Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Debating pulling the trigger on Model 3, welcome any thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all -

Recently test drove the 3 and S and liked the minimalism of the 3 more, but the S was more comfortable. Would love to have an S with the interior of a 3 :) Currently have a BMW 5 series.

A few things are holding me back from ordering a 3 right now -

1. I have an infant and will have another kid in the next few years. Generally it seems like people are fine with car seats in the 3, but wondering if it might make sense to wait and get an X (or Y) down the line. Some friends are telling me that the 3 is going to be rough with kids (my wife has an SUV if it matters). Any opinions from people with kids?

2. I did like the size/comfort of the S, but the rest of it felt more traditional/old school than the 3. I know there's been a lot of chatter about there not being an upcoming refresh for the S but seems like they'll have to update it in the next few years if they want to sell any more units, right? Wondering if it makes more sense to hold off and see what next refresh/generation looks like.

3. General concerns with build quality/poor service etc. - seems like there's not much you can do other than cross your fingers and hope you dont get a lemon/into an accident.

4. Most importantly - Blue with white interior or Red with black ???

Hi all -

Recently test drove the 3 and S and liked the minimalism of the 3 more, but the S was more comfortable. Would love to have an S with the interior of a 3 :) Currently have a BMW 5 series.

1. I have an infant and will have another kid in the next few years. Generally it seems like people are fine with car seats in the 3, but wondering if it might make sense to wait and get an X (or Y) down the line. Some friends are telling me that the 3 is going to be rough with kids (my wife has an SUV if it matters). Any opinions from people with kids?

2. I did like the size/comfort of the S, but the rest of it felt more traditional/old school than the 3. I know there's been a lot of chatter about there not being an upcoming refresh for the S but seems like they'll have to update it in the next few years if they want to sell any more units, right? Wondering if it makes more sense to hold off and see what next refresh/generation looks like.

3. General concerns with build quality/poor service etc. - seems like there's not much you can do other than cross your fingers and hope you dont get a lemon/into an accident.

Is this any way to buy a new expensive car? Lol.

Blue with white!
blue.jpg

Reactions: VRUNNER
Hi all -

I was in the same boat debating b/t the 3 and a CPO S (with 2 kids). The 3 is the perfect size minus the trunk space of the S. If the S had a real 7 seat option (I rejected a rear facing seat S) I would buy it.

Quality is fine and panel gaps don't take away the safest build (per IIHS)

1. I have an infant and will have another kid in the next few years. Generally it seems like people are fine with car seats in the 3, but wondering if it might make sense to wait and get an X (or Y) down the line. Some friends are telling me that the 3 is going to be rough with kids (my wife has an SUV if it matters). Any opinions from people with kids??

I have two high school aged boys and can say that there's no way I would have wanted to haul them around in the Model 3 when they were little. If it would be your primary car for the kids and/or you'd be driving them around a lot in it, I'd vote no. If not, then go for it.

If you don't care about losing $2000 (federal) and you are not on tight budget, I would get Model S or wait until Model Y. Model Y will be best for kids.

If you care about range/efficiency, get model 3. Myself I wouldn't mind about hauling kids in model 3, there more than enough room and model 3 is only few years old compare to Model S.

AS far as colors, I would get Red and Black with kids inside or those white seats will not be so white after a while, LOL. I actually for blue and black, I love it. :)

Interior length of Model 3 smaller than S by 1/4" or so; so nearly similar leg space. Model S gives you more width; when you're still using rear-facing seats, S will make a difference for rear passengers. Personally, it works for us. Family of 4 with a 7-yo and 3-yo. While rear-facing, there was still enough room to put seat behind me and still adjust driver seat accordingly (I'm only 5' 6" though). Passenger seat has plenty of room regardless. The big seat of 3-yo makes it tight for an adult to use the middle seat, but doable. For 7-yo's booster seat we bought a buckle extender because the rear buckles seem beyond flush with the seat.

You're going to want to watch Ben's video:

I understand why everyone pushes so hard to get PPF or similar. Small little chips in paint just from daily commute over the past 9-months. If I ever win the lottery, I'll get paint correction and PPF. For now, I just live with the car, blemishes and all. :(

Our white interior stands up well with whatever the kids throw at it, step on it with, spill on it, smear in it, etc. That said, this burgundy/black two-tone is a work of art: Two tone Burgundy/Black Autoflex paint on Model3.

I've got a 3 with two small kids, 5 and 2 and I love it. Even though the 3 is smaller, it has a deceiving amount of room and the rated cargo capacity numbers don't make sense. Tesla rates it at 15 cubic feet including the frunk but many have found it to be much larger. Like this guy-
, Realistically, everything added up, it has more cargo capacity then your 5 series despite being 3 series size.

Tesla definitely doesn't have the same QC standards as BMW, I won't pretend it does for a minute but I'm finding they aren't that most issues aren't nearly as big of a deal as some make them out to be, nor are they as frequent as some think. Are they perfect and will everyone you deal with throughout the entire organization be prompt and professional? Not necessarily. Will you love your car? yes.

Reactions: Phlier