Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Debating jumping on the S75 RWD. Is that nuts in Canada?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys

I've been playing the waiting game on upgrading to a new MS. Currently have an 85 2014 CPO w 74,000 km that I picked up earlier this year. I've been holding out based on all of the variables that are up in the air right now.

...but I'm wondering if I should pull the trigger here.

I'm going to be buying a base car, but am happy with that. I like the multi pattern....glass roof is standard, i get air suspension, faster drive train, AP 2.5, etc

The S75 will literally come to $75k after the Ontario rebate, and referral. That seems reasonable, and not too far off the mark for a fully equipped Model 3. That puts the payment exactly where mine is now...especially because the finance rate is 1.99 until Oct 1.

The AWD is nearly $7k more. It adds roughly $80 a month, which is doable, but theres something that feels good about not adding more costs to the monthly and getting a new car with Autopilot hardware and the facelift.

I just bought a new set of Nokian Hakka winters. Is it crazy not to spend the extra $7k for the D model. Am i missing anything here? My plan B would be to order the 75D next week to take advantage of the 1.99 interest rate, but would risk missing out on any major changes in the next couple of months.

Opinions needed!

Thanks

I've never had issues in winter with RWD and good tires. Only thing I'd miss is the heated steering wheel which sadly is bundled with PUP now. I would order on Sunday and if there's significant changes at least you can cancel or reorder without penalty.

Hey Guys

I've been playing the waiting game on upgrading to a new MS. Currently have an 85 2014 CPO w 74,000 km that I picked up earlier this year. I've been holding out based on all of the variables that are up in the air right now.

I'm going to be buying a base car, but am happy with that. I like the multi pattern....glass roof is standard, i get air suspension, faster drive train, AP 2.5, etc

The S75 will literally come to $75k after the Ontario rebate, and referral. That seems reasonable, and not too far off the mark for a fully equipped Model 3. That puts the payment exactly where mine is now...especially because the finance rate is 1.99 until Oct 1.

The AWD is nearly $7k more. It adds roughly $80 a month, which is doable, but theres something that feels good about not adding more costs to the monthly and getting a new car with Autopilot hardware and the facelift.

I just bought a new set of Nokian Hakka winters. Is it crazy not to spend the extra $7k for the D model. Am i missing anything here? My plan B would be to order the 75D next week to take advantage of the 1.99 interest rate, but would risk missing out on any major changes in the next couple of months.

Opinions needed!

Thanks
There's nothing wrong with RWD.
I had an 85 2013 for 3 years and went up n the mountains in Winter and never ever had an issue.
The weight of the car plus the torque generated from the motor is unbelievable! No need to get caught up in the hype of AWD!
The only reason Tesla capitulated was because prospective owners were complaining saying their Audis and Benz's had AWD.
The only advantage would be slightly longer range as two motors work more efficiently than one!

AWD is definitely better in the winter, and it's more efficient so you get more range.

I drove through five winters with an RWD car. It's not horrible. It really helps if you have excellent snow tires - XIce3 or Nokkian Hakkas. But even with the really good tires you might occasionally get stuck on modest inclines. I got stuck a couple of times per winter.

Reactions: TomatoOne and Jaff
I see your dilemma.

The gigantic frunk space was a good argument for RWD before, but now that's gone.

With AWD you'll be safe (plus you'll shave off some 0-60 time), but I think you'll be good with RWD and studded Hakkapeliitta's. Don't worry. You'll get a great car no matter what!

I've never had issues in winter with RWD and good tires. Only thing I'd miss is the heated steering wheel which sadly is bundled with PUP now. I would order on Sunday and if there's significant changes at least you can cancel or reorder without penalty.

I would get awd 100% of the time.

The new cars are even quicker and torquier than your older one, and that means more spin in the dry rain and of course snow.

The upgrade to awd is certainly expensive but consider that
A) you'll get most if the money back when you sell
B) in Canada the awd cars are higher demand which means you'll get everything more of your money back in a way as selling an awd car will be far easier.

Getting cars this powerful with rwd seems a bit backwards. If you can't put the power down what's the point.

AWD is definitely better in the winter, and it's more efficient so you get more range.

I drove through five winters with an RWD car. It's not horrible. It really helps if you have excellent snow tires - XIce3 or Nokkian Hakkas. But even with the really good tires you might occasionally get stuck on modest inclines. I got stuck a couple of times per winter.

Hey Doug. Did you get your new car last winter? I'm curious how much better the AWD is on the same tires?

I see your dilemma.

The gigantic frunk space was a good argument for RWD before, but now that's gone.

With AWD you'll be safe (plus you'll shave off some 0-60 time), but I think you'll be good with RWD and studded Hakkapeliitta's. Don't worry. You'll get a great car no matter what!

No studded tires allowed here in Ontario lunitiks...that said, the Nokians are great winter tires!

Hey Guys

Opinions needed!

Thanks

I think many of us Canadians have gone through the same thought process as you have. When I test drove the Model S, it was a RWD model. I insisted to the sales guy that I wanted a "D". He was pretty adamant that because of the weight of car, all you needed was a good set of winter tires and you'd be fine.

Even though I chose a D, I have read from a lot of people here that their RWD models do fine in the snow provided they have good winter tires.

Reactions: hingisfan
Honestly the bigger issue is battery capacity in the cold, rather than AWD.

Back in the day I wouldn't have touched the 40 in Canada. And the 60 was dubious for the colder regions. But the 75 should be okay; it's not that much smaller than the original "big" 85, and I never came close to having an issue with it.

You won't regret an S75.

Honestly the bigger issue is battery capacity in the cold, rather than AWD.

Back in the day I wouldn't have touched the 40 in Canada. And the 60 was dubious for the colder regions. But the 75 should be okay; it's not that much smaller than the original "big" 85, and I never came close to having an issue with it.

You won't regret an S75.

Agree Doug...what's nuts is sticking with an ICE vehicle as your daily driver. ;)

Hey Guys...just an update here. I found an inventory 75D that was discounted $5700, exactly how I wanted it equipped in the right colour. It has the standard Air Suspension, AP 2.5 hardware, 4,4 second acceleration, and all of the bells and whistles that have been added in the last couple of months. It's a late August build date. I pulled the trigger on the weekend to take advantage of the 1.99 interest.

Very excited. Thanks for the insight.