Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Debadging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I'm trying to debadge the "Model X 75 D" but I noticed that the "Model X D" badge seems to be stuck on with some serious glue, only the "75" part seems to be stuck with normal double sided tape. Any recommendations on defeating the glue without messing up the paint? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20200608_171339.jpg
    20200608_171339.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 565
Last edited:
Get a hair dryer and apply heat uniformly to the badge. Spread the heat around and not just one specific letter / character. Use dental floss behind the characters / letter and work the floss through the glue. That should do it.
Thanks, did you debadge yours? If so what did you use to remove the glue from the car? I have goo gone and goof off but don't know which one would be best. Also was your emblem glued on or did it have the double sided tape?

I didn’t debadge my X but have done it with other cars. Most badges are glued on via some adhesive.

I used goo gone and then wash the car, detail/wax it etc to ensure a smooth final result.
Yeah I debadged my other cars too and luckily they were just stuck on with double sided tape. This is the first time I've seen glue so hopefully it'll be alright. BTW your car looks super clean!

OP can you please share pics when complete. Depending on how old your car is I’m wondering if the shade of paint behind the badges are discolored. Did it leave any glue residues?

highly considering removing “DUAL MOTOR” from mine as well.

Unrelated to the Model X, but in one of Sandy Monroe's Model Y videos, Tesla had punched a hole in the surface to mount the Tesla badge... I wish they hadn't done that. /sigh

Perhaps we need a petition so that Tesla doesn't do the same thing with the Cybertruck.

Cy
Unrelated to the Model X, but in one of Sandy Monroe's Model Y videos, Tesla had punched a hole in the surface to mount the Tesla badge... I wish they hadn't done that. /sigh

Perhaps we need a petition so that Tesla doesn't do the same thing with the Cybertruck.
cybertruck will have zero logo and badges. That’s the new branding strategy

Reactions: MitchV
Hey guys, I'm trying to debadge the "Model X 75 D" but I noticed that the "Model X D" badge seems to be stuck on with some serious glue, only the "75" part seems to be stuck with normal double sided tape. Any recommendations on defeating the glue without messing up the paint? Thanks!

Your hair dryer has to get hot enough too. If it doesn't do the trick, go to Harbor Freight and pick up a heat gun for $10. Apply heat and the adhesive will loosen up. Then take fishing line or floss and slide it behind the letters to get it started and then you can peel.

Once it's peeled off, reapply heat and you'll be able to rub the glue into thicker pieces to pull off. There may be some residual, you can futz with it to get it perfect, try rubbing alcohol, or I typically grab some 3M adhesive remover. Put some of that on a cloth and wipe, no extensive rubbing needed.