Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dear Elon: just remove navigation from your cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's the best navigation I've ever seen, by far. Not sure what spaceships you other guys are driving. The nav in my Audi was horrible and one of the reasons I sold the car. The Nav in my Jeep requires paying for a yearly update. Waze would be nice but only as a quasi-radar detector.

It may be second to none in terms of OEM nav systems, but it started out way behind Google Maps and Waze, and so far isn't showing much sign of catching them. Not having multiple waypoints in 2021 is ridiculous. I'd file this under, "why are you spending so much time and money trying to compete with the market leader?" I frankly couldn't believe it when I realized switching to Google Maps wasn't an option.

I would even take ABRP over the Tesla nav system, if finding superchargers was my goal.

I'm too lazy to read 4 pages worth of comments, but I am very happy with the tesla nav system. Coming from a 2019 Volvo, which was garbage and you had to use carplay. My other car is a 2020 BMW X5, the built in also is garbage and you always want to use car play. Don't even ask about my 2018 range rover that I drove for a year before I realized the whole vehicle was garbage. Just saying the tesla nav is pretty darn good and I use it constantly.

I agree with other on here, the Nav is quite good. Quick, easy to use I would say for built in its very good. Car play is garbage in comparison and have never been a fan. I think once Tesla has enough cars on the road they will launch an App Store, Elon has even hinted at this. We need more cars in people’s hands so developers want to invest the time needed

I also have had several high end cars all with nav not to mention the company vehicles and my wifes cars. None can hold a candle to Teslas nav period. Input is very quick and easy and the map is great. For those of you that complain it makes mistakes, that because you do not have experience enough on other vehicles which are much worse. The only ones that excel in performance are the common apple/google/waze maps and I only say this because the maps are more up to date and cover traffic better.

It told me I could not cross an old intersection and I had to go right, do a u-turn and then go right. Yes second to none,

In nearly 50,000 miles of using the Nav in two cars, with multiple software updates, I have yet to have an error of that magnitude come up. And I use nav for over 90% of my drives, as I like the way it tilts the map as you are driving.

I do know what you are saying, though. My old BMW did stuff like this a LOT. It once suggested that I, on a journey where I was still 45 minutes away from my destination, exit the freeway, head East about 1/2 mile, make a sharp right on a road to go South, and get back onto the freeway approximately 1/2 mile from where I entered. And there was no traffic or construction whatsoever. It had me turning onto one way streets. One time instead of me taking the exit to go north, it had me take the exit to go south, do a U turn, and then go North. And there WAS a North exit.

So yeah, it sucked. Compared to that, I have no issue with Tesla maps.

Reactions: CleverUsername
In nearly 50,000 miles of using the Nav in two cars, with multiple software updates, I have yet to have an error of that magnitude come up. And I use nav for over 90% of my drives, as I like the way it tilts the map as you are driving.

I do know what you are saying, though. My old BMW did stuff like this a LOT. It once suggested that I, on a journey where I was still 45 minutes away from my destination, exit the freeway, head East about 1/2 mile, make a sharp right on a road to go South, and get back onto the freeway approximately 1/2 mile from where I entered. And there was no traffic or construction whatsoever. It had me turning onto one way streets. One time instead of me taking the exit to go north, it had me take the exit to go south, do a U turn, and then go North. And there WAS a North exit.

So yeah, it sucked. Compared to that, I have no issue with Tesla maps.
Oh man, yes, my BMW nav used to do that all the time. It would often suggest exiting the freeway and immediately getting right back on the freeway, or exiting a fast-moving, traffic-free freeway, driving along side it on a service road, and getting back on the freeway two exits later.

• Funny
Reactions: Needsdecaf
The Tesla NAV is light years ahead of what my Acura has. Just press the right scroll button, give a voice command and it finds the route. People here except spaceship navigation. It is not perfect but then even the Google Maps on my phone is not perfect.

Elon: If people don't like the Navigation, don't use it.