Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Debadged P3D on delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel like I’m taking crazy pills when I pop in this thread.

Do you want the cool stuff? Spend 5k

Do you not want the cool stuff? Don’t spent 5k

Tesla is not doing any mix-and-matching of cool stuff without spending 5k

All true but some of us would prefer to do our own cool stuff, like lighter than stock wider wheels, better tires than the PS4S “eco” with 500 wear rating, adjustable coil overs to lower the car more than ~0.4”, etc.

All true but some of us would prefer to do our own cool stuff, like lighter than stock wider wheels, better tires than the PS4S “eco” with 500 wear rating, adjustable coil overs to lower the car more than ~0.4”, etc.

And I totally respect that. Probably works out to be better performing than their package - but also realize no one, or any dealer, will care when you go to trade that in later. You’ll see nothing from that in terms of a higher offer... but it’ll be sweet.

In general people seem to be upset that the performance upgrade package isn’t included in the performance model itself. I also get that.

Maybe I’m paying a premium to have a higher resale value and parts covered under warranty, at expense of performance itself. All valid decisions.

I’ve learned to buy the car you want - now.

Not mess it up with mods that can cause issues, and dealers can point to - to avoid service, later

Last edited:
5k is a smoking deal IMO. Performance brakes are expensive. especially 2 piece rotors and high performance calipers. that alone could run you 5k easily depending on the stats. Add in the wheels and suspension. It probably even has way better tires too. it's a no brainer for the upgrade.
If when I ordered (June 27) I knew the $5k option included lower suspension and bigger brakes, I’d have spent the extra $.

Unfortunately configurator and info on the car was very misleading at that time. It wasn’t until several weeks later did we get confirmation on the various differences.

My thought at the time was: I don’t like the wheels at all, so don’t want the hassle of selling / painting them and I’m not concerned with a stick-on spoiler and pedals.

Knowing what we now know, I’d probably go for the pack considering the deal it represents. However I’m not too worried about my choice, I know for a fact I’ll never utilize the brake enhancements, I like the look of bare Aeros, and I’ve got an extra few $k to put towards tints.

Reactions: Msjulie
5k is a smoking deal IMO. Performance brakes are expensive. especially 2 piece rotors and high performance calipers. that alone could run you 5k easily depending on the stats. Add in the wheels and suspension. It probably even has way better tires too. it's a no brainer for the upgrade.

it has "better" tires in that they're better than the all-seasons on the 18s, but inferior to the non-tesla version of the same tire- as Elon noted, they compromised performance on the 20" tires to preserve being able to hit the 310 mile stated range.

Suspension thusfar we have 0 info on it actually being any better, just on it being 0.39 inches lower- which could just be the geometry adjustment for the 20" wheels (the 20s sold on their own by Tesla come with different upper links that need to be installed with the wheels). So jury is out on if this is an actual "upgrade" or not.

The brakes are certainly a significant upgrade...if you plan to use the car on the track. Otherwise they'll do nothing for you except prevent you from mounting factory 18" wheels.

So as others have noted a lot of folks may get a better "performing" car skipping the 5k upgrade and doing aftermarket parts as appropriate (better, likely wider, tires to start), and possibly for less total money depending what parts they go with (and what their intended use is, and what the details of the suspension change is on the performance pack)

It's true resale wise you won't get value back on aftermarket mods- but you'll only get a fraction back on the 5k upgrade anyway-far less than you'd save skipping it entirely if the only upgrade your use needs is the better tires for example.

Reactions: eigenv1