Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Debating adding FSD to existing order at $10K

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You mean it may be more jerky, less refined, and the driver may not be as relaxed as it appears?
The more you use it - more you understand its strengths and weaknesses and more you can "relax". You have to be super vigilant at intersections and near dense traffic. Rest of the time is no different than normal AP (though it is all new to you).

If you get it - take it slowly. First use it only on empty / sparce streets, before trying your normal routes. Always keep your hands on the wheel and foot on the brake, ever ready to take over.

Reactions: PACEMD
If you're a technologist, FSD is a nice experiment.

There are much better ways to spend $12k.

People who claim you can relax once you get to know it are well aware that with every beta cycle you again are not relaxed. I don't want to be in my car and treat it like I'm teaching my teenager to drive... every. single. time. I don't spend money to add stress. It's really really far from making your life more relaxed.

But I'm a technologist and I get intrigued by the idea.

Still to this day no one has answered this question: If you buy FSD with the car, the value of the car goes up so likewise your insurance premiums go up. Yet, because FSD is tied to the car, if it gets totaled, you don't get relicensed for a replacement car, because it's an addon. It's a loophole that really makes this whole thing super negative. It's better to buy a car for $12k less and license post de facto and pray you never total your car cause at least your asset costs less to replace. (read as: "There is no replacing that license and it's immutably tied to the car and not the owner"

Hey all, I have been deliberating for weeks on if I should add FSD to my existing order. I was going to in order to expedite my order but held off for fear of resetting my EDD. Well my time has come after a long wait and I have a VIN! When I test drove the MY last year, I incorrectly used FSD so didn't have the best experience with it so decided to opt out on advice of a friend who said Autopilot is good enough.

The whole purpose of getting the car was to take long road trips with the family and have less fatigue. Most of what I have seen say getting FSD for EAP isn't really worth it beyond the auto lane change. However recently I have been taking a look at the latest FSD updates for city streets driving on Beta 10.11.2 and have been very impressed. I feel like most of the people who say don't get it, maybe tried it out as a subscription for a month and used EAP or those that paid for it years ago and have had a long wait and are not on Beta. I am very into tech and can see the potential in the software.

A couple of questions, those that are on Beta, do we realistically think that Beta will be opened up for everyone by the end of the year (as of now they are not allowing anyone else in). Do we think the subscription price will hold at $199 for some time or do we see steady increases there (at some point it if it's too much they won't have subscribers)? Would you say the resale value on it is 50%? Wondering if it is worth the $10K upfront cost now to lock it in if I plan to keep the car at least 7 years.
I am still a newbie but also a tech lover and an AI addict. I follow Elon on YouTube and watch weekly to see what’s coming and I have no regrets. I can’t see any reason not to get it other than not being able to afford it. I have already received and update. I can only tell you my personal experience which has been mostly positive. I find roundabouts scary but am able to predict what she will do now and gently apply brakes before we get there s she doesn’t lock them up on approach. Construction will confuse her sometimes but she errs on the cautious side and we’re learning together but she is much smarter than any driver I know and I trust her more with my kids behind the wheel than I do any of their friends driving them so I looked at it like an insurance policy on my family. I can’t put a price on that.

I also do long road trips to Yale @ 8+ hrs, and to McGill @ 6+hrs, to visit my kids and those are a dream come true now, since I had a concussion years ago and used to get very tired when I had to drive long distances and now I’m not drained when I arrive.

All the best and be safe, whatever you decide. 😊