Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dear Elon, Why cant we have basic phone texting functions.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How, pray tell, do you think your suggestion would work for deaf people or anyone with an accent? Seriously, think beyond yourself for a moment.
I would say that a deaf person should be paying even more attention to the road rather than reading a text message displayed on the screen. I had a short, brief stint of using Android Auto in a Chevy Impala and having to press buttons is never a good sign to read text messages. And for someone that constantly is bashing on Tesla these days, maybe the pot shouldn't be calling the kettle black.

why cant texts be read by the car? and responded to?
why cant we dictate texts?
why is basic voice phone and command recognition so poor?

this is stuff that a $20K honda can do

My phone does everything you request through the Tesla Bluetooth speaker phone. It is a Microsoft Windows Phone 950XL. It worked in my 2014 Model S and current 2016 Model X.

I didn't realize that was something special. Like all Bluetooth headsets, it just connects your voice to the phone. The car doesn't need to be programmed to handle texts, does it?

Reactions: mkspeedr
This is a joke thread right? Been voice texting through my cell for years...why would I want to text through my car...silly.

Exactly! and I've been using navigation on my phone for years as well - why in the world would anyone need something like that integrated with their car when they can just fumble around with the phone in their pocket instead

I would say that a deaf person should be paying even more attention to the road rather than reading a text message displayed on the screen. I had a short, brief stint of using Android Auto in a Chevy Impala and having to press buttons is never a good sign to read text messages. And for someone that constantly is bashing on Tesla these days, maybe the pot shouldn't be calling the kettle black.

If you go back, you will see that you proposed using "Hey, Siri" in lieu of displaying texts on the screen. I stated that is not an adequate solution for deaf people, who would get much more out of having the text displayed on screen. Your comment of "a deaf person should be paying even more attention to the road rather than reading a text message", aside from being offensive to deaf people, is an attempt to shift away from your original position after being shown an example where your idea doesn't work.

EVERYONE should be paying attention to the road, period. Has nothing to do with whether or not you are deaf. You don't sound like someone who knows any deaf people, if you did you would understand how what you said above would be interpreted as being offensive. I'm married to a deaf person and am very dialed-in to deaf culture. They do not see themselves as disabled or handicapped, and the lack of hearing has spawned an entire subculture that is proud of being deaf, resists correcting deafness or treating it as a malady, etc. Deaf people do not view themselves as less capable than hearing people, just as people who speak a different language. Walk a mile in their shoes.

Displaying text messages in a large font is likely a much safer solution than forcing someone to pick up their phone, lift it to their face and read the small type. It's certainly much less dangerous than fighting with Siri through a deaf accent.

"And for someone that constantly is bashing on Tesla these days, maybe the pot shouldn't be calling the kettle black." What does this mean, exactly? I'm critical of Tesla, yes. They are acting stupidly in many ways and ignoring the needs of customers. At least I'm not a lemming.

I don't think the sound system in my Tesla works for deaf people either, and yet we still have it any many find it quite useful. The deaf don't seem upset about it.
The radio is not a proposed safety feature that is being discussed here, as such it is a poor comparison.

Last edited:
They do not see themselves as disabled or handicapped, and the lack of hearing has spawned an entire subculture that is proud of being deaf, resists correcting deafness or treating it as a malady, etc. Deaf people do not view themselves as less capable than hearing people, just as people who speak a different language. Walk a mile in their shoes.
Then why are you making such a big deal about it? You're basically shining a light to the subject saying "hey look at me!" when you yourself say don't treat them any differently. So don't hate on car manufacturers when they don't curtail to your specific needs. Until they mandate text messaging to be displayed (highly doubtful) with all the distracted text drivers out there, don't demand something that's not required or may even distract a driver even more.

Lemming? Hardly. I've been critical of Tesla when it is deserving. Reading text messages in your car is very low on the list. If you're still inclined on doing so, use a damn cell phone holder like everyone else does. Too small? Then you shouldn't be reading the !@#$^% in the first place.

The excuse of limited software development resources was reasonable in 2012 & 2013.

Thank you! I've ran across a few responses that defend the lack of integration and they're all baseless and rather silly. I've everything from 'Don't you want them to focus on the important stuff?' to 'Other car manufacturers have text integration to distract you so that you crash and buy another of their cars'. Haha.

Since my last remarks in May 2017, not much has changed.

We have the new NAV 2.0 and improvements in the AP software, but other than the addition of easter eggs and arcade games, we haven't seen much else added to the onboard software. And now, we're beginning to see competitive EVs from other manufacturers.

And despite Musk's comments promising we'd (finally) see some functionality improvements in the nav software with Tesla's ability to modify the NAV 2.0 source - we still haven't seen long promised improvements like waypoints.

Tesla still has the largest displays - and the UI looks nice, but from a functionality standpoint, especially with the non-AP software, excluding the easter eggs and arcade games, there's been little improvement since my last post.

Tesla invested a lot of development over the past few years to add support for Model 3, with a horizontal display and no dashboard, coupled with the emphasis on AP, it's understandable that Version 9 didn't provide a lot of new functionality.

Hopefully Version 10 will begin to see some long-promised improvements to the non-AP software - fixes to longstanding bugs in the media player, improved nav app functionality, … - more than adding more arcade games.

And with other manufacturers providing screen mirroring for Apple & Android devices, Tesla really needs to start addressing this obvious functionality gap.