Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Death of a center screen / touch screen after warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this is my biggest worry going forward and out of warranty.

What gets me is that, based upon my research in the past 24 hours, the likely culprit is the failure of $10 worth of flash memory that's been degraded by read/write of tons of useless logging data. It pains me considerably that I'll be paying $3000 for this repair, especially since it was preventable by a better design (less logging; memory that's on a DIMM instead of soldered, etc.).

Absolutely buy the extended warranty when the original one ends.

With the cost of the policy and the deductible, I don't think you're any further ahead unless you also need other repairs. Plus, if you invested those funds in places other than the extended warranty, you might be further ahead without it, especially if you don't end up needing the repair (knock wood).

Reactions: davidc18
15336089452938646717775545409544.jpg I’m at 48k miles and this weird white “halo” around the border of my touchscreen appeared. Not sure if I should just keep it that way or get it replaced before I hit 50k and take a chance that the rebuilt one they put in is going to last.

View attachment 323577 I’m at 48k miles and this weird white “halo” around the border of my touchscreen appeared. Not sure if I should just keep it that way or get it replaced before I hit 50k and take a chance that the rebuilt one they put in is going to last.

Replace it under warranty... no need to roll the dice with Tesla :cool:

View attachment 323577 I’m at 48k miles and this weird white “halo” around the border of my touchscreen appeared. Not sure if I should just keep it that way or get it replaced before I hit 50k and take a chance that the rebuilt one they put in is going to last.

It seems to be a crapshoot on weather you get a whole new MCU or they just replace the screen. I would say replace it as it is likely to only get worse.

Always best to report it when you discover it. You don't need to schedule the appt -- just send an email and tell them the problem and then you can take your time getting it fixed -- not only in case you get a new part -- but also in case other things develop you want fixed before the warranty expires.

Add me to the list of out-of-warranty with dead MCU. 2013 (March) P85 77k miles. This surprised me as they replaced the MCU 2 years ago. I can't afford this repair, and definitely if it is going to happen every 2-3 years. Very disappointed Tesla hasn't come up with a more reasonable fix for this poor engineering.
You have 2014, 2015, and 2016 Teslas, and you can't afford to have this fixed?

If you're technical you can fix it.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors