Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Debating whether to buy a Key Fob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had a loaner S75 for the last 3 weeks, and can say that I really miss the phone key. One of the main reasons I can't wait to get my 3 back. My phone works about 95% of the time without taking it out of my pocket and waking it up. I was SHOCKED to find out that the Model S key fob had worse performance - there have been 7-8 times over the last week in which I approached the S and the handles did not present, I sort of had to tap on them for 5-10 seconds before they would open. And, I learned the first day with the rental that it is possible to lock the fob in the car if it's left in the cup holder. From that point on the key had to stay in my pocket 100% of the day, which is just one more thing to carry around.

Agree with previous post that it is nice for remote trunk opening and closing though, if that is important to you may be worth it. Or if you use summon a ton...

I thought that I would buy a fob when they hit the market, but after driving 8+ months with just the phone as a key, I wouldn't consider it. iPhone X has been 99% effective, and the key card has not been an issue with valet parking. (Although I did buy a clear plastic "wallet" case to hand to the valet staff. I keep it in the console.)

I rarely ever have a hard time connecting to the car, even when the phone is buried in my bag. The only issue that seems to be a constant problem is connecting to summon the car. Kind of hard to demo a cool feature if the car doesn't respond...

Consider driving for a month or so with just the phone, and then decide.

I LOVE not having a key. Nothing to forget. I put a key card in my wallet and carry my phone everywhere. There's nothing more convenient than walking away from the car and hearing it lock or walking up to the car and just opening the door. I'm never going back!!

I'm curious. I've seen a few posts here that indicate if your phone key doesn't unlock the car you must use the key card. Does the Tesla App allow you to unlock the car like my S? Is it more of a hassle to use the app than the key card?

Yes, the app let you unlock (and 'start') the car from the phone- that's why I said if you're gonna take something out of your pocket anyway it might as well be the phone since unlike the fob it at least has a CHANCE of not needing to come out of your pocket to work :)

Reactions: Brass Guy
If it had passive entry it'd be worthwhile... it doesn't though so if you already have to take something out of your pocket, make it the phone, which for some folks already works passive 100% of the time, and even if you have a less reliable phone still will work passive more often than the 0% of the time the fob does.

I believe passive isn't possible w/ the 3 or is it a matter of waiting for v2.0 of the fob?

and nw
I'm not sure why it wouldn't be possible- the phone does passive on the 3 (as do fobs on the S and X)

Hell my 12 year old Lexus I had before the Model 3 did passive with just a credit card key let alone a fob.

surprised they didn't do it then. Wonder if there is an aftermarket passive FOB that can be programmed? I know you CAN'T do generics with my Highlander

:)I've had my Model 3 for two months. I initially used the phone app and the key card, preferring key card. The only problem, I was swiping it too low on the drivers pillar and it was frustrating getting it to work. I finally figured it out. I checked everyday waiting for the key fob to be back in stock. Once it was, I ordered it. Tesla should offer a passive key fob, but I still like the non passive one I have. It's small and easy to carry in my pocket. Once you get the two quick presses to unlock and one to lock, it becomes second nature. I'm not one to carry my phone on me everywhere I go. The Tesla key fob works best for me.

20190619_170706.jpg

My experience with an iPhone is it mostly works, then on occasion I get the request for the key card. When that happens, just touching my phone home button through pants pocket, I get access through the open unlocking.
Curious how many requests via the phone app to re-enter password, seem like those coincide with updates?

My experience with an iPhone is it mostly works, then on occasion I get the request for the key card. When that happens, just touching my phone home button through pants pocket, I get access through the open unlocking.
Curious how many requests via the phone app to re-enter password, seem like those coincide with updates?

good point. Work makes me use lock or fingerprint.

Also BTW today is delivery day and the Tesla app stops on T logo ??

We have a 3 and the phone works for the primary driver 99% of the time. She and I both have iPhone Xs’ but mine only works like 10% of the time. When I reach for the handle and it opens I’m usually surprised because it almost never works. If I take my iPhone out of my pocket, launch the Tesla app and switch to her car (I drive an S) then it works, but what a pain. Yes I’ve tried leaving the app on her car and it made no difference. I bought the fob recently to have and also I think it would be easier when you have to give the valet a key rather than a card key.

Yes, you do need to have your app set to the car you want access to.

Page 8 of the 5/16/19 manual:
"Note: If multiple vehicles are linked to the Tesla Account, you must switch the mobile app to the Model 3 that you want to access before you can use the phone as a key."

Maybe the reason when you said even with the app left on her car it doesn't open has more to do with the position of the phone to the car (read people said if in front pocket facing car will work but not in back pants pocket with body facing car).

I'm accessing with a iPhone XMax and having pretty consistently good access results. During the winter however when it was raining no less, I found myself having to pull out the phone in the rain and stand under our house eave to try to stay dry while trying to access the car. Not sure if this had something to do with the software version I was on. Felt stupid standing out there and a number of times had to turn off bluetooth and turn it back on for it to work. Bought a fob for consistent access during those times. Also agree it's better to give to a valet than a key card.