Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dec 2021 M3P HV battery replaced - have they fitted the right one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was told by Chester SC in October my Dec 2021 M3P needed a new HV Battery and the replacement was fitted 10 days ago.

I followed it’s progress on the app and noticed the range at 100% charge was 289 miles. This is roughly 10% less than the original battery.

I messaged the SC raising concerns about this as the charging stats match the Dec 2019 M3P model which has the smaller 75 KWH battery.

I enquired on 9 occasions if the replacement HV battery fitted was the 82KWH capacity battery and not the 75 KWH battery fitted to older models, but the answer was not forthcoming. The SC were able to confirm it’s a refurbished battery though.

I was then contacted by the SC manager who informed me they don’t know what the KWH capacity is but it is the correct battery.

I asked if they could make enquiries with the supplier or colleagues to establish the KWH capacity of the battery but they won’t do this. I asked if I could have the supplier’s details so I could make enquiries but they avoided the question.
I was then told to email [email protected]. I doubt they’ll know what the capacity is? I find this very strange….Is it a secret??

The SC manager then stopped my ability to reply by closing down the Service on the App.

I’m pretty confident my concern could have been resolved with a phone call or email.

The part number for the ‘new’ battery is:

ASY,HVBAT,E3,AWD,3PH,M3Y,RMN (1800083-01-C)

Anyone know how to find more information about the battery with the part number?

Many thanks

Reactions: Star K1tty
I only know batteries in terms of

• BT37 which is the E3D and E3CD, 75kWh made by Panasonic
  • BT38 which is the E5D and E5CD, 74.5kWh made by LG
  • BT42 which is the E3LD made, 82.1kWh by Panasonic
  • BT43 which is the E5LD made, 78.8kWh by LG
I think we had the BT37 until the BT43 started being shipped, but I’d need to do some more digging to find out when it actually changed (and if I’m right). I know some thought we had the bigger battery for a while but we didn’t in the U.K., but that might have been the LR, not the P.

Not that helpful at this stage, but as you’re a new poster I have to approve your posts, so I thought I’d also start the discussion.

Just googing

329 is the original (75kwh)

352 is the previous spec to the latest (82kwh)

340 is the current spec (79kwh)

These are all the WLTP figures and not the EPA the car will show. It’s tricky from my phone to look much further.

A Dec 2021 is likely to have had the 79kwh version as that’s the 2022 spec they start building from Nov. Could this be it?

Just googing

329 is the original (75kwh)

352 is the previous spec to the latest (82kwh)

340 is the current spec (79kwh)

These are all the WLTP figures and not the EPA the car will show. It’s tricky from my phone to look much further.

A Dec 2021 is likely to have had the 79kwh version as that’s the 2022 spec they start building from Nov. Could this be it?
Thanks for looking into this. Would a range of 289 miles on 100% charge suggest degradation if it’s the 79 KWH battery?

I appreciate Tesla are within their rights to use a refurbished part for a warranty claim…. But this raises an interesting point. Would a refurbished battery by its nature have ‘degraded’, and what extent is this acceptable? Obviously your car has some wear and tear… but the replaced battery might be ‘degraded’ more than the original (presumably) faulty one.

I followed it’s progress on the app and noticed the range at 100% charge was 289 miles. This is roughly 10% less than the original battery.

The Tesla warranty states that the replacement battery will have at least as much capacity as your prior battery did right before it failed.

The question is, what range did your car report for a 100% charge before it failed? Are you saying your old battery reported 320 on a 100% charge just before it failed?

I appreciate Tesla are within their rights to use a refurbished part for a warranty claim…. But this raises an interesting point. Would a refurbished battery by its nature have ‘degraded’, and what extent is this acceptable? Obviously your car has some wear and tear… but the replaced battery might be ‘degraded’ more than the original (presumably) faulty one.
The warranty says the replacement will be at least as good as the failed battery before it failed...

The Tesla warranty states that the replacement battery will have at least as much capacity as your prior battery did right before it failed.

The question is, what range did your car report for a 100% charge before it failed? Are you saying your old battery reported 320 on a 100% charge just before it failed?

The warranty says the replacement will be at least as good as the failed battery before it failed...
The battery didn’t fail so to speak. Everything appeared to be working ok until I received the attached alert.

I was getting at least 320 miles on a 100% charge with the old battery.

Attachments

• C45AAC32-603D-4EC9-B82D-D32431905030.png
    C45AAC32-603D-4EC9-B82D-D32431905030.png
    837.8 KB · Views: 716

I wonder how they do this…. Do they have a warehouse full of used batteries, segregated by 5% degraded, 7% degraded etc. Or do they just stick in what is cheapest and most convenient for them….. Hmmmmmm

Reactions: goRt
A new battery or a reconditioned battery - which is one where a number of faulty cells have been replaced with new ones wont achieve its maximum until its been charged and discharged a few times, A battery isn't like a bottle being filled with water - in that its always the same volume, a battery is simply a chemical construction and full capacity does take a few cycles, plus the BMS will have to adapt and learn the new state of the battery.

I would run the battery down lowish a few times and fully charge - this should resolve the lack of indicated range.

If you look at the instructions for new mobile phones they always tell you the full capacity will be achieved after a few charging cycles, a battery is a battery whatever its shape.