Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dear Tesla and Tesla FSD Team

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. I doubt Tesla will see this message. They do not respond to messages on this forum. If you want Tesla to see this message, you need to email it to Tesla.
2. There is no MCU3 AFAIK. Or are you saying that you want Tesla to give FSD beta testers a free upgrade to MCU3 if it comes out? But, I am not even aware that there are any plans for MCU3.
3. Are you posting this message just to make a point that you think the FSD visualizations are laggy?

MCU3 is real and is in new S/X,3 Y.
But it's wiring and form factor make it impossible to retrofit in older cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
MCU3 is real and is in new S/X,3 Y.
But it's wiring and form factor make it impossible to retrofit in older cars…
The Y is easier than the S. Isn’t the Intel Y liquid cooled? On the S you’d have to solve wiring AND cooling.

Also the FSD computer was not integrated in the S/X before last year, so some form factor problems besides cooling.

Last edited:
The autopilot computer is different than then the MCU. I understand your point but the AP computer is doing all the heavy lifting. With the included redundancy on the board I feel Tesla has safety as their paramount concern.
Didn’t we find out last year that they threw the AP computer redundancy out the window when they needed to start using the second node for additional computing power?

Didn’t we find out last year that they threw the AP computer redundancy out the window when they needed to start using the second node for additional computing power?
It uses both to process things faster but if one malfuctions it switchs over to a limited processing version of the code that is meant to just get the car safely off to the side of the road using only one of them.

I guess I am but software should be able to give you just as accurate a visualization.
What the cameras see, and what the computer receives for NN processing is incomprehensible to humans. There is a NN transformer that converts the data into the visualizations we see, with a basic image recognition database. Suffice to say that the new ON can see obstacles, but the image recognition database may not know what that blob is. So, the car can avoid it, but visualizations may not show what it really is - hence the grey blob they added recently.

Reactions: Supcom
Dear Tesla and Tesla FSD,

I have owned a 2018 Tesla Model S (75D) & now own 2019 Tesla Model 3. I’m a huge fan of the FSD Beta program in which I am currently enrolled and testing with my Model 3.

Problem:

I do realize the software is in Beta, however I’m contacting you in regards to the hardware installed in my vehicle. Ever since the rollout of FSD Beta, I have noticed that MCU 2 (Intel Atom) is not sufficient enough to handle the visualizations and day-to-day use of the infotainment screen. Normally I wouldn’t let this bother me as I understand technology gets outdated (ie. iPhone slowing down from one generation to the next). However, with the FSD Beta installed on vehicles with MCU 2, it should be imperative for the visualizations to properly reflect real world changes - this is a matter of safety; if the visualizations are either laggy, delayed, or buggy; what sense of confidence does this leave the user to utilize FSD?

Solution:

I am requesting your team to please consider (at least) the FSD customers whom fully purchased this package, and perhaps the FSD Subscribers, to be able to have some form of MCU 3 retrofit - similar to Model S going from MCU 1 to MCU 2. For Model S, this was simply a quality of life improvement. However, for FSD Beta and future FSD users its a matter of safety and accurate reporting.

Conclusion:

I hope to hear back from your team in regards to this request and feedback as I’m sure I can’t be the only one with this is problem, as there are many sub-Reddit’s and TeslaMotorsClub users expressing visualization issues with older MCU 2 hardware.

Thank you for your time and consideration, I hope there will be a solution to this issue in the near future.

Regards,

Arya
Well Musk said on recent earnings call that HW3 to HW4 is not going to happen. So don't waste your money. FSD on HW3 will never be achieved as promised such as Robotaxi. Musk is a genius and knows that by that time, warranties will run out, and maintaining the car will become too expensive requiring the customer to buy a new car. We all got scammed. Was a Tesla fan but not anymore. I think there will be class action lawsuit coming their way next year

I have MCU2 and FSDb and I mean, sometimes it’s a little slow, but I definitely haven’t noticed anything extreme. Got to drive a loaner the other day with the amd (no FSDb though), and it did seem a bit snappier. You can very much tell the difference when using the theater. YouTube is abysmal with MCU2.

Ps, has anyone else noticed that Apple Music takes a considerable time to load songs-like 10 to 15 seconds. Can someone with MCU 3 weigh in here with their experience with Apple Music? I’m wondering if it’s a compute problem.