Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dear Elon: just remove navigation from your cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rarely if ever use the built in navigation system. Used it today and did not displease. Utter garbage, period.. Maybe acceptable 10 years ago.

Well I'm kind of in that camp although I do think that the Tesla nav system has some value, but then again my car is from 10 years ago I have a 2012 Model S. But that notwithstanding what I would like is the ability "like I used to have" before my car got downgraded by version 9 software the ability to turn the nav off and not have it running constantly on my screen when I'm not using it. Giving me back the screen real estate to run what apps and other windows I would prefer to have on the screen.

• Love
Reactions: GreenT and kavyboy
I suspect many people who have used Android Auto and/or CarPlay a lot on other cars wouldn't mind if Tesla spent less effort on their in-car nav and diverted some resources to get Android Auto and CarPlay working on Teslas.

I use CarPlay all the time in my Bolt and have used it w/great results on it and two rental cars: an '18 Hyundai Elantra and '19 Nissan Altima. I had the Altima for awhile and put maybe 400 miles on it while traveling in Arizona... Tesla is increasingly the odd man out while most other major automakers support one or both in many of their vehicles at this point, even cheap ones.

I appreciate the integration of the Tesla Navigation software on the Model Y with the iPhone. I can look up an entry in the iPhone Contacts or use Apple Maps, Google Maps or Waze to enter a destination. Once I select the destination I select Send and the destination is sent to the Tesla. The destination appears automatically on the Tesla Navigation screen the next time I drive the Tesla.

Tesla nav is good with predictable traffic. I live in Atlanta, like OP, and Tesla's nav can be way too optimistic about taking the highway vs. surface streets. My previous car had Android Auto which worked really well with Google Maps. Other people like Waze, although I did not like how chatty it was.

It would not be difficult for Tesla to implement CP/AA, but I expect this does not fit into Tesla's goal of selling FSD and future features that require space on the screen.

Reactions: Reeler
I don't get it. Tesla nav is pretty good IMHO. Have you seen Nav from Lexus or MB? Those are garbages.

I think it’s pretty good too. I prefer it over the tiny CarPlay map (Google) in my wife’s Car.

It’s Google maps, with Google routing and Google traffic. Not sure if speed limits come from Google as well.

I wish it had Google alternate routes and the new crowd sourced warnings though. Hopefully that will come some day.

If we run into an accident or traffic I’ll often ask my wife to investigate alternate routes with Google maps on her iPhone. The default route is usually identical to the car. Once we switch to the alternate route it matches again, including ETA and where traffic is.

Last edited:
Tesla nav is good with predictable traffic. I live in Atlanta, like OP, and Tesla's nav can be way too optimistic about taking the highway vs. surface streets. My previous car had Android Auto which worked really well with Google Maps. Other people like Waze, although I did not like how chatty it was.

It would not be difficult for Tesla to implement CP/AA, but I expect this does not fit into Tesla's goal of selling FSD and future features that require space on the screen.

Would you pay $10 per month for it ? MY comes with only 1 year free premium connectivity which includes live traffic.

When I used Android Auto daily, my car's infotainment display just became an external screen for my phone. So you wouldn't need the premium connectivity, but you'd have to pay for the network usage on your phone, depending on your plan.

Don't get me wrong, I like the experience overall with Tesla nav. I just know that when the plague is over and I have to do rush hour commutes in Atlanta again, I will probably double check with Google or Waze on departure. Tesla just blindly sends me into traffic apocalypse on I-285 rather than route me through residential areas.

I don't use Apple Car play, but I don't think Apple map is better than google map, please tell me if I am wrong. I am an android guy, have used google map for a long time, love it. Tesla's nav uses Google map. To me, Tesla's nav is as good as I use android auto google nav.

Rarely if ever use the built in navigation system. Used it today and did not displease. Utter garbage, period.. Maybe acceptable 10 years ago.
Would be helpful to explain why you found it garbage (to the point it should be removed). I used it recently and it didn't seem any worse than google maps (looks like it might even be the same).

Reactions: DOCAL
I don't use Apple Car play, but I don't think Apple map is better than google map, please tell me if I am wrong. I am an android guy, have used google map for a long time, love it. Tesla's nav uses Google map. To me, Tesla's nav is as good as I use android auto google nav.

ok, as wished, you are wrong :) but not in Apple map vs Google.

I think it’s pretty good too. I prefer it over the tiny CarPlay map (Google) in my wife’s Car.

It’s Google maps, with Google routing and Google traffic. Not sure if speed limits come from Google as well.

Tesla's navigation isn't Google's. This is a misconception. It uses Google map as a base and uses another algo for routing and POIs which comes from Mapbox.

That's why navigation isn't as good as Waze or Google or even Apple's.

Last edited: