Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Death of a center screen / touch screen after warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[QUOTE="scottm, post: 3545298, member: 25876]I bit my tongue or winced on a few earlier updates ... on their UI gaffs.
But V9 is wide sweeping provably bad design, it really takes the cake!
I could dissect it and literally write a book on what not to do for a car UI using this example. Or maybe I should start a thread and post a feature per day as to what else sucks about it. We could concentrate the froth in one place!

All I can say is, "it's not pretty but remains functional"... one star review for that.
Except for some people who have broken browser.. then half-star review I guess.[/QUOTE]

And also the Spotify app that has been broken since before Xmas

• Love
Reactions: neroden
There is a thread on petition to bring back features of v8 that were removed in v9 (and not replaced with anything to take their place). Some features that were removed were:
  • icons to launch apps quickly at top of screen (now top of screen is uselessly empty with bluetooth and other icons no one ever cares about or needs at eye level);
  • Put any app on top of screen and put maps on the bottom;
  • have two apps open when one of them is not music (for example, right now you can't open energy and phone at the same time - you can have any two apps you want as long as one of them is music!);
  • web browser that loads pages;
  • the ability to not have maps running in background*;
  • the ability to have rear view cam on top of screen*;
  • a power button for AC on/off screen*;
  • not having to look down and take eyes off road to launch any app*
The ones that have asterisks are changes to the fundamental operation of the vehicle, which happen to make it less safe to operate.

Anyway, this has gotten OT, but I suggest going to the thread and posting. Also a bunch of people have emailed tesla executive level. I got some canned response in return.

With every UI update there is always a subgroup that goes frothing mad about the changes. The vast majority of people are indifferent.

Non-sense. Nobody prefers version 9, who has both, or has seen it before having the choice to upgrade. At least, I've never seen a "I evaluated Version 9 and then made the switch, because ___, ___, and ___ were better." Never, ever.

Now that I am out of warranty, with <52k on the V8 car:
  • 50.3k miles "Charge port needs service"
  • Two MCU reboots, after thousands of miles with no issue
There's resignation, to going forward w/o the ESA. Problems, that don't seem like they should be problems, are the tricky part.

There is a thread on petition to bring back features of v8 that were removed in v9 (and not replaced with anything to take their place). Some features that were removed were:
  • icons to launch apps quickly at top of screen (now top of screen is uselessly empty with bluetooth and other icons no one ever cares about or needs at eye level);
  • Put any app on top of screen and put maps on the bottom;
  • have two apps open when one of them is not music (for example, right now you can't open energy and phone at the same time - you can have any two apps you want as long as one of them is music!);
  • web browser that loads pages;
  • the ability to not have maps running in background*;
  • the ability to have rear view cam on top of screen*;
  • a power button for AC on/off screen*;
  • not having to look down and take eyes off road to launch any app*
The ones that have asterisks are changes to the fundamental operation of the vehicle, which happen to make it less safe to operate.

Anyway, this has gotten OT, but I suggest going to the thread and posting. Also a bunch of people have emailed tesla executive level. I got some canned response in return.
You can power off the AC with a long press of the fan icon.

Non-sense. Nobody prefers version 9, who has both, or has seen it before having the choice to upgrade. At least, I've never seen a "I evaluated Version 9 and then made the switch, because ___, ___, and ___ were better." Never, ever.

Now that I am out of warranty, with <52k on the V8 car:
  • 50.3k miles "Charge port needs service"
  • Two MCU reboots, after thousands of miles with no issue
There's resignation, to going forward w/o the ESA. Problems, that don't seem like they should be problems, are the tricky part.
While it's true I don't prefer v9, I am definitely in the "meh" crowd referred to by @jelloslug.

I think most of people's issue is with the full-time rear view camera business, and I just don't use that. I know how to adjust mirrors.

Is the UI annoyingly dumb? Of course. But v9 is no worse than v8 FOR MY PARTICULAR CASE. I don't claim such for anyone else.

Reactions: jelloslug
We can lower brightness, by 7 down-sweeps of the right SW scroll wheel (after accidentally tapping it). Or, by using a phone application.

At the risk of being called old, frothing at the mouth, or, my favorite, "afraid of change": A single swept thumb-wheel seems a better idea. This thread, and many others, could explode into debate over things as simple as a dial, or knob. Sorry, for going OT, but MCU problems forcing Version 9 represent their own $$ cost. It also makes the ~$2,000 MCU quotes less appealing.

You can power off the AC with a long press of the fan icon.
That's still a very fundamental change to vehicle operation that is certainly less safe than before (obvious power button gone and hidden behind additional click). Long press is still less safe. Your hand is off the wheel for a while... You can also power it off with the right scroll wheel in one press. But that's a change to a very fundamental aspect of vehicle operation nonetheless.

That's still a very fundamental change to vehicle operation that is certainly less safe than before (obvious power button gone and hidden behind additional click). Long press is still less safe. Your hand is off the wheel for a while... You can also power it off with the right scroll wheel in one press. But that's a change to a very fundamental aspect of vehicle operation nonetheless.
Frothy.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden
I wonder if Elon thinks V9 sucks for the S and X. We need to twitter him until he fixes it.

Unfortunately, the arrival of Cousin Oliver (aka Model 3) ruined it for S/X owners... everything is now inspired by the 3 UI. Despite the S/X having a larger screen, different orientation, etc... we now get small and non-intuitive button layouts.

v9 now forces the display of Nav and Music on the center screen... despite this being redundantly available on the IC display. By unifying the 3 and S/X interfaces, they had to design for lowest common denominator... the single, smaller M3 display.

My biggest gripe with v9 is no longer being able to have the Camera up top (where it's closer to eye-level) and being able to glance at traffic maps at the bottom. While we can now move the camera (almost) to the top, it forces the media player to take up rest of the display and we're left with a useless sliver of a map/traffic view.

I doubt Tesla is going to revert the UI, I think the best we can do is to campaign Tesla to implement "Themes", i.e. "Classic Theme" and maybe also a "Debbie Gibson Electric Youth" theme so Elon can have something totally tubular to tweet about.

I was forced to v9 after two MCU's died. v9 sucks.

Last edited:
Ingineer could be capable of doing it. I'm talking specifically about @tedsk , who did mine when my eMMC failed (again) and I didn't want to replace the entire thing (again)

My MCU went out about a week ago (2015 85D, 137,000 miles). I had just taken it in for the 4 year service a few weeks ago, and the touchscreen would go blank from time to time after this, but always come back after a reboot. Eventually it would not come back at all despite trying the various reboot sequences. It is now back with Tesla to diagnose.

Any chance @tedsk or @Ingineer can assist? I have replaced 3 door handles and willing to do some DIY if I can avoid giving Tesla another 3K.

Reactions: davidc18
I am now a member of this club. The MCU on my P90D (built May 2016) just died completely. I was given an appointment 4 weeks into the future. The next day, the airbag warning light came on. Tesla told me to bring the car in right away.
They have had it 2 days, with the last message telling me that they needed to involve engineering. If this was just a question of replacing a chip, I would volunteer to do this myself. I do have the 4 year warranty, and am only at 51km. Let's see where this goes....

My MCU went out about a week ago (2015 85D, 137,000 miles). I had just taken it in for the 4 year service a few weeks ago, and the touchscreen would go blank from time to time after this, but always come back after a reboot. Eventually it would not come back at all despite trying the various reboot sequences. It is now back with Tesla to diagnose.

Any chance @tedsk or @Ingineer can assist? I have replaced 3 door handles and willing to do some DIY if I can avoid giving Tesla another 3K.
2015 S is likely older embedded storage (eMMC). That’s likely going to die for all of these due to non robust chip type and excessive early logging... it is soldered down.

Lot of info here: HowTo Tesla - Repairing the Black MCU Screen - DIY Electric Car Forums

My screen is losing fluid. Tesla help desk said a fix is being tested to just replace the soft touch pad.
That being said. There is no way in hell they can charge the same price for a ""rebuilt"" MCU1. Get complete MCU1 off eBay for 1k , change it myself.
I got new motor and gearbox last month. NO ONE, I MEAN NO ONE will give me new warranty in writing on paper. I've gone into my account and sent questions. Answer, "we will get back to you within 24 to 48 hours", nothing. I say its 8 years. Yes, good luck.
In my humble opinion, service has gone all to hell since the 3 introduction. I was in Richmond SC last week, it was a circus.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I got new motor and gearbox last month. NO ONE, I MEAN NO ONE will give me new warranty in writing on paper. I've gone into my account and sent questions. Answer, "we will get back to you within 24 to 48 hours", nothing. I say its 8 years. Yes, good luck.

Warranty information can be found here: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...sories-body-repair-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

If you paid for the drive unit, the warranty is 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. If you got the drive unit replaced under warranty, which I assume was your case, the warranty on the replacement drive unit is the remainder of the original car warranty or 90 days, whichever is longer.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18