Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dear Elon: just remove navigation from your cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The map has a mind on its own- it zooms in and out, can't save settings such as map stays on a "north" direction vs direction of travel.
Actually you can. That was the first thing I changed when I got the car (I'm used to direction of travel, default is north). Just press the compass looking icon near the top right to toggle between the options.

If it's not saving (keeps resetting on its own) it might be because you don't have a profile set for the car.

Yes all other manufactures navigation system are crap also. I am basing it on Google Maps (think this is the best system) and Waze. I guess it is like using Google maps and then trying Apple maps- not in the same league.

Using a phone for nav is so silly when you have Tesla built-in nav on a huge screen and Supercharger and battery pre-heating integration, plus built-in fiddle-free voice control. Fiddling with your tiny-screened phone whilst driving isn't best-practices for safe and attentive driving, assuming you're not using voice control.

The amount of attention it takes to see a tiny screen from the wireless charging pad is objectively more distracting than seeing the big Tesla nav screen.

Why would you want to fiddle with a phone's nav in a modern vehicle? That's what you do in a 1996 Daihatsu Charade when you're 17 and your phone's tech outshines your car—not a Tesla.

By the way, 'did not displease' means you were pleased. This is similar to 'could care less' which means you care some and *could* care less but don't.

I think the Tesla nav is more than adequate, but have also used Google navigation for years and it's far superior. It's also fiddle free and accepts lots of voice commands. In Google Play mode it could also be displayed on the big screen if Tesla supported it.

The integration with battery state, supercharging, preconditioning, is all really good on Tesla's navigation, but I have to think there's an easy way to combine the two.

We use the navigation almost everywhere we go, used it today, avoided major traffic and works great.

I'm not saying it replaces Waze for police detection and real-time traffic, but it is pretty good.

Police detection? So that you can find them when you need them, right? Not because you're avoiding them or changing your behavior because of their presence?

• Funny
Reactions: DanDi58 and Mr X
I wish we could all use the same terminology. Carplay and Android Auto are the user interface on the car screen that Apple and Google Control. Then there a applications like maps, navigation, music, etc. On most vehicles there is also an underlying native OS that controls many real time items like HVAC, etc.

I doubt that Tesla will every just allow those user interfaces. They might do what other car companies do and allow that UI to run on their infotainment system under their OS. But don't hold your breath. Tesla will never give up control.

Tesla today wants full control. Just like Apple. They won't let any APP to be installed that does not go through them. Jailbreak being the unauthorized exception.

What I read here and in many other threads is that many Tesla owners want more choice. Choice in how the screen real estate is used. Choice in what applications work under the UI. Choice adds complexity. Complexity in security. Complexity in APIs and such. Complexity in user training.

There is also the company challenge in how to allocate resources. Other thread are complaining about when V11 is coming. When is FSD going to be real, etc.

Having worked for a large software company, I think of the current Tesla UI as Windows 3.0. We will all just have to wait for Windows 95. Being a "Platform" is hard.

If I were advising Tesla, I would tell them to put most of their resources on FSD. That would be a real discriminator against the competition that is coming at them. Their UI is good enough. When they have FSD in the vault, then they can do Windows95. Ship as many cars as you can for as long as you can. They have an advantage that most car companies are just not developing. They can do OTA. Other car companies want to sell you a new car to get a new infotainment system. BMW did that to me for 20 years.

Reactions: Acps110 and PACEMD
With Apple Maps I like that you can report an issue, and it gets quickly fixed. I've reported numerous issues with Apple maps, and they've all gotten fixed quickly.

With Google Maps I presume one can report a problem, and they to will fix it promptly.

With Tesla navigation I get to enjoy multiple years of the same errors with no ability whatsoever to do a damn thing about them.

With Apple Maps I like that you can report an issue, and it gets quickly fixed. I've reported numerous issues with Apple maps, and they've all gotten fixed quickly.

With Google Maps I presume one can report a problem, and they to will fix it promptly.

With Tesla navigation I get to enjoy multiple years of the same errors with no ability whatsoever to do a damn thing about them.

I haven't done it in a long time but users used to be able to make corrections to Google Maps so long as they weren't too extreme.

It looks like "Suggest an Edit" is still part of the GMaps interface. Pretty cool.

I have spent a lot money on nav systems and a lot of time learning how to use them. For the last ten years I have used my telephone exclusively. I drive a number of different cars and having one nav unit is what makes me most comfortable. I have holders in all my cars for my telephone so that I can see it properly. I have to pair my telephone to receive calls so it is the natural thing to do. I always talk to my telephone so I don't have to take my attention away from my driving. I have never used the nav system in my Tesla except to see how it works when new. I look at that big beautiful screen and say I must be missing something. I buy new telephones every couple of years but I don't buy new cars every couple of years. Is my 2018 model 3 nav up to date? I don't need the big screen as the telephonne is telling me what to do and I don't look at it much, but just to see the next exit so I am aware. I generally program my telephone before I ever get in the car. I drive the world's most crowded roads so I don't want distractions. Is there any benefit of using the nav unit in a new car? Am I missing anything?

Last edited:
Tesla has the best proprietary nav out there. If it were 2012, I would say Tesla is perfect in that regard. Today, every other brand has embraced the phone-based nav from Apple Carplay and Andriod Auto. Paying $10/month for navigation that my phone does a better job (i.e., Waze) with is counter intuitive.

Having worked for a large software company, I think of the current Tesla UI as Windows 3.0. We will all just have to wait for Windows 95. Being a "Platform" is hard.

If I were advising Tesla, I would tell them to put most of their resources on FSD. That would be a real discriminator against the competition that is coming at them. Their UI is good enough. When they have FSD in the vault, then they can do Windows95. Ship as many cars as you can for as long as you can. They have an advantage that most car companies are just not developing. They can do OTA. Other car companies want to sell you a new car to get a new infotainment system. BMW did that to me for 20 years.

This platform or security argument is non-sense. Implementing Carplay/Auto would be no harder than Hulu/Netflix/gaming that Tesla seems obsessed with. My car is for driving. A bunch of options while parked is a waste of time. Face it, Tesla wants an ecosystem filled with cult-like devotees. Supporting other ecosystems would make the coolaide taste suspiciously like almonds.

I find Tesla Nav is very easy to input and works very well EXCEPT it does not do traffic or road closure well at all therefor I run waze on a mini ipad velcroed to the phone charging flip ip cover. What I really like about Tesla nav is the huge satellite view map, shows basically everything in great detail.

Real time warnings are great, potholes, car stopped, object on the road and the police warnings are just great. An accident occured a few minutes earlier and waze has got you covered. Obviously carplay would solve this issue which allows one to chose what one likes best.

Reactions: Reeler