Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dear Elon: How about a capital raise to pay down the DOE loan?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4. elon borrows against the company stock to buy shares at 3x the price where he could have bought them just 6-8 months ago. what's the total value of his line of credit at goldman now? do you guys remember stocks like chk, gmcr, etc. where the owners levered themselves to the company's share price on margin? the downside volatility was exaggerated. in elon's case goldman knows he's not liquid, so once the shares get down far enough they have some incentive to try to shoot against him. and margin calls are based on the company's stock price, not its fundamentals. green mountain coffee is a perfect recent example. elon is already levered to tesla downside because he's committed to buy the model s's if tesla can't perform on its guarantee.

Here's how I look at Elon Musk purchasing more shares now at 3x price compared to 6-8 months ago. Back then, if Elon could have borrowed more money then he would have and he would have purchased more TSLA stock. However at that time, SolarCity and SpaceX were private and his TSLA holdings weren't worth a ton (compared to now). He already had a sizable loan/line with Goldman Sachs and they weren't going to extend it much further for him to buy a ton of shares.

Fast forward to now, SCTY has IPO'd and his TSLA holdings are worth a lot more, so now Goldman (and others) are able to lend him more money. In Elon's view, Telsa is a steal to get under $100/share (when looking at the long-term perspective), thus he borrows as much as he can and buys as much common stock as he can. Smart move.

Also, I think you're assuming his loan to buy more TSLA shares is completely leveraged from his current TSLA shares. But he's also got SCTY holdings and private SpaceX holdings which are worth a lot more than a year ago. This is just to say even if TSLA goes lower, I don't think he'll be subject to a margin call. He's just got too many assets right now. It's in the best interest of the banks to just keep lending him money and work with him than to work against him.

Overall, I think there's no foolishness in him buying $100m more shares at today's stock price (compared to 6-8 months ago). Just wisdom.

Off topic, but man the NYT is acting petulant towards Tesla in the post-Broder era.

That's why I'm hoping the last announcement/demonstration turns out to be a frunk battery that can charge up the main pack and extend range. I'd love for him to say something like "ever since the NYT incident, Tesla has been hard at work to make sure that can not happen again. We don't want to see idiots having to tow their Teslas because they ran them out of power. (Yeah, I hope he uses the word idiots):grin:

Here's how I look at Elon Musk purchasing more shares now at 3x price compared to 6-8 months ago. Back then, if Elon could have borrowed more money then he would have and he would have purchased more TSLA stock. However at that time, SolarCity and SpaceX were private and his TSLA holdings weren't worth a ton (compared to now). He already had a sizable loan/line with Goldman Sachs and they weren't going to extend it much further for him to buy a ton of shares.

Fast forward to now, SCTY has IPO'd and his TSLA holdings are worth a lot more, so now Goldman (and others) are able to lend him more money. In Elon's view, Telsa is a steal to get under $100/share (when looking at the long-term perspective), thus he borrows as much as he can and buys as much common stock as he can. Smart move.

Also, I think you're assuming his loan to buy more TSLA shares is completely leveraged from his current TSLA shares. But he's also got SCTY holdings and private SpaceX holdings which are worth a lot more than a year ago. This is just to say even if TSLA goes lower, I don't think he'll be subject to a margin call. He's just got too many assets right now. It's in the best interest of the banks to just keep lending him money and work with him than to work against him.

Overall, I think there's no foolishness in him buying $100m more shares at today's stock price (compared to 6-8 months ago). Just wisdom.

I disagree. SpaceX, SCTY, and TSLA are ALL still very much risky startups. SCTY is involved in a government investigation where the feds are checking to see if SCTY has been inflating their installation costs to receive higher subsidies. And SCTY has sued the feds alleging they haven't been paid enough subsidies. Subsidies are at the heart of SCTY's revenue stream and this could end very badly indeed for SCTY. SpaceX is a couple of explosions away from disaster. Remember that their first three rockets blew up or aborted. Their dragon capsule came within a hair's width of being abandoned when the final stage engines didn't startup. Turned out four of the five engines had one part made slightly differently than the one that worked. Tell me for sure that isn't going to happen again. And geez, Tesla's Model S cars have only been on the road in large numbers for the last 4 months. Tell me what happens when they get hit by a class action lawsuits alleging whatever, or their battery pack starts degrading a lot more quickly than anticipated (remember the Model S battery is different than the Roadster battery).

PROBABLY none of these things will happen. But the same logic that makes it a good idea for Tesla to bank $800M when times are good, also makes it a bad idea for Elon to do the exact opposite with his personal finances. At this point Goldman is sitting pretty - they'll make money if his investments do well, and effectively own large chunks of SCTY, TSLA and SpaceX if things go south.

Having said all this, it is very possible that Elon doesn't give a crap about this at all. Preserving $1B for his heirs is probably something he cares very little about. Making an extra $5B so that he can personally fund the first mars colony IS something he cares about. So, consistent with his past actions, he's going all in, cranking up the personal leverage and heading for mars...

- - - Updated - - -

A friend of mine who is a lot more knowledgeable than me breaks down the announcement like this:

"1. Tesla is issuing convertible debt which can be converted into common stock at a TBD price.

2. To prevent that dilution upon conversion of the debt, Tesla is entering into a hedge transaction (utilizing options and warrants most likely done by Goldman). These will be what is called European style settlement meaning they are not using listed options but structures specifically designed for the company and lasting until the obligation on the convertible is eliminated. Effectively, this will give the company the ability to pull shares from the open market at a specified price and turn around and give those shares to the convertible holders as they exercise (preventing the issuing of new shares and diluting).

3. To prevent the counterparty (Goldman) from having a capital exposure being the other side of Tesla’s hedge, counterparty (Goldman) will create a series of transactions to prevent their capital from being exposed – So they will most likely buy the shares they could be obligated to deliver and then collar it (buy puts and sell calls) so that their capital is secured within a certain margin.

The only specific item Lub2b mentions that I don’t fully agree with is the idea that a hedge fund would do a reverse arbitrage with the convertible debt. Because the beta of convertible debt is too low when calculated with the common, that strategy would only work in the event of something strategic associated with the company. The hedge fund would be very much exposed to stock price movements associated with market forces that are not specific to Tesla. "

The only specific item Lub2b mentions that I don’t fully agree with is the idea that a hedge fund would do a reverse arbitrage with the convertible debt. Because the beta of convertible debt is too low when calculated with the common, that strategy would only work in the event of something strategic associated with the company. The hedge fund would be very much exposed to stock price movements associated with market forces that are not specific to Tesla. "

we don't know the terms yet, but in my statement i was thinking the convertible debt is actually issued at a near the money strike. the "synthetic convertible" they are creating is effectively at a higher strike as you discussed, due to the call options and warrants.

also today i am noticing the cost to borrow shares is down to 25%, reducing the potential of this trade.

we don't know the terms yet, but in my statement i was thinking the convertible debt is actually issued at a near the money strike. the "synthetic convertible" they are creating is effectively at a higher strike as you discussed, due to the call options and warrants.

also today i am noticing the cost to borrow shares is down to 25%, reducing the potential of this trade.

By "near the money strike" did you mean near in the money value at time of issue? ie. if share price is $90, the conversion price would be, like $100? I don't think this will be the case, more like $150 conversion price...

By "near the money strike" did you mean near in the money value at time of issue? ie. if share price is $90, the conversion price would be, like $100? I don't think this will be the case, more like $150 conversion price...

wow i really thought they would have to closer to the money to get this done. but yeah the news is circulating it's gonna be a 30-35% premium which would be around $120-125 price range.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't removing the DOE loan allow Tesla to build cars out of the country? Could they begin making European cars in Tilburg? Imagine how much that would improve production. South Korea and China would look awful tempting as well

Off topic, but man the NYT is acting petulant towards Tesla in the post-Broder era.
I think the world has learned that even if you still trust the NYT, only an idiot would trust them to be objective regarding Tesla. In fact, so much so that I think the Top Gear "entertainment" legal argument applies to anything they say about Tesla going forward.

A very sad reality about the NYT indeed.

I completely agree. Suffering a bit of a loss of innocence today.

I think the world has learned that even if you still trust the NYT, only an idiot would trust them to be objective regarding Tesla. In fact, so much so that I think the Top Gear "entertainment" legal argument applies to anything they say about Tesla going forward.

A very sad reality about the NYT indeed.

i complained about tesla using debt to raise capital, but man, i can't help but be impressed by what they've pulled off here.

$1 billion in capital raised, after paying the doe loan probably leaves them with $750 million in cash in the bank. that would cover more than 2 years of cash burn at their current expense level. considering they will sell out this year, elon has just guaranteed their survival through at least 2015 in the most dire economic circumstances. and assuming even moderately bad economic circumstances tesla will have enough capital to proceed with model x and gen 3 development.

also seeing the demand for the debt at such low yields, i am reversing course. great job elon, i completely underestimated the lunacy of the fixed income markets today.

the people buying these bonds are just morons imo, as 1.5% in no way adequately reflects the true credit risk for tesla. i had no idea they could get this paper sold for such low yields, and especially with the conversion price so far above today's close. although i don't like the balance sheet risk from the debt, from tesla's point of view the trade is so juicy with yields so low and conversion factors so high... how could elon not do this?

it still feels a bit backwards to me for the company to sell so many shares at $28 and then so few at $92. and it feels ridiculous that elon bought $1m at $28 and is buying $100m at $92. those things feel quite wrong from a trader's point of view.

anyway great job elon. you've got the capital you need to pursue the programs you want and the world now knows that tesla is a name we will still be discussing 3 years from now. as a side jab to the john petersons of the world, they can't say that about exide and axion power, can they! :biggrin:

the future awaits!

the people buying these bonds are just morons imo, as 1.5% in no way adequately reflects the true credit risk for tesla. i had no idea they could get this paper sold for such low yields, and especially with the conversion price so far above today's close.

Working from a rough estimate of what the embedded option is worth (~55-65 million on $600 million principal or 9-11%) the convert buyers are effectively taking on the senior debt credit risk at 3.5-4% YTM or a 270-320bp spread to 5-yr treasury.

i complained about tesla using debt to raise capital, but man, i can't help but be impressed by what they've pulled off here.

$1 billion in capital raised, after paying the doe loan probably leaves them with $750 million in cash in the bank. that would cover more than 2 years of cash burn at their current expense level. considering they will sell out this year, elon has just guaranteed their survival through at least 2015 in the most dire economic circumstances. and assuming even moderately bad economic circumstances tesla will have enough capital to proceed with model x and gen 3 development.

also seeing the demand for the debt at such low yields, i am reversing course. great job elon, i completely underestimated the lunacy of the fixed income markets today.

the people buying these bonds are just morons imo, as 1.5% in no way adequately reflects the true credit risk for tesla. i had no idea they could get this paper sold for such low yields, and especially with the conversion price so far above today's close. although i don't like the balance sheet risk from the debt, from tesla's point of view the trade is so juicy with yields so low and conversion factors so high... how could elon not do this?

it still feels a bit backwards to me for the company to sell so many shares at $28 and then so few at $92. and it feels ridiculous that elon bought $1m at $28 and is buying $100m at $92. those things feel quite wrong from a trader's point of view.

anyway great job elon. you've got the capital you need to pursue the programs you want and the world now knows that tesla is a name we will still be discussing 3 years from now. as a side jab to the john petersons of the world, they can't say that about exide and axion power, can they! :biggrin:

the future awaits!

Elon didn't have much in the way of cash flow when they made the offering at $28 and once the stock hit $92, his letter of credit with Goldman grew exponentially Elon prevented himself from being diluted further since he wants to CONTROL the company for quite a while longer.