Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Death of a center screen / touch screen after warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
51k miles and center screen went black after a reset.
Tesla called and said the center screen was dead.
Cost 4300 for screen around 4900 after labor and taxes.

After some Tums I swallowed that, but the following issues were worse.

1. I requested that the broken screen to be returned to me. Tesla initially said it had to go back to the factory. After reviewing consumer protection laws with them they decided to give it to me. The back and forth delayed the return of my car by 2 days.
2. Due to this I asked if the installed screen was a new unit or rebuilt. It was rebuilt. I pointed out that this was likely illegal as they did not disclose this to me in the estimate.
3. Warranty is 1 year and I think 12k miles, ie 8 months of driving for me.

My guess is that the electrical shorts seen in early models are likely confined to a chip or circuit board that can be replaced for 100's of dollars and Tesla is reselling these screens without disclosing this for 1000's of dollars. If true this blows a rather large hole in Elon's statement that repair services would not be a profit center for Tesla. It also raises the question of the monopoly they have on repairs and the their ability to create business for themselves via their wireless connection to the car. I certainly don't think they are doing this as they are trying to build a company, but eventually they will be run by the same type of management that runs the cable companies. I fully support Tesla's right to sell cars without a dealership but the monopoly on repairs is a concern. The fact that they may be using it as a significant profit center amplifies this concern.

Any disgruntled Tesla employee's out there who want to let me know how to fix my old centerscreen?

Wow, $5K for a used console display with a 1 yr warranty??? Yea.. pretty sure that's not mentioned in the "lower maintenance costs" discussions.

It's policies like this that will definitely have to change before I'd consider converting my M3 deposit into an order. Fortunately it looks like many other mainstream manufacturers are bringing ev models into the marketplace soon.

Thanks for sharing.

Wow, $5K for a used console display with a 1 yr warranty??? Yea.. pretty sure that's not mentioned in the "lower maintenance costs" discussions.

It's policies like this that will definitely have to change before I'd consider converting my M3 deposit into an order. Fortunately it looks like many other mainstream manufacturers are bringing ev models into the marketplace soon.

Thanks for sharing.
Just as an FYI up to this point I have been very happy with Tesla service.
My guess is this started when they were replacing screens under warranty which is fine, but they carried it over to those early adopters who have had the misfortune of loosing a center screen out of warranty. They need to make some changes.

Reactions: neroden and robby
That sounds like more than a screen. No flat panel of that size costs any where near $4,300. $4,300 buys a top of the line 27" iMac which has more compute power, memory and storage than the CID. Not only does this sound like the complete CID, it sounds like one that is premium priced.

What exactly did they return to you? Is it just a flat panel? If so, something is wrong.

Is there a state consumer protection bureau in Wisconsin?

That sounds like more than a screen. No flat panel of that size costs any where near $4,300. $4,300 buys a top of the line 27" iMac which has more compute power, memory and storage than the CID. Not only does this sound like the complete CID, it sounds like one that is premium priced.

What exactly did they return to you? Is it just a flat panel? If so, something is wrong.

Is there a state consumer protection bureau in Wisconsin?
It's more than a screen but I agree. My top of the line 17 inch lap top cost less and I bought it new not refurbished.
I thought I had more pics but this is what the back side looks like. I'll try to post some more over the weekend.
IMG_0145.JPG

@Ingineer has pointed out that the sys logging wears the flash out pretty quick on these units. I wonder if that's what led to this failure.
From the photo the CID is clearly the whole computer, not just the display. The display may well be fine and it's some piece of the computer that failed. With many components, one weak (or poorly cooled) component can certainly fail, but $5,000 is outrageous.

I personally always stay within the factory warranty and this is an obvious message to everyone else that going outside the warranty could be risky.

From the photo the CID is clearly the whole computer, not just the display. The display may well be fine and it's some piece of the computer that failed. With many components, one weak (or poorly cooled) component can certainly fail, but $5,000 is outrageous.

I personally always stay within the factory warranty and this is an obvious message to everyone else that going outside the warranty could be risky.

Yes, the CID is the computer including the gateway. It is possible to only replace the display but most often Tesla will replace the entire unit (MCU). Bad flash could easily have been the cause of the failure. And the cause of that is likely verbose logging that performs a high cycle of read/writes.

Two points:

1. Go buy a similar component for a high end Mercedes or BMW, and let me know what that set you back. It won't be cheaper.

2. It's about volume. Tesla sold, what, 10 or 15K cars in 2013? That screen will cost a lot more in such relatively low volumes than if they were making a million of them. So, 4K might not be that far out of line. Go buy a factory part for a small aircraft. A bloody alternator will cost 4k.