Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dear God, what is this thing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree that the 2020.20.7 version is a lot of moving stuff around to no advantage.

Bit what’s really annoying is stuff that broke.

For me, the worst thing is broken USB music resume playback. Now, once I leave the car when USB music is playing, when I come back there is nothing but a QR code ad for Tidal, music stopped. Ugh! USB music is my #1 source!

Moving the volume control is a rookie UI mistake, as is text that is unreadably small. Very disappointing.

I’m scheduled for the 20.8 “upgrade” tonight. Fingers crossed someone reported the USB music fail, but seems unlikely.

This is how I've configured my bottom shelf:

View attachment 838807

The red box between the left temperature (the driver side temp) and the 3-dot icon I have drawn is the area you can customize to have up to 4 apps of your choice. The yellow box I've drawn is the list of the most recent apps you have accessed which are not part of your apps in the red box area.

Long press on the 3-dots icon to get the listing of all available apps first (including the climate control ones). This window pops up:

View attachment 838812

Then you can drag and drop any app from this list to the bottom shelf in the area I have denoted by the red box. The apps I've chosen to add, based on my needs, to that area as you can see in the first picture are:
- Driver sear heater
- Heated steering wheel
- Phone
- Camera

You can also long press on any one of the 4 apps in the red box area and click on an "X" that appears on the top of that app to remove that app from the red box (or create more room in there for adding a new app of your choice). This moves that app back to the available apps box (the second picture).

You can also reorder your chosen 4 apps on the bottom shelf by long pressing on one and moving it left or right within the red box I've drawn.

One more: to get to the entire climate menu, just swipe up from the very bottom of the bottom shelf.

I should also add I really like this version much more than the previous one (I started with version 6 in 2015 BTW).

Hope this helped.
Definitely helpful. I had learned and tried some of this from the on-screen manual, but you covered details i had missed, and your photos are great! Thanks!

Reactions: Droschke
There are two versions of the owners manual:

Model S Owner's Manual 2012–2020

Model S Owner's Manual 2021 +

At the bottom of each link, you can download the PDF version if you prefer.
The version for older cars (2012-2020) says it is for release 2022.20, but my car just got version 11 via release 2022.8.10.1, so I will have to be mindful that the manual may have features not applicable to my older car.

Reactions: electricar
The version for older cars (2012-2020) says it is for release 2022.20, but my car just got version 11 via release 2022.8.10.1, so I will have to be mindful that the manual may have features not applicable to my older car.

That's correct. The 2012-2020 range includes different varieties of cars built during that period (pre-face-lift, face-lift, MCU1, MCU2, etc.) and the manual generically covers all of them, which basically have to default with the newer cars in that range.

Relying on the Release Notes might help, but only if the noted feature update actually works for the car, like the colorization feature that is supposed to work for the older cars with MCU2 under 2022.20.6 and above (like my car), but it's not even available in the UI.

Thanks! I'll look for the three dots.
I have had trouble with the box of turn by turn directions moving around a bit. Is it supposed to?
Also -- It seems as though the button to choose the map orientation (North, direction you are in, or full route) only appears when the car is in PARK. As soon as I put it in gear, the icon disappears. Which makes no sense. I often change it as I am driving, such as to glance at the overall route.

Most likely it has moved elsewhere and I just haven't seen it -- but if so, why the H--- does it move?
Here is what the Navigation box looks like when I am navigating somewhere, and driving. I see no icon to choose the map orientation nor do I see the three dots at the bottom where one might select the option to add a stop.
PXL_20220810_153317966 (2).jpg

And then here is what the Nav box looks like when the car is parked -- Now the map orientation icon does appear, just to the left of the Nav bar. It must disappear behind or under something when the car is moving and navigation is underway.

PXL_20220810_153635669 (2).jpg

If your car has the same logic as mine when the map orientation was hidden while navigating, you'd just press the navigation window just above the Cancel and Tools icon to have the map orientation appear. Don't know if that will work, but try it. Also, try clicking on the map in a random place, and see if some added controls don't appear.

• Helpful
Reactions: David29