TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Debating dark ash vs. CF trim

Discussion in 'Model X' started by CurrentRide, Dec 5, 2015.

1. CurrentRide

CurrentRide Member

I have ordered the blue metallic paint and ultra white seats, but am struggling with the trim decision. Does anyone have a good photo of the dark ash trim from the reveal event? An advantage for CF would be the ability to match aftermarket accessories and wraps. Confirm date is tomorrow.

2. muleferg

muleferg Member

3. bobbykansara

bobbykansara Member

I agonized over the exact same decision. I ordered Red + Ultra white interior + Carbon Fiber. The Ash is very dark and glossy (similar to what piano black used to be). Tesla sales rep said that CF is the most popular choice in the Model S, so I went with that. CF seems a little more modern. The Ash seems more classic. Go with the type of style that fits the look you're going for. You can't go wrong either way.

4. madodel

madodel X at the end of a rainbow

I went with the Dark Ash. In the Design Studio, use Ctrl-+ several times to zoom in on the view of the selected interior. That was what my DS suggested when I asked if they had a sample, which they didn't. The dark ash is very dark, almost black, with a very fine grain. I'm hoping that is a good choice with the Ultra White seats.

5. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Elon's X has the Dark Ash trim, so the pictures of it from the reveal should have some shots of the trim.

6. timf

timf Member

7. rdalcanto

rdalcanto Member

The figured Ash looked too much like the cheap, fake wood interior that was in our 2006 Chevy Suburban. The wife wanted CF.

8. CarlK

CarlK Member

I'm considering exactly the same exterior and interior colors. My top trim choices are also CF and dark ash. My S has CF trim which is sporty and modern but I feel the dark ash may have a more luxury look. The X is wife's car she may prefer luxury than sporty. The difference with X is the trim is also applied to the door panels and more visible. I won't be able to make the decision until we looked at the dark ash in person but looking at the picture above I do feel CF might be a better match for the interior color theme unless the dark ash is real dark.

9. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

The Dark Ash is definitely real dark. Almost piano black. It also has a shiny finish. The trim in the simulated X is figured ash which has a more matte finish.

10. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I think Matte Obeche is a good choice if you don't want shiny.

11. CurrentRide

CurrentRide Member

I ended up going with CF. Eventually, we may get an aftermarket 2nd row console, and it will probably be easier to match carbon fiber than the dark ash.

Final Build:
    P90D
    AP
    Blue metallic paint
    6 seats
    Ultra white seats
    CF trim
    20" silver wheels
    High fidelity audio upgrade
    Towing package

12. muleferg

muleferg Member

Congratulation. Good choice. Keep us informed on the delivery date.

13. CarlK

CarlK Member

It sounds like a good match for black and white interior. I wonder if anyone could provide an image of it?

14. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

There are a couple so so pictures of it from Elon's X at the reveal event. So so because they are pictures of other things that just sort of catch the trim.

15. CarlK

CarlK Member

Someone posted a picture at TM of a delivery car that has dark ash trim. Open the full image of the red car in your browser to see it. It looks pretty nice to me.

Sign into My Tesla | Tesla Motors