Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Debadging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took off the model s badge... I have done it on my cars before.. I really like the clean look. Here is a quick photo!
debadge.jpg

I did mine yesterday. Heat gun on low setting, some dental floss, and that's it. My detailer got the last bits off today when he came by. Here are before and after pics. I also blacked out that bottom chrome piece...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 1,310
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,439
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    946.1 KB · Views: 1,345
But how is that plate legal???

It's as legal as the one that says "Zero Emissions" from the factory. If it's a new car, in California, you can put whatever you want on the car while you wait for the real plates to come in the mail. Provided of course that you leave the temporary permit in the front window.

I think Jello has just extended the grace period a bit. Like Steve Jobs did for a few years.

Finally debadged my Model S with a heat gun and some dental floss. Removed the adhesive with Carpro Tar X. Polished it with my GG, white LC CCS pad and Wolf's "The Jeweler."

Cleaned it up with some PBL SCP and applied PBL DPC.

Last summer:
_DSC6859_zps70c89097.jpg

Moments ago:
2014-05-25140338_zpsa3c629ea.jpg

i dig the red highlights ... originally i was not a fan of the "dechroming" but wow, has my mind changed.
the car came with the red brake calipers, so I wanted to continue with that theme a little bit ... the front and rear "T"s were simply wrapped, but the center caps on the wheels I had custom-made from here: Make your own center caps ― Online shop 3D wheel center caps ... (they do any color, any logo, any size ... and BTW, you can disregard the part where it says: "To do so - you need to send your logo via email" ... they have the Tesla T on file)

blacking out the chrome, I think, has a lot to do with what body color you go with ... for example, it probably wouldn't look right on a brightly-colored car, like red, maybe ... but I chose this color combo because I wanted more of a "stealth fighter" look ... and the pictures don't really do the matte finish justice, it looks better in person ... (these pics were taken in bright sunlight, and the car looks "shinier" in them than it really is) ... I don't really know how to describe it, but because matte seems to "absorb" light, rather than reflect it, that somehow gives kind of a "sinister" feel to it, or something ... like something isn't quite normal about this car when you look at it, as if it's defying the laws of physics ... (I realize that's a way-over-the-top analysis, but my point is the matte finish just has a "look" or a "feel" to it, in a way that's hard to describe) ... also, I got the carbon fiber interior trim and wanted to continue that theme, so the skinny, upper part of the nosecone, the mirror bodies, and the rear diffuser are wrapped in CF, which I also happen to think compliments the gunmetal and black very well ... so anyhow, I think "dechroming" works with my color combo, but doesn't necessarily work for all colors

- - - Updated - - -

How do you maintain it?
it's a vinyl wrap, so very simple ... mild soap and water ... that's it ... no wax

I am about to wrap my S. I can't wait to debadge as I am sick of messing up my drying towels on the Models S and 85 badges. I will wrap and replace the T though.

Sharp ride flodrab! I am about to do something very similar to mine so I have to say you have great taste!