Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dec 2021 M3P HV battery replaced - have they fitted the right one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, good to just vent my frustration

I’m going to see the service manager tomorrow when I pick up, if I can. Going to ask why it’s ok to have 13% loss of range etc

I’ll fill in the survey tomorrow after the car is left at 100%. Finishes charge tonight.

Reactions: Bistoptom
Mini update here.

Tessie recorded a max miles of 277.5 / 70.7kwh

When I woke the car up, 4 hours later it showed 288 miles, which has since dropped to 286.

Is there any chance the BMS is from the old battery? I doubt it?

Is there any chance the BMS is from the old battery? I doubt it?

There is a value called a CAC - basically the value that the BMS calculates as the amp hour capacity of the battery.

It can be reset (by Tesla) to make car display the as new mileage. Over time, it will then find its own new value range which will vary over time and/or conditions.

1. I’m surprised Tesla do not reset this when swapping the battery although them testing the battery may give a ballpark starting point for value of reconditioned battery although I would be surprised if they could settle on a representative value with many charge/discharge cycles.
2. It’s good that Tesla don’t reset this…
3. Unless they reset it and then tell the customer that it will settle over time which may be many months.
4. CAC is just an estimate, which is not necessarily particularly accurate. It can go up and down hence why displayed range is not a particularly good indicator of actual physical battery degradation.

Had my car back 5-6 weeks now and what a sore piece of crap they have fitted.

It only charged to 96% ish with a range of 280 miles. After much back and forth it now charges to 100%, however that’s not a huge issue and I don’t normally do that. I was told to do it so the BMS could calibrate to the new battery.

Anyway, with every charge the range gets less and less and less. When I left work last night I was at 243 miles at 90%. I got back here with a tiny remaining range (which isn’t normal in the summer, it’s to the point I won’t make it in winter). This morning at 90% the range was 236.

How long till this one dies completely?

IMG_5306.png

It’s 18 months old! 🤯

IHad my car back 5-6 weeks now and what a sore piece of crap they have fitted.

It only charged to 96% ish with a range of 280 miles. After much back and forth it now charges to 100%, however that’s not a huge issue and I don’t normally do that. I was told to do it so the BMS could calibrate to the new battery.

Anyway, with every charge the range gets less and less and less. When I left work last night I was at 243 miles at 90%. I got back here with a tiny remaining range (which isn’t normal in the summer, it’s to the point I won’t make it in winter). This morning at 90% the range was 236.

How long till this one dies completely?

View attachment 947881

It’s 18 months old! 🤯
If their replacement has less than 70% of the capacity of the new one they'll have to replace it under the drive train warranty.

If you're still under the main warranty there is a strong argument that it should be the same part number, and have the same range, as your original before it failed.