Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dear Tesla: Please add Power Liftgate as a separate option

Would you like Tesla to list Power Liftgate as a separate option?

• Yes, Tesla should list Power Liftgate as a separate option.

Votes: 189 85.5%
  • No, Tesla should keep Power Liftgate as part of the $5000 Premium Package.

Votes: 32 14.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think a petition will change anything any time soon, but, perhaps over time they'll make the change. I think it is sad because the lift gate is the only thing I really need/want out of an over priced (IMO) luxury package. The ambient lights are nice, but not necessary, the turn lights are great, but can survive without. The fog lamps are eye candy only, the head liner is pretty, but not at $5000. But the lift gate gets used almost every day...very convenient to be able to pop it open when my kid is approaching with full hands, or to remotely shut it when they get their stuff and are walking away. I can live without it, and will before paying $5000 for the option, but agree it should be part of some more reasonablely priced option OR there should be something more in the luxury package to add value there (Tesla "T" puddle lights and HUD maybe?).

Perhaps we need Elon's son to voice his opinion on the matter.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk says he brought a feature back to the company's top-of-the-line sedan only after the change received negative feedback from his offspring. Speaking to attendees of the Automotive News World Congress today in Detroit, Musk said that one of his kids called the Model S "the stupidest car in the world," because it didn't have reading lights in the back. The feature had originally been removed because Musk and others believed people would use backlit devices. One of his five kids thought (and said) differently, and the lights were brought back.

Tesla originally said the removal of the lights was to increase the headroom in the backseat area, something it was able to accomplish while keeping the lights, but the company managed to ship out some cars to customers that did not have them. Tesla ultimately offered to install the lights to those customers at no cost.
Tesla added a feature back to the Model S after Elon Musk | The Verge

Totally agree the Premium Package does not make sense at all and is way overpriced. Tesla should not stump down to such petty tactics in order to increase profits. Now they have good momentum with sales they should carry on pleasing their customers as they still have a long way to go to prove themselves as a long term car manufacturer.

I mentioned this in another post, but I thought I would further refine it for some viewers liking. My wife is a soccer mom. She is part of a carpool for both soccer/lacrosse and for school. I look at the backseat of my ICE Suburban (auto liftgate) compared to my Subaru Outback(manual). In the Suburban my wife pulls up and kids jump out as she presses liftgate. Kids retrieve bags of soccer/lacrosse gear at the rear. Closes and off she drives. My Subaru does not. Which means kids throw the bags in the backseat because who wants to get out in the rain, or even at all in the line of cars dropping kids off(all whom have auto liftgates). So my backseat of the Subaru is trashed beyond belief. Suburban looks like a it could be an executive car to the airport.

So this brings me to my point. My kids are 7 and 9. They are not opening the liftgate themselves even with a TESLA stool. My wife is not getting out of the car to open it either.

I canceled my X reservation with the intention of getting a 85D for my wife. We could not wait until later next year as the ICE Suburban is also a Tow vehicle and mileage was getting to high as daily driver. One thing I know I am not going to proceed until this does get fixed. A 95k car that is hatchback styled should have that as standard. Unless TESLA wants us to be ambassadors of the brand each time we get out of our car to close the liftgate. Plus I am not going to let a nice interior get trashed ever again.

Weird, the poll said I already voted when I know I haven't. Hm.

Anyway, the option of power lift rear gate should be more affordable. This stood out as really odd when configuring a 70D. The oddest thing about making a car equipped the way you'd want it.

Who cares about LEDs? Why are they bundled like this? LEDs are cheap. This is a petty bundling for an overpriced option. That's how I read it.

There's nothing really compelling in the "premium package" except for the power liftgate.

Does the non-power liftgate at least raise on its own (due to the pneumatic tubes)?

- - - Updated - - -

Who cares about LEDs? Why are they bundled like this? LEDs are cheap. This is a petty bundling for an overpriced option. That's how I read it.

Well if history teaches us anything, just wait a couple of months for all the option packages to be shuffled around again!

I mentioned this in another post, but I thought I would further refine it for some viewers liking. My wife is a soccer mom. She is part of a carpool for both soccer/lacrosse and for school. I look at the backseat of my ICE Suburban (auto liftgate) compared to my Subaru Outback(manual). In the Suburban my wife pulls up and kids jump out as she presses liftgate. Kids retrieve bags of soccer/lacrosse gear at the rear. Closes and off she drives. My Subaru does not. Which means kids throw the bags in the backseat because who wants to get out in the rain, or even at all in the line of cars dropping kids off(all whom have auto liftgates). So my backseat of the Subaru is trashed beyond belief. Suburban looks like a it could be an executive car to the airport.

So this brings me to my point. My kids are 7 and 9. They are not opening the liftgate themselves even with a TESLA stool. My wife is not getting out of the car to open it either.

I canceled my X reservation with the intention of getting a 85D for my wife. We could not wait until later next year as the ICE Suburban is also a Tow vehicle and mileage was getting to high as daily driver. One thing I know I am not going to proceed until this does get fixed. A 95k car that is hatchback styled should have that as standard. Unless TESLA wants us to be ambassadors of the brand each time we get out of our car to close the liftgate. Plus I am not going to let a nice interior get trashed ever again.

Agree with all of this -- now each of us should also email Tesla about it. I would assume the last thing they want to hear is "I cancelled my order" or "I will not order until..." or "I will not confirm until..."

all of these 'premium' features should be standard. it's clear that the premium package is was an unscrupulous decision by a number cruncher trying to make 99% profit margin on idiots.

They even seem to have put homelink in there too according to the spec page:

Premium Package adds

• Fit and finish refinements, including the use of higher quality materials and LED lighting
  • Power liftgate
  • LED fog and cornering lights
  • Lighted door handles
  • GPS enabled homelink

(also, just registered after reading on here for a long time - just to respond to this)

I'm really upset that this got shifted around - I REALLY wanted that power liftgate - the LEDs on the door handles, cornering lights, fog lights, that I wanted too, but the powered lift gate is a must for me. It's a nice feature that I enjoy.

The "higher quality" materials do nothing for me, they look the same to me, and I rarely feel them.

Also, in my language, the danish design studio, it is referred to as "interior package" - pray tell, how are fog lights, cornering lights, door handle lights in this package? I know, I know, sorry.

I should not focus this much on a small thing like this, but everything else about Tesla is just right up my alley, and this rubbed me sideways.

Last edited by a moderator:

Premium Package adds

• Fit and finish refinements, including the use of higher quality materials and LED lighting
  • Power liftgate
  • Lighted door handles
  • GPS enabled homelink

Crap, now they'll sell it for sure. Really would not be as satisfied without homelink and power liftgate. But $5000, that is so much money...would rather, for the money, upgrade to a performance or dual option.

I believe that is a mistake because Homelink is listed as a standard feature on the same page. Dumb error. Cannot believe that Homelink would be an expensive option. It's basic these days, and is definitely standard in any luxury (or "premium) car.

Premium Package adds

• Power liftgate
  • Lighted door handles
  • GPS enabled homelink

Premium Package adds

• Power liftgate
  • Lighted door handles
  • GPS enabled homelink

That's unclear at the moment. On the design studio page, GPS enabled homelink is listed under standard equipment

I believe that is a mistake because Homelink is listed as a standard feature on the same page. Dumb error. Cannot believe that Homelink would be an expensive option. It's basic these days, and is definitely standard in any luxury (or "premium) car.

I wouldn't even remotely put it past Tesla to make that part of an expensive options package to increase the sales of said option.

It says GPS enabled homelink. You probably still get homelink as standard but it will not be GPS enabled. Small details.

I wondered that nuance. I could live without the GPS enabled part and wouldn't pay to upgrade to GPS enabled. I think they'll need something significantly more value added to make the luxury package attractive enough to spend 5 grand. Cooled seats? the puddle lights with the Tesla T I mentioned before, upgraded LTE or maybe additional charge points in the back seats. Something more.

Tesla could solve this issue by splitting the Premium Package into two parts: interior and exterior.

Interior Premium Package - $2000
Extended Leather Trim
Ambient Lighting
*Requires Alcantara Headliner (included with P85D, $1500 option otherwise)

Exterior Premium Package - $1500
LED cornering lamps and fog lamps
Lighted door handles
Power liftgate

This pricing adds up the same way but the smaller numbers are more customer friendly, making people more likely to check the boxes.

Tesla could solve this issue by splitting the Premium Package into two parts: interior and exterior.

Interior Premium Package - $2000
Extended Leather Trim
Ambient Lighting
*Requires Alcantara Headliner (included with P85D, $1500 option otherwise)

Exterior Premium Package - $1500
LED cornering lamps and fog lamps
Lighted door handles
Power liftgate

This pricing adds up the same way but the smaller numbers are more customer friendly, making people more likely to check the boxes.
That would solve several issues with one change. Makes a lot of sense.

Or they should bring back the Tech Package and include the following in that at a reasonable cost. They can then sell the following package for let's say $4,000 and I bet just about everyone will select it and Tesla will be happy with the extra revenue and customers won't feel resentment for having to pay for Alcantara when they don't want it.

+ Autopilot
+ Ambient Lighting
+ LED cornering lamps and fog lamps
+ Lighted door handles
+ Power liftgate

IMHO the Premium Package should be compromised of materials and not technology. So they can then have an interior premium package that upgrades certain materials in the car:

+ Extended Leather
+ Alcantara
+ And what they heck maybe throw in some Alcantara blankets because they really seem to want to get rid of all the Alcantara they have :)