a Tesla operated facility they know works with insurance.

I've left a message with my insurance agent to see what options I have, but was curious what you all thought.

Can you clarify that you are dealing with YOUR insurance agent and that it is Geico? Or are you dealing with the company of the person whom caused the accident?
Likely too late for this recommendation, but in the future, never accept a check from the insurance company immediately. Some companies want you to accept payment and sign off BEFORE you have an opportunity to get a final number on repair and/or before you might see a doctor about possible personal injury.

You are in California right? I had quite a few repairs in the past and never was I told I had to use "in network" repair shop! Pretty much every time I was told you can use any repair shop you choose. I think it's a CA law.

Correct. CA law allows you to go to any licensed repair shop regardless of what an insurer may say.

I had the same question as above: is GEICO your insurer or the other guy's? If the latter, just give it over to your insurer and let them handle it with GEICO. There is absolutely no reason for you to be speaking to the other guy's insurer. CA is an at-fault state so giving it over to your insurer will not raise your rates.

Correct, I am in Lake Forest, CA. I can take it to any shop I want, they're now just recommending that I go to an in-network location that they know works with them since this service center doesn't or won't cooperate.

I am dealing with the defendant's insurance company which is Geico. My agent is with State Farm. I did not sign anything when I received the check from Geico. The adjuster did the inspection and printed off the check.

Did the Geico adjuster look this this?
the-geico-caveman-6.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Need
If you're not at fault then let State Farm do all the chasing and stressing. The longer Geico delayed, the larger their payout needs to be as you'll get a loaner vehicle while your car is in the shop.

I had a hit and run on my driver door and the repair came out to ~4k CAD. I'm lucky my friends got the offender's plate and vehicle description and colour. Parts were ordered and they arrived at different times. The car rental alone was 5K+ CAD.

Once you get your insurance involve. Geico will play nice since it's them that's on the hook. Not you. Don't accept anything or deal with them.

I am dealing with the defendant's insurance company which is Geico. My agent is with State Farm. I did not sign anything when I received the check from Geico. The adjuster did the inspection and printed off the check.

You are wasting your time. Let State Farm handle it, and get a rental approved. That is why you pay State Farm the big bucks. GEICO just wants you to go away as cheaply as possible.

Reactions: tvad and Mike Ess
I called my insurance agent right after the crash, and she told me to go through Geico since the defendant had already accepted full liability for the collision. Geico has already agreed to pay for a rental while the car is in repair, but the car does need to be in shop.

I will let my insurance agent take over at this point.