Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dealing with roadside for a loaner wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hit a nail in my Model Y w/ 20" induction wheels. I was able to pull over safely into a shopping center before the tire completely deflated. The nail was smack dab in the center of the repairable area. The shitty thing was that I was about 300ft from a discount tire but this happened about 10mim before they closed so I wasn't gonna make it there without risk of damaging the wheels.

I used roadside on the app and they offered either a tow or a loaner wheel. I figured instead of having to tow and dealing with a Uber back and forth I figured the loaner would just be more convenient. What I didn't know was that by accepting the loaner that I had to give my original wheel to Tesla so they can fix/replace it. I figured it wouldn't be a big deal and that I'd just have to pay Tesla to patch it and mount it. This morning I woke up to them providing a invoice for a brand new tire (same ones) and rescheduling my service appointment to the 22nd. I asked via app if they can fix it but saying it's best to replace.

I feel like they are trying to sell me a new tire without bothering to try to patch it. I recently got my tires rotated and they were at 5/32 so I was planning to eventually replace all 4 tires to something other then the Goodyear F1 tires my car came with. I wish I had the ability to just take my wheel back and take it to another reputable tire shop.

Anyone had to deal with the loaner wheel and putting up with what Tesla offered you?

Your experience with a loaner wheel is different from my past understanding. When you accept the loaner wheel you supposedly to had 3 days to return the loaner (presumably you will have repaired or replaced your damaged wheel and tire in that time.) If you didn't return the loaner wheel within 3 days then Tesla would charge your CC and you bought the loaner wheel and tire.

From Tesla Service's standpoint they would rather not have to deal with repairing tires since this work is less profitable. The fastest and most efficient repair is to replace the tire assuming the replacement tire is in stock. Not having to train the technicians on tire repair, only need to be trained on mounting tires on a rim, installing TPMS sensors simplifies training.

A 12V air compressor would have enabled you to put some air into the punctured tire and drive to an open tire center that could have determined if a repair was possible.

That what I thought too but apparently they updated it with them HAVING to take the wheel with them when loaner gets put on
Screenshot_20220212-104232.png

I carry a compressor and a plug kit for just this reason. Learn how to plug a tire (really easy) and then you are up and running. You can visit a tire shop later when it's convenient to have the plugged tire patched.
One issue is that today, for liability reasons, many tire shops flat out refuse to repair a tire that the owner has previously attempted to plug, etc.

To update,

I just showed up to the service center and they let me take the wheel to get it patched at discount tire which is free for me. They said it would had been $90 with Tesla and probably wouldn't be able to take care of it til sometime next week.

If you put a hole in the center of the tire where the sound dampening foam is- no one will patch it. I got a flat in northern vermont, [no roadside service] limped my way to a dollar store and gas station. I parked next to the air compressor at the gas station, bought a tire plug kit at the dollar store, plugged the now completely flat tire, pumped it up and drove off.... the hole was in the center of the tire so when the winter tires went on I had the tire unmounted and I removed a tiny section of foam and patched it myself. The plug had worked fine for 6 months! The patch should be good for the life of the tire. For some reason it seems that no commercial entities will remove the foam to patch the tire.

My experience in Los Angeles was fantastic. Easiest flat to deal with ever

To the OP…I had about the same situation.
Leaving out non essential details…and there were many back and forths with Tesla over the mobile app…

My cost to fix and remount was $30 at my local Bridgestone. Tesla wanted to charge $122 for same service….or $420 if they weren’t able repair it and needed to replace. This was for a Michelin Primacy…normal price of $306.
I had to sign the same three day contract for a Tesla loaner wheel but they told me they weren’t strict on the 3 day window and not to worry about that. I had it back in six days.

To others…when you can, have mobile come out and give you a loaner wheel but keep the wheel and have it repaired yourself. Tesla repair is overpriced. I agree…they don’t want in the tire repair business!

Reactions: RNHurt