Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dear Tesla... Please bring a new New England Service Center for Christmas!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

minderbinder

Supporting Member
Oct 19, 2015
Concord, MA
Ok, so I know this isn't news to any New Englanders here (given that there are several threads about it!), but trying to supply all of New England from the single Dedham SC is pushing both customers and staff to the brink. It was driven home to me when I was looking at this graph from mor-ev.org (the site for Mass EV rebates):

Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 9.45.48 AM.png

The light blue is, essentially, Tesla deliveries. All of that out of one SC is not sustainable. So where to put a new one? The same site gives a clue:

Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 9.46.36 AM.png

All the dark areas are W/NW of Boston. How about:

- Burlington?
- Littleton?
- Salem NH?

or anywhere else in that area? Please?

I recall having a conversation about this with one of the sales people at Dedham, maybe two years ago. Supposedly they were looking then. I guess finding a site is on "Tesla time..."
More seriously, given Elon's recent remarks about how close the company was to running out of cash during the 3rd quarter, it may well be that expansion plans have had to take a back set to building and delivering the cars....

I recall having a conversation about this with one of the sales people at Dedham, maybe two years ago. Supposedly they were looking then. I guess finding a site is on "Tesla time..."
More seriously, given Elon's recent remarks about how close the company was to running out of cash during the 3rd quarter, it may well be that expansion plans have had to take a back set to building and delivering the cars....
That's my guess as well. I'm not happy about it, but I definitely can understand the problem Tesla has. Hopefully they'll make some money in 2019 and we'll see at least one new SC by 2020.

Yea, somewhere in that Westford-Littleton-Acton-Concord area.....

However, to show a little love to some of our fellow New Englanders, I actually hope they push for the Nashua, NH area. Deliveries to the northern states can go through there, freeing up Dedham for MA deliveries only. Nashua could also be used for plain old service for all of us in the area.

Here's a map with a 100 mi. circle from Nashua (h/t to @BlueShift and supercharge.info)

as you can see....Nashua would cover a lot of ground, and even though there would be plenty of overlap in Southern New England, it would open up deliveries to the North, which will become increasingly important in the next 12-24 months as the "base"3 becomes available and ramps, and when we start seeing Model Y's on the road.

nashua.PNG

About 3 months ago, I pulled into the Dedham SC for a charge and saw a large number of deliveries. Stunned by all the Model 3's and people waiting, I asked a sales person how many cars they were delivering. He said the day would set a record at 70 deliveries. Gee...if they do half that number multiple times every week, the number of EVs in New England increases rapidly. Some percentage of this growing population will require servicing so New England needs another SC or major expansion of existing SCs.

As much as I would like a service centr in Nashua (since I'm right next door in Hudson), I think it would make more sense for them to open in Manchester. Maybe they could buy the Sears Auto Center at the Mall of New Hampshire (there's one in Nashu's Pheasant Lane Mall as well). Apparently, though, some private firm has the rights to the Auto Centers in the wake of the Sears bankruptcy.

The Peabody, MA one is definite. Tesla has already applied for building permits for the alterations (though they aren't approved yet). See the thread that minderbinder linked in post #8.

Ok, so Peabody (for out-of-towners, pronounced with one syllable - "Peebudee") it is. Wouldn't be my favorite choice but still works better for me than Dedham, and certainly will split the service load. Looks like they'll have a lot more room than in Dedham as well.

I have to agree, a service and delivery center is needed very badly in the Nashua/Manchester area ASAP to serve all of northern New England. It's insane that Dedham is still the only delivery option for five states, and only nearby Watertown for service. I certainly would like something on the north shore of Boston too but that's still not a big help for much of New England.
Hopefully we will finally see some development in the first half of 2019

It's insane that Dedham is still the only delivery option for five states, and only nearby Watertown for service.
Dedham is really only a delivery option for MA and the 2 NE states with sales tax rates higher than MA (RI and CT). If you live in a state with lower sales tax (NH, VT, ME), Tesla either does home delivery or has you pick up NY so you don't lose money paying the obligatory MA sales tax.

Neither really scales, so if they are serious about selling in volume in NH, VT, and ME, they really need a sales and service center in southern NH.

Oh my god, if they did Nasuha (I'd even accept Salem) I would be soooooo happy. I'd guess that Manchester is too much of a pain for anybody between Chelmsford and Burlington to get to, so it's likely not worth putting it up here. But the thought of driving to Watertown or Dedham to get work done makes my eyes water. I did the Watertown drive last month just to judge it and to pick up a charger cable, and just no. That location is a massive pain, even thought the people are awesome. If there's any traffic at all at the intersection right at that corner, you're hosed. And there's always traffic at that corner.

On a selfish note, the sales tax thing would be nice. Not paying sales tax on parts or service would be a nice little discount. :) But seriously, southern NH has our highest population by far and is probably the most likely to have a higher concentration of Teslas.

Oh my god, if they did Nasuha (I'd even accept Salem) I would be soooooo happy. I'd guess that Manchester is too much of a pain for anybody between Chelmsford and Burlington to get to, so it's likely not worth putting it up here. But the thought of driving to Watertown or Dedham to get work done makes my eyes water. I did the Watertown drive last month just to judge it and to pick up a charger cable, and just no. That location is a massive pain, even thought the people are awesome. If there's any traffic at all at the intersection right at that corner, you're hosed. And there's always traffic at that corner.

On a selfish note, the sales tax thing would be nice. Not paying sales tax on parts or service would be a nice little discount. :) But seriously, southern NH has our highest population by far and is probably the most likely to have a higher concentration of Teslas.
If they're doing Peabody, it would be wise to put a NH one further north.

Reactions: DrDabbles
Agreed with you both. If they do Peabody, it'd probably make more sense to put an NH one in Concord for us residents or the lakes region for all those people that have vacation homes up there. :) But no matter where they put one, the number of Teslas on the road is growing very fast and we'll all enjoy having more techs and more timeslots available.