Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dear Tesla: Please add Power Liftgate as a separate option

Would you like Tesla to list Power Liftgate as a separate option?

• Yes, Tesla should list Power Liftgate as a separate option.

Votes: 189 85.5%
  • No, Tesla should keep Power Liftgate as part of the $5000 Premium Package.

Votes: 32 14.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To pay more for something I really don't want. Albeit I just got some feedback that the wear on the leather isn't going to be an issue I would be concerned with, still, I just can't understand how the lift gate isn't standard or an option onto its own.

What issue? They virtually halved the price of the package, it's well worth the money given what is included.

Others agree...
With the price reduction at 3k instead of 5k for a liftgate its now only 2x what it should be,

so now price is not my main problem with the Premium Package (though I still don't actually want the headliner upgrade which seems a big part of the price) -- but that you have to get the leather armrests and dashboard. I want a non-leather interior but am told you can't get the premium package and opt out of that part. Apparently you can't opt out of the leather wrapped steering while anymore either.

Power liftgate is a must-have. In many regions, fog lights are a must-have.

Alcantara headliner is a must NOT have for many people. It is a very bad idea to bundle valuable functional options with a cosmetic option which a lot of people will actively want to AVOID.

Tesla has been told not to mix functional and cosmetic options before. Apparently the people at Tesla marketing are fools who don't listen to the customers, because they haven't been listening to this very basic advice, which they've been told for several years.

Tesla has made it unusually hard to replace the headliner due to a non-standard attachment scheme, by the way. (I looked into this.)

Power liftgate is a must-have. In many regions, fog lights are a must-have.

I would include power liftgate as very much an optional extra as with all of the other things in the premium package. It is not a "must-have" to me as the mechanism weighs more and is an unnecessary drain on the battery.

Also, if you do not choose them, are the fog lights still present but with ordinary bulbs?

Was I re-ordering I would not have chosen the premium package. When I ordered the tech package, what I wanted were the Autopilot features but I had to buy a power lift gate as well. This split seems much more sensible now and with the drop in price is reasonable.

Just pulled the trigger on a 70D.

I am going to add my voice to the displeasure of having function items bundled with aesthetic items.

I am pretty strong, but, 5 foot 7 later 40's female found the trunk a little bit wieldy while trying to close it.

I golf, a lot. Was looking forward to putting the bag on my back and closing the trunk with the push of a button. Now, I can see me whap my bag into the car while trying to close it by hand. Simply a longer process to put the bag down, close, etc but was really looking forward to avoiding that.

Simply cannot justify the 3K.

The lift really should be a separate line item.

Just pulled the trigger on a 70D.

I am going to add my voice to the displeasure of having function items bundled with aesthetic items.

I am pretty strong, but, 5 foot 7 later 40's female found the trunk a little bit wieldy while trying to close it.

I golf, a lot. Was looking forward to putting the bag on my back and closing the trunk with the push of a button. Now, I can see me whap my bag into the car while trying to close it by hand. Simply a longer process to put the bag down, close, etc but was really looking forward to avoiding that.

Simply cannot justify the 3K.

The lift really should be a separate line item.

I'm a petite 5"1...guess i'll be getting a good arm workout every time I access the trunk...and will likely resent Tesla a little for not making the power lift gate pricing "within my reach"!

Picked up my Automatic Liftless 70D last night.

Do I wish it had it? Yes. Not at the price and the additional options which I did not feel would match my textile interior.

However, that being said, the keyfob still unlocks, but does not raise the lift.

I struggled trying to manually close a lift with the automatic suspension. Mine is much lighter and easier to open and close. I am pretty sure all Teslas have this (well, I am guessing) but, there are two pull down slots on the lift itself which help.

I might however give into another charging cable just to avoid having to go through the whole routine when I charge at home.

So, if you are debating 86ing the lift gate its not unwielding, just not as convenient.

Make the power lifegate $1000 and i will be much more inclided to buy now. Right now i am waiting for an inventory car with the premium package so i can buy without paying the extra cost. Yes some will say it is 2K out of 100K car. But that 2K is still a alot when i dont care about the other useless stuff that comes with it.

I am a person who hates it when people buy things they dont use. I just dont want to hate myself when i pay for ssomething i dont use.

Make the power lifegate $1000 and i will be much more inclided to buy now. Right now i am waiting for an inventory car with the premium package so i can buy without paying the extra cost. Yes some will say it is 2K out of 100K car. But that 2K is still a alot when i dont care about the other useless stuff that comes with it.

I am a person who hates it when people buy things they dont use. I just dont want to hate myself when i pay for ssomething i dont use.

power lift gates should be standard on this car period. They are standard on many cars 1/3 or 1/4 the price!

Even with buying the jump seat option, my Model S doesn't come with a standard lift gate? It was standard in my 2006 Lexus. Really, 10 years later? And worse still, they can't add it per my call to Tesla Service Center just now. I'd happily pay for the full tech package, but that's sadly also not an option. They advised me to try an aftermarket solution.

I'm desperate. Anyone found an aftermarket solution? I'm not concerned about the cost. Want the best solution integrated if anyone has ideas. Thanks!

Reactions: DaveT
power lift gates should be standard on this car period. They are standard on many cars 1/3 or 1/4 the price!

I completely agree, at this price point this feature should be standard. I also don't understand why they don't have lighted vanity mirrors in a $100k car, I don't utilize it but my wife would tell you it's a must have feature.

They clearly want to force those that want the lift gate to spend the extra $$$ by bundling.