Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Debating new Model S LR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Zero CO2

a long term goal
Supporting Member
Apr 24, 2017
A Mountain in NY
probably going to jump on the $69420 MS LR+ ... need some help from the experts here did a comparison to my current MS 2017 75 not sure if i got all the stats right ... can some please take a look and correct me where i might be off especially on LR+ battery size... unfortunately i have not kept up on the MS improvements but it looks like there are many....

also any comments on LR+ experience thus far is appreciated

upload_2020-10-16_14-26-48.png

IIRC, late 2017 S75 was uncorked and 0-60mph is 4.3s. I think the only major change (besides range) is the adaptive air suspension. Other changes are either minor or upgradable (MCU2, AP3).

Of course the price now is much better than 3 years ago.

Last edited:
IIRC, late 2017 S75 was uncorked and 0-60mph is 4.3s. I think the only major change (besides range) is the adaptive air suspension. Other changes are either minor or upgradable (MCU2, AP3).

Of course the price now is much better than 3 years ago.
I think only the 75D is uncorked ... i have the 75 ... I missed air suspension in my comparison

also i think i have AP 2 and MCU 1 so that would be over $10K to upgrade i think

appreciate the input

If I was road tripping a lot right now I’d definitely be jumping on the LR+ train. Currently have a deposit down for a plaid. We took a long road trip and honestly having more range and not having to stop as often or be able to drive at higher speeds (in places where the speed limit is 80-85mph. I was forced to drive the actual limit not the 5 over that I typically drive) for my normal needs the 241 I currently have is more than enough. Maybe add up how much it will cost you in supercharging (knowing you can use your own referral code for the first 1000 miles) when you nav to the supers it should tell you how much the rate is at each super. For me had I paid for the 3400 mile trip I took would have been around $150. Vs the $280 I spent last time in my ICE (Prius)

The new Model 3 Long Range is a way better value for ~$22,000 less and only ~50 miles less.

Also can spend $2k for the acceleration boost and will have the same 3.7 0-60 time as well

R.I.P. Model S
Model 3 does not meet my requirements for looks and size ... i know a lot of folks think Model S is dead but its not what range is model 3? this is the model S thread :)

and more importantly my wife like the model S ... so there's that

The new Model 3 Long Range is a way better value for ~$22,000 less and only ~50 miles less.

Also can spend $2k for the acceleration boost and will have the same 3.7 0-60 time as well

R.I.P. Model S

Such over simplification of a complex comparison! Model 3 comes no where near the model S in ride quality, cabin comfort, and trunk utility.

If I was road tripping a lot right now I’d definitely be jumping on the LR+ train. Currently have a deposit down for a plaid. We took a long road trip and honestly having more range and not having to stop as often or be able to drive at higher speeds (in places where the speed limit is 80-85mph. I was forced to drive the actual limit not the 5 over that I typically drive) for my normal needs the 241 I currently have is more than enough. Maybe add up how much it will cost you in supercharging (knowing you can use your own referral code for the first 1000 miles) when you nav to the supers it should tell you how much the rate is at each super. For me had I paid for the 3400 mile trip I took would have been around $150. Vs the $280 I spent last time in my ICE (Prius)
yup i get it ... that is how it has been lately ... i knew going in almost 4 years ago the time would come that the range would be an issue ... good luck with the plaid... i cant wait that long ... or justify it economically:rolleyes:

It's not clear to me what the value is in comparing the cost of a 4 year old car when it was new with the cost of a brand new car today. You're not "saving" $3,280 by buying a new car, which seems to be what you're trying to convince yourself of in the delta column.

I mean, if you want a new car, buy a new car - but this doesn't seem like a particularly useful decision making matrix.

Also, would you really buy a new Model S without a single option? And you forgot the mandatory $1200 destination fee not included in the $69,420. And sales tax, etc. etc.

It's not clear to me what the value is in comparing the cost of a 4 year old car when it was new with the cost of a brand new car today. You're not "saving" $3,280 by buying a new car, which seems to be what you're trying to convince yourself of in the delta column.

I mean, if you want a new car, buy a new car - but this doesn't seem like a particularly useful decision making matrix.

Also, would you really buy a new Model S without a single option? And you forgot the mandatory $1200 destination fee not included in the $69,420. And sales tax, etc. etc.

did you really need to make this comment ... i don't think so ....it is not very helpful

i am less concerned about the price ... i don't think you actually looked a the table TBH ...

i my memory is correct the equivalent vehicle to the LR+ in 2017 was the P100D with many of the options i think probably over $100K at that time ... so i beg to differ

it shows how much additional feature functionality is in a roughly equivalent price(not account for time value of $) .. hence the pace of innovation at Tesla ... which also convinced me to lease this time around as it makes no sense to purchase a Tesla with the pace of improvement

• Disagree
Reactions: whitex and ucmndd
did you really need to make this comment ... i don't think so ....it is not very helpful

i am less concerned about the price ... i don't think you actually looked a the table TBH ...

i my memory is correct the equivalent vehicle to the LR+ in 2017 was the P100D with many of the options i think probably over $100K at that time ... so i beg to differ

it shows how much additional feature functionality is in a roughly equivalent price(not account for time value of $) .. hence the pace of innovation at Tesla ... which also convinced me to lease this time around as it makes no sense to purchase a Tesla with the pace of improvement

Like I said man, you want to get a new car, get a new car.

Seems we probably approach these decisions from different perspectives. "The equivalent vehicle to the LR+ in 2017 was the P100D with many of the options i think probably over $100K at that time", nor the "pace of improvement" would have any bearing on whether or not I need/want a new car. I honestly can't decipher how that plays into the decision at all.

But, again. You do you. If this is the sort of convincing you need to pull the trigger... by all means.

I have a 2015 70D that was about $80k and I have done the same chart in my head.

I think it is instructive to see what you paid for back then and how much more you get now - which helps justify the purchase.

I haven't driven a Raven so I was going to try that out. That would be the biggest change for me I think - I already have AWD and AP. I don't need the range so I can't justify it on that basis. We have a M3LR for road trips and while this would be better for road trips in every way, it just isn't that much better....

To me the real comparison would be Model Y to the S since I would want one car with a hatch. Then if you require sub 4 sec 0-60, the true comparison is a Model Y performance to the S. The price delta is just $10k at that point. The range difference is large and the Raven suspension is pretty significant.

The other point for me is the value of my car which I still think is about $25k despite the recent price drops because that is still really far away from $70k.

• Informative
Reactions: Zero CO2

To me, if you know you are the type of person who needs a new car every 3 year, then lease is better option. (and looks like you are since yours was 2017)
Otherwise buy is always the better option if you are the type to have the car for longer term.