Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dear Elon: just remove navigation from your cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
B577458D-F59B-412D-8EA2-48F3C6055EE0.jpeg

Wonder if this guy wins the first place for the most disliked post

I suspect many people who have used Android Auto and/or CarPlay a lot on other cars wouldn't mind if Tesla spent less effort on their in-car nav and diverted some resources to get Android Auto and CarPlay working on Teslas.
As I've noted before, the Tesla Nav system is much more deeply integrated into the car .. something that you would not get with CarPlay etc. This includes SC availability, status, SC preconditioning en route, NoA and (soon) FSD. And no, Tesla are never going to open up to using 3rd party Nav systems for stuff like NoA and FSD, since the liability issues would be huge.

I agree that CarPlay is a great system, but for me its nowhere close to a deal-breaker, especially now Tesla have waypoints.

The tesla nav(google maps sourced but not identical)is better than 90% of stock nav systems out there that are usually outdated garbage

Apple maps and google maps may be better with carplay and AA

But by no stretch is it garbage
google/apple map is better to use with tablet or iphone, but with Carplay, you can not Pinch-to-zoom on the car screen which is deal breaker. so I prefer tesla one thanks to its bigger screen.

New to Tesla here, and does Tesla nav seriously not support alternate routes? Whatever it picks it what I get?

Yep.

Here is a list of shortcomings that I can think of:

Doesn't not support alternative routes
Only has rudimentary waypoint
Has no ability to report errors to get them fixed
NoA, FSD Beta, and the Trip planner are dependent on it
Is only updated periodically.
Does not optimize a route for simplicity (like it enjoys taking me on route that force uncontrolled lefts across lots of traffic where neither google or Apple do).

What I find amusing is all the talk about autonomous driving, but the Nav is not anywhere close to being ready for that.

To each his/her own but the only thing I miss in CarPlay is the waze police alerts. The tight integration with the car is awesome. My explorer has CarPlay and there are so many bugs with my iPhone 12 such as the gps speed being wrong, having to unplug and replug the phone to get waze to update its position (a waze issue) and basic things like CarPlay not having the outside temp.
CarPlay was great compared to my built in solution in the Ford but it’s not nearly as enjoyable as the Tesla solution.
I’m not a fan of the new v11 but they seem to update it more than CarPlay even, never mind the legacy auto companies

Reactions: WhiteWi and voxel
I suspect many people who have used Android Auto and/or CarPlay a lot on other cars wouldn't mind if Tesla spent less effort on their in-car nav and diverted some resources to get Android Auto and CarPlay working on Teslas.

I use CarPlay all the time in my Bolt and have used it w/great results on it and two rental cars: an '18 Hyundai Elantra and '19 Nissan Altima. I had the Altima for awhile and put maybe 400 miles on it while traveling in Arizona... Tesla is increasingly the odd man out while most other major automakers support one or both in many of their vehicles at this point, even cheap ones.

CarPlay is last resort. I don't care for it. I used it on my ID.4 and Mach-E mainly for Spotify and occasionally Google Maps (on the ID.4 but I used native maps on the Mach-E). It's so overrated... EVs that have terrible built in music streamers and maps need to rely on CarPlay/AA.

Google Map does provide slightly better navigation that most EV built-in maps but you are also missing out on pre-conditioning and Supercharger locations.

Reactions: Lipper and leaftoy
CarPlay is last resort. I don't care for it. I used it on my ID.4 and Mach-E mainly for Spotify and occasionally Google Maps (on the ID.4 but I used native maps on the Mach-E). It's so overrated... EVs that have terrible built in music streamers and maps need to rely on CarPlay/AA.

Google Map does provide slightly better navigation that most EV built-in maps but you are also missing out on pre-conditioning and Supercharger locations.
If Tesla implements screen mirroring into a window on the screen, I think that may address a lot of people's usage of other phone apps and would take less effort than CarPlay or Android Auto (which requires much more integration). But the native mirroring standards pretty much requires connecting to a common wifi connection point, so Tesla would need to implement some kind of wifi connection in the car for the phone to connect to (in order to make it work on the go). This is also complicated by the data connection (the wifi point probably wouldn't have internet, as I don't think Tesla desires to offer tethering, so phone must be able figure out the wifi point doesn't have internet and fall back on the phone's data plan).

I forgot a bigger problem, which is preventing people from mirroring videos, which NHTSA will likely have a problem with.

Elon said he would look into it back in 2020 in response to a tweet, but so far no news. However, given Tesla eventually did do waypoints in response to tweets (also back in 2020), I guess the possibility isn't exactly zero.

Last edited:
Best nav if you compare to any legacy standard nav.
If this were 2012, Tesla would be the clear winner in proprietary nav offerings. No car company released anything that was close with even Microsoft failing with Sync 2 and other big tech efforts.

If you miss CarPlay use maps on your phone as back up. Problem solved. Legacy using android auto and CarPlay bc they can’t built good system them self.
It is illegal in many states to hold your phone while driving. I suppose you could have some hokey mount to use your phone as a backup.

I am selling my Model 3 right now mostly due to the lack of good media options. There is no good Tesla podcast option and it requires paying for a data plan to use it too. I move between different personal cars and rentals so need a common GUI to my media/mapping. When we had several Teslas, my favorite app configurations, media stations, destinations do not follow me as I move between them.

My wife loves her Tesla and listens to the FM radio primarily. No Tesla data plan so her Spotify does not function in the car. She mostly stays in the neighborhood without a long work commute or cross-country so never uses the map.

If you use your media/maps like we did a decade ago, Tesla has an amazing offering. If you want to switch to many options we have grown accustomed to on our phones, not pay for another data plan, etc., every other car brand on earth offers Carplay/Auto phone-like experiences. If you want your settings for all the media/map services to follow you regardless of car, Tesla is not the brand for you.

If you use your media/maps like we did a decade ago, Tesla has an amazing offering. If you want to switch to many options we have grown accustomed to on our phones, not pay for another data plan, etc., every other car brand on earth offers Carplay/Auto phone-like experiences. If you want your settings for all the media/map services to follow you regardless of car, Tesla is not the brand for you.

All EVs are moving to subscription services. In my time of owning Ford + VW + Toyotas in the past 5-6 months... they all have car remote + data + emergency plans and Ford even will charge you for BlueCruise (hands-free driving) in a year. The whole "not pay for another data plan" isn't happening with newer cars. We aren't like a decade ago.

I found Tesla‘s navigation okay, but the map data is a bit out-of-date (It’s downloaded to the car occasionally). For example, West Seattle bridge has ben shutdown for a while and Tesla still wants to take it. Yesterday, we had to resort to google map to go over to West Seattle.

To each his/her own but the only thing I miss in CarPlay is the waze police alerts.
You need your phone in the car so just lay it down on the charging pad and open Waze. This works very well for me as it announces problems not to mention police on the speakers of the car and gives me an option of 2 maps for comparison. Waze is better with diverting due to traffic or closures and up to date issues so if I need nav and am going through town I run the route on Waze.

Of all the cars I have owned, Tesla nav/maps is far superior than anything out there. Only issue I have with Waze is the advertisements that pop up occasionally. Wish they had a subscription to get rid of that BS.

Personally I do not like Car Play, I find you lose way to much functionality of the phone when running it. It has improved over time but still is too limiting IMHO. Integrating Waze to Tesla would be a big mistake, way too much to go wrong trying to make 2 systems work as one especially with the frequent updates Tesla ships OTA. Not a problem on a "normal" car as there are no updates unless you pay a few hundred dollars, go to the dealer to have them install it and even then the map is already outdated.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Yep.

Here is a list of shortcomings that I can think of:

Doesn't not support alternative routes
Only has rudimentary waypoint
Has no ability to report errors to get them fixed
NoA, FSD Beta, and the Trip planner are dependent on it
Is only updated periodically.
Does not optimize a route for simplicity (like it enjoys taking me on route that force uncontrolled lefts across lots of traffic where neither google or Apple do).

What I find amusing is all the talk about autonomous driving, but the Nav is not anywhere close to being ready for that.

Here are the two main issues I routinely have with Tesla's nav:

There's no warning (audible or visual) if traffic data indicates there's a traffic jam on my route. I'd like to know 5-10 miles ahead of time so I can get off the interstate and find another way to my destination. I think the nav will reroute in those conditions, but when I need alerts most--during my commute--I'm not watching the nav closely because I've made that drive thousands of times.

I have a side business that requires I made deliveries each weekend over multiple counties. I build/plan my routes in Google Maps in my home office. But when sharing my route from Google Maps to Tesla's nav, it only sends a single stop. So I either have to rebuild the whole route in Tesla's nav, or I just enter them one at a time as I get to each new destination (referencing the Google Maps route on my phone).

These are fairly minor gripes, but if anyone has a fix workaround let me know.

If you miss CarPlay use maps on your phone as back up. Problem solved. Legacy using android auto and CarPlay bc they can’t built good system them self.
I don’t miss CarPlay. Don’t want to stick my phone next to an already huge screen. There is nothing wrong with wanting features like alternative route selection in the default nav app. If Tesla doesn’t want to add this features, perhaps they should make maps/nav pluggable and open it up for third parties. Waze maps would be nice!

Reactions: WhiteWi