Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Death of a center screen / touch screen after warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought our 2014 MS-85 a month ago, through a Tesla pre-owned. The MCU seems basically dead at this point, as it just goes through a perpetual boot cycle. Hard reboots don't fix it at this point. I'm curious, does anyone know if an MCU replacement is covered by the pre-owned warranty (2 years, 100k total)? I'm nervous to think I just spent $40k on this car, through Tesla, to have to spend another couple thousand :/

I just bought our 2014 MS-85 a month ago, through a Tesla pre-owned. The MCU seems basically dead at this point, as it just goes through a perpetual boot cycle. Hard reboots don't fix it at this point. I'm curious, does anyone know if an MCU replacement is covered by the pre-owned warranty (2 years, 100k total)? I'm nervous to think I just spent $40k on this car, through Tesla, to have to spend another couple thousand :/

Yes, it should be covered by the Tesla pre-owned warranty.

Interesting to read about the MCU problems. I had a 2013 MS RWD with parking sensors. No problems for 4 years. Was debating on whether to invest in a 2 yr xtnded service plan before I drove it from NY to FL. Figured to be safe than sorry. 14 mos. later had to have the rear driver side air suspension unit replaced and new drive unit installed. 2 months later lost communication with the car. Flew down to Florida and the MCU (3g) had failed. Tesla transported it to the nearest service center (95 miles away), they desperately need another service center for southwest Florida! Replaced the MCU with a 4g unit - I was told this was a brand new unit (I believe is the MCU 2 unit?). Car only had 35000 miles on the ODO. Getting the 2 year service plan saved me some serious $$.
I decided to trade it in - was offered $33,500 and see it now online in new inventory for $37,500. With the trade in for another MS the savings in taxes comes in pretty close to what they are selling it for. So now I have a new 2019 MS 100D with EAP (with a Due Bill for the FSD update).
A couple of days ago I was driving the new MS - got to a stop sign and my directional froze, along with other functions. Then both screens went blank and the car rebooted itself. Pulled into a parking lot and manually rebooted it. All has been well since then. Techs researched the incident and there appears to be a problem with the new intel processors rebooting (not sure of the circumstances that cause them to reboot). They say it will be fixed with a firmware upgrade coming soon - so I am not the only one with these new MCUs using the intel chips. I think they are using intel’s Atom processors.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Interesting to read about the MCU problems. I had a 2013 MS RWD with parking sensors. No problems for 4 years. Was debating on whether to invest in a 2 yr xtnded service plan before I drove it from NY to FL. Figured to be safe than sorry. 14 mos. later had to have the rear driver side air suspension unit replaced and new drive unit installed. 2 months later lost communication with the car. Flew down to Florida and the MCU (3g) had failed. Tesla transported it to the nearest service center (95 miles away), they desperately need another service center for southwest Florida! Replaced the MCU with a 4g unit - I was told this was a brand new unit (I believe is the MCU 2 unit?). Car only had 35000 miles on the ODO. Getting the 2 year service plan saved me some serious $$.
I decided to trade it in - was offered $33,500 and see it now online in new inventory for $37,500. With the trade in for another MS the savings in taxes comes in pretty close to what they are selling it for. So now I have a new 2019 MS 100D with EAP (with a Due Bill for the FSD update).
A couple of days ago I was driving the new MS - got to a stop sign and my directional froze, along with other functions. Then both screens went blank and the car rebooted itself. Pulled into a parking lot and manually rebooted it. All has been well since then. Techs researched the incident and there appears to be a problem with the new intel processors rebooting (not sure of the circumstances that cause them to reboot). They say it will be fixed with a firmware upgrade coming soon - so I am not the only one with these new MCUs using the intel chips. I think they are using intel’s Atom processors.
You and Sheryl Crow.

You and Sheryl Crow.

Sheryl Crow’s Tesla malfunctions, and singer asks Twitter for help

upload_2019-4-3_23-14-30.png

My similar vintage S85 continuously rebooting console was solved with a forced V9 update (from V8).

They pushed it OTA and applied it OTA while the console was cycling. Didn't know that was possible but it was.

Not cycling anymore.

My similar vintage S85 continuously rebooting console was solved with a forced V9 update (from V8).

They pushed it OTA and applied it OTA while the console was cycling. Didn't know that was possible but it was.

Not cycling anymore.

Oh interesting. I'm glad that happened to work! Tesla reviewed it and said the MCU is bad and they are replacing it today. I'm glad that's not the case for you!

It's a fingers crossed thing Tesla tries just before swapping the MCU out, that sometimes but not always addresses the cycling problem. And I was happy it worked in my case because I'm off warranty.

I was told the practice is: if the first push works to stop cycling, they push it again with another OTA staging of the very same software version you just got. But the second download can be applied on your own schedule (because the console is now working!) to select either "now" or pick the time to apply. My second dose came along a few days after the one they managed and applied.

I had the same problem with my MCU a few months ago. Was on ver 8.1 with constant boot up cycle. Thought I was going to need a new MCU. Called Tesla and a tech was able to log in to my car & cleared corrupted memory files. Updated my car to new software ver 9 & everything is all good now.

With every UI update there is always a subgroup that goes frothing mad about the changes. The vast majority of people are indifferent.
Well in this case it's just uncalled for removal of features and changes to the fundamental operation of the car that don't make it any better, but in many cases are objectively worse (100% broken web browser that only loads white screens - web browser is now more broke than before, objectively).

You can argue about the subjective preferences of UI and who prefers light gray lines on a gray background everywhere, but it's easy to point out objectively worse or more broken things, and that doesn't make sense...

I bit my tongue or winced on a few earlier updates ... on their UI gaffs.
But V9 is wide sweeping provably bad design, it really takes the cake!
I could dissect it and literally write a book on what not to do for a car UI using this example. Or maybe I should start a thread and post a feature per day as to what else sucks about it. We could concentrate the froth in one place!

All I can say is, "it's not pretty but remains functional"... one star review for that.
Except for some people who have broken browser.. then half-star review I guess.

Last edited: