Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Debit card removed from Tesla account

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I received the attached email from what appears to be a genuine Tesla email addy, ([email protected]), sent to the email address I have registered with Tesla. I think it's legit, though the explanation of the payments issue isn't very well described. I logged in to my account and the card payment details have indeed been removed, so I'm *pretty* sure it's not a scam..

Any views? Anyone had similar?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210623-224059_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20210623-224059_Gmail.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 180
So I received the attached email from what appears to be a genuine Tesla email addy, ([email protected]), sent to the email address I have registered with Tesla. I think it's legit, though the explanation of the payments issue isn't very well described. I logged in to my account and the card payment details have indeed been removed, so I'm *pretty* sure it's not a scam..

Any views? Anyone had similar?

Yes, I got the same message (timed at 19:45) - since there's no link to follow it shouldn't be any kind of scam.
You have to find your own way to your Tesla account to resolve.

Reactions: Adopado
Just visited my Tesla account and the card payment section was empty.
Put the same card details back in and it looks like the system is happy for now.

Whatever happened must have been since the 18th June since I made two successful supercharger visits driving from Preston to Southampton on Friday 18th.
(Keele southbound and Warwick southbound)

Just visited my Tesla account and the card payment section was empty.
Put the same card details back in and it looks like the system is happy for now.

Whatever happened must have been since the 18th June since I made two successful supercharger visits driving from Preston to Southampton on Friday 18th.
(Keele southbound and Warwick southbound)
Out of curiosity, what would happen in this situation if you had ignored the email because you thought it was a scam?

Would you be unable to Supercharge and if so, would the car display a message explaining why?

Out of curiosity, what would happen in this situation if you had ignored the email because you thought it was a scam?

Would you be unable to Supercharge and if so, would the car display a message explaining why?
I imagine it would be the same as an expired card, you'd be allowed to supercharge once but would start getting notifications and fairly quickly the car would refuse to charge.

I didn't think it was a scam, but at the same time when I logged in to my Tesla account my debit card was still on the account. It was only from going to the Tesla Owners UK Facebook group that I found out that there might be a delay before Tesla removed people's cards from their account. Sure enough, a while later, my card details did indeed vanish from my Tesla account.

The wording of the email does seem odd, almost suggestive of a compromise of their systems, but I guess it's not.

I had a "similar" issue a couple of weeks ago. First time supercharing for a good while and it let me complete the session but then pinged loads of warnings to the app (and screen) saying my card was invalid. I checked and the card was fine, plus I also confirmed with the bank. I had to 'phone the missus and ask her to add an alternative card to cover me for the return journey. All a bit odd and the original card Tesla rejected continues to work elsewhere. I might try adding it back in to see what happens

I didn't think it was a scam, but at the same time when I logged in to my Tesla account my debit card was still on the account. It was only from going to the Tesla Owners UK Facebook group that I found out that there might be a delay before Tesla removed people's cards from their account. Sure enough, a while later, my card details did indeed vanish from my Tesla account.

The wording of the email does seem odd, almost suggestive of a compromise of their systems, but I guess it's not.
I’d better check mine again, I got the email and checked the account and my card details were still there.